Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
Sarixis
<Member>
Sarixis's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 9:21am | Report
What are your opinions on Sona and Soraka as supports in the current meta?

Who do you think they each best pair with in bot lane?

(sorry if that's way too general)
Aezuriel
<Stalker>
Aezuriel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 3:16pm | Report
On off-support builds (e.g. tanky-annie), what do you find is the appropriate gold/per vs stats mix to prevent you from falling off income mid-late game?
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 3:58pm | Report
Question; Alistar has become likely my favorite support to play, but I feel like I'm having trouble closing out games with him. I often stampede the lane and get my ADC fed, but as the game goes on, and my team as a whole makes more mistakes, Im not sure how to lead the team to victory. Any suggestions?
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 4:04pm | Report
Question; Alistar has become likely my favorite support to play, but I feel like I'm having trouble closing out games with him. I often stampede the lane and get my ADC fed, but as the game goes on, and my team as a whole makes more mistakes, Im not sure how to lead the team to victory. Any suggestions?

didn't you want to quit league or something?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 4:14pm | Report
Sarixis wrote:
What are your opinions on Sona and Soraka as supports in the current meta?

Who do you think they each best pair with in bot lane?

(sorry if that's way too general)

Sona: needs to snowball which is hard when you're super susceptible to all ins or jungle ganks, her damage is insane but she's too vulnerable to pretty much everything (even poke as her heal is trash)

Soraka: pretty good but very situational, is susceptible to all ins but has tools to deal with it (stay back and let your adc tank)

They both pair best with carries who have no problem trading aggressively early game. On Sona it means you get a massive bully lane, for Soraka it means that you can just let your ADC trade 1v2 and heal him/her up all the time.

For a more specific answer you should ask a more specific question.

Aezuriel wrote:
On off-support builds (e.g. tanky-annie), what do you find is the appropriate gold/per vs stats mix to prevent you from falling off income mid-late game?

I don't understand this question, care to rephrase?

Get some hard engage items (either talisman or glory) and just force stuff on your own accord. Communicate clearly and take the lead. Wards help a lot if you're looking for picks.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 4:33pm | Report
I take it excessively pinging targets as I go in is not enough for communication? xD
I have been very careful to maintain ward control as much as I can. I feel like a lot of my problems with him may simply be the lack of coordination and communication in general in silver.

Edit: and by forcing things, should I be trying to WQ people and hoping my team follows up, or like a literal forcing an enemy into my team by means of Flash and headbutt?

Edit2: @mastrer shut up. this relapses happen.
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 4:54pm | Report

Sell your items and buy Trinity Force with Infinity Edge plus some AP and just kill everybody.
Aezuriel
<Stalker>
Aezuriel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 19, 2015 4:56pm | Report
Some off-support builds eschew the higher support masteries, but run the risk of falling off in scaling/itemization. Gold/per quints and yellows can help with this but end up trading away potentially valuable stats (like movespeed and health/armor).

How much gold per/10 do you aim for in a build, or how much gold per minute do you try to achieve as a support (when possible)?

Obviously as a support you are giving up gold in favor of your ADC, but what do you find to be your minimum sustainable levels?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2015 12:25am | Report
Aezuriel wrote:
Some off-support builds eschew the higher support masteries, but run the risk of falling off in scaling/itemization. Gold/per quints and yellows can help with this but end up trading away potentially valuable stats (like movespeed and health/armor).

How much gold per/10 do you aim for in a build, or how much gold per minute do you try to achieve as a support (when possible)?

Obviously as a support you are giving up gold in favor of your ADC, but what do you find to be your minimum sustainable levels?

There isn't anything like a minimum sustainable level, just get the items/masteries/runes that you think are best suited for your champion and its playstyle. If that kit allows you to play your champ to its potential (read: dominate your lane/late game) that's just as much a pay-off as gp10. When looking at (passive) gold generation, you must only get it when it is no impairment to your ability to play the champion optimally.

@OTG: Obviously don't engage when you're 3v5 or something like that, but when people are somewhat in position start aggressively pinging on your way pings, pop a movement speed item and start a fight, whether it be a pick (Q-W backwards) or a full fight (W-Q into multiple ppl)
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2015 1:31am | Report
I saw one game in LPL where they were running Teleport on Alistar and obviously on Maokai as well. In the team fights it was huge. The flank just worked perfectly. Maokai could W one of the carries while Alistar could Flash + W the other big threat champion towards their team.

I am not sure how viable this could be but it was interesting to see the opportunities it gave them in team fights.

Actually that was a weird game because they also had Teleport on mid Diana.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide