Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

BETA! New browse page times, check it out!

Creator: Matt October 12, 2012 11:44pm
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 10:07am | Report
Please go with Score. The search function is for readers, not authors. Readers want to find the best guide for the category they're searching for.

Also I think the button should say "Filter" since that's what you're doing. :)
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
BarbJ
<Exceptional Editor>
BarbJ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 10:23am | Report
Why isn't it like to filter for score already?
"Do not rage, do not fear, Joe is here!"
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 10:35am | Report
See my previous message for reasons why it's current by publish date :) Exposure for new guides, showing the fresh content we get every day. Those are the main reasons.
Berzerk
<Member>
Berzerk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 10:38am | Report
I think in the elo range it should have a "highest elo guide" search as opposed to the individual medals. Because as it is now people will start special guest then go downwards.

Check out my complete guide to top lane here.
Check out my Jayce guide here.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 11:10am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:
I suggest Score instead of Date Created because people want guides that are guaranteed to work, or have worked for other people.

That's not what score measures.
Tri lane for life.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 11:27am | Report
Matt wrote:

See my previous message for reasons why it's current by publish date :) Exposure for new guides, showing the fresh content we get every day. Those are the main reasons.

I feel that this should be covered by the New Guides thing on the front page (maybe make it a little bigger or something to show more at once, or add a scroll bar). When I did my arbitrary reviewing, I always looked to the New Guides list. When I was looking for ideas on how to build a champion, I use the browse function and always set it to Score.

I get that giving exposure to new guides is important. I just don't think this specific method is particularly effective, at least in my experience. I could be wrong though.
Thanks to Hoppermh for the sig!
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 12:29pm | Report
Psi is right. You should have it default to searching by score, and then order it so date last updated is 2nd, and then newest is 3rd. then all the others.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 2:00pm | Report
Tem: No, think of it coherently for a second, please. People have voted the guide up because they either tried it, or think it will work. For them. The guide may not work for 272772383830303 elo, but for the majority of users using MobaFire, who are not yet 30, many of the guides here are reasonable for that level. So sorting default by score is beneficial to new users and old members.

Matt, I also agree with Berzerk: there's no need to separate the elos. I understand there are some higher elo people writing guides for MobaFire, but then you're only filtering 1 or 2 guides in total from Plat or Diamond. Like Berzerk said, it would be good just to have a "High Elo" category that encompasses all three.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2012 8:18pm | Report
Hey guys just to shift topics a bit. After reading your comments and discussing things, we're second guessing the "tonnes of check boxes" layout. The original idea was to make it fast and easy to nail down the guide you want but, it's a little overwhelming and possibly unnecessary. There's no reason to pick two maps, and probably not much reason to pick two lanes.

We initially wanted to put map choice just above the guide row, and then hide those two rows with a "More Options" button to show them. This makes it less huge and overwhelming but, a couple of those options are pretty neat and useful, especially the author box, and it sucks to hide them.

So we're considering collapsing a few of those (or all of them) into drop downs. So I guess the question is, how important is it for you to be able to select multiple options for these various fields? And which ones is it most important for, if any?

An alternative could be to have a slim version of the form where it's all drop downs, and then when you click "advanced" it changes into basically what you have now.

Thoughts?
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2012 8:31pm | Report
My vote is for drop downs with a default "Any" option. Right now there isn't a way for an author to fulfill multiple categories anyway.

That way if you just want to browse Top lane Jarvan guides on Summoner's Rift, you can do so without being forced to search for a particular role like AD offtank or Tank.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide