Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Feature Preview: Quick Builder and Search!

Creator: Matt July 30, 2012 11:57pm
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 31, 2012 5:42pm | Report
Wow, this completely obsoletes that coding Psi and I made a few months ago :P Absolutely love it. So simple and will make sharing build ideas extremely easy. What a great idea!

Edit: The only improvement I can think of is adding the skilling order underneath it, or adding a "Q>W>E>R" sort of thing in there!
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 31, 2012 8:39pm | Report
@Mowen, that's actually intentional, I put in special code to remove the mastery point rules just for this. The reason is that if you are trying to search for a guide that uses certain high tier masteries, and you are forced to spend lower tier masteries to unlock them, you may miss out on guides that have those top tiers you want but don't match the bottom tiers you spent. If that makes sense.

I suppose it's a little awkward since it's a combination builder and search. I'm not sure that splitting the two would be any simpler though, we'd have two pages that look almost the same, but one allows embedding and one allows searching. I can't really think of a good way to handle that. Anyone have suggestions for that?

@jhoijhoi, we had originally left skill order out in order to keep it simple, and consider this a max level build. It is also tied to the above issue, that this is a combination search and build tool. It could be confusing to have the skill order there for you to edit, but not have it affect the search results. I suppose we could include it in search results too... Will have to think about it a bit. I would like to include the skills though, even just for convenience of tooltips, but it needs some consideration.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 31, 2012 8:45pm | Report
Jai if you want it to replace the format we were using before, we can just put the skill order in manually underneath.

I'm kinda on the fence as to whether I'm going to rewrite my repository since this new tool only shows the final build, not the full itemization. It does save quite a lot of space though.

@Matt: I think, since it's supposed to be a search tool, you should keep the mastery selection as it is, without any restriction. I understand what Mowen is getting at, but since it's a search function, it needs to have that freedom.

Separating the two would be a little weird. Not sure how that would work. I think it's ok as-is though.

EDIT: I'm not quite sure why the Guides button needs to be in the embedded version. Is it necessary that we have to give everyone a search option when we show them a build using this tool? I would find it a little annoying because I would never post a build with the intention of letting people search for guides with that setup. If someone wants to search for guides using this tool, they can always do it themselves.
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 31, 2012 9:09pm | Report
@Psi

Personally I'd love to search for guides like that. Especially if I said something like

'oh lee sin is a really good champ, i would build him like this' and they can search for guides like that with more information (eg finding duffs build).

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 31, 2012 9:19pm | Report
I'm not sure if the search function is necessary either... for example, if I wanted to use this quick build in my own guide and create a Support Ashe set up, I don't want people clicking on "Search" and being redirected from my own guide, if you know what I mean?

Could it be possible to have a Guide Search and a Quick Build? Or is separating them not necessary?

@Psi: Yeah, I was thinking that. For now I'll just keep what we created, it was unique once :P

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 31, 2012 9:26pm | Report
I would be happy if the search button was simply removed from the embedded build.

@Night: Then the person (who probably doesn't want to look up guides with that build anyway) can go input the information and search for it themselves. Meanwhile, tons of people will be randomly searching for other guides when Jai and I are trying to show them builds. :/

I'm interested in using this tool as a shorthand way to show an endgame build, but if every time I do it redirects my reader, I'm not sure I'd want to use it at all.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2012 12:14am | Report
The button is there for convenience, so it's easy to find similar guides whenever someone suggests a build. It's there for the readers, and removing it hurts the reader experience. Sure they can go enter that information manually but that is a pain in the ***, we're debilitating the reader. If someone is already there reading your guide and you mention some alternative builds, are they really going to stop reading your guide to go read others? I doubt it... We could have it open the search in a new tab I suppose. I dunno, will have to think about it...
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2012 12:54am | Report
I just figured people would want to use the search tool for a few criteria. Say a specific 21-point mastery, a couple items and a couple runes. People who embed the build for viewing purposes are going to have a complete one, which meant the build would have to be exactly the same in order for any search results to show up.

I just don't get why anyone showing/viewing an embedded build would want to search for the whole thing. If you think people will use it then I guess it should stay.
Thanks to Minho for the sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2012 1:15am | Report
I think it's a neat feature and it isn't hurting anyone, but at the same time, I don't think it would be used *too* much as a search function. I see it being used to share build ideas, not builds themselves - like, if possible I could display 2-5 of these in my signature as links to MY guides, but only if I could manually control where it linked to ^^

I get how it is supposed to work, and I would love it on the front page to be able to find a guide that'd suit your gameplay, but I also like it as a simple visual display of a possible build. I guess it doesn't hurt to have it do both :)

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2012 1:57am | Report
Well we have some plans for this feature that require it to work as a search :) I hope people will find it useful for searching as-is, but there is still more to come.

I'm torn about allowing you to remove or override the search button. I'm afraid if we allow it, it's all people will do, and we will have lost what is otherwise an awesome way to get more eyes on a wider array of guides, and convenient at that. We will keep it in mind as we watch how people use it, once we do a full announcement.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide