Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

[Poll] Should Guides Be Sectioned?

Creator: jhoijhoi February 14, 2012 7:30pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Twisted Treeline, Dominion, SR and Jungling
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:05pm | Report
It does apply, that's the point.

There would be a whole section for TT Ashe guides.

Where someone can have a guide that equals mine in score.

Where they don't have to compete with me.

That's why I think it'd be more fair.

With more sections for people to look, more guides will be exposed.

I would rather read a guide completely based upon TT than read a guide that has sections on all types of gameplay because the TT guide will be far more in-depth.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:10pm | Report
Ah, I see your point now.

But, you are saying that instead of a completely in-depth guide about every viable way to play a champion, it's better to write a guide that's only for, let's say, TT. What if you are great in both TT and SR, does that mean you should write 2 guides, one for each category?

by jhoijhoi
Warlemming
<Member>
Warlemming's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:12pm | Report
I like the idea of individual categories for different types of guides (Lane/Jungle etc), and I see no problem with having guides that are marked under multiple sections.

My suggestion is that guides get rated independently for each section. That way, if a general guide on multiple areas IS the better guide/build etc, it can be the highest rated in multiple areas. However, a detailed guide on a single subject can stand out over it, without interfering with other sections.

This also avoids the problem of users submitting guides under every section. If a guide on everything is marked under everything, it might get ratings of 80%, 75%, 77%, whereas a detailed jungle guide marked under everything might get ratings 85% for jungling, 55%, 60% for everything else.
Mikuroo
<Member>
Mikuroo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:17pm | Report
ONGOMGOMG I would love the idea of separate guide for Summoners rift and twisted treeline <3
if it happens I will be like :)
yolo, teemo to strong in low elo
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:19pm | Report
MissMaw: I actually think that probably would be the best idea. When your ideas about how a champion works in a map changes, you'll edit that section of your guide anyway. What's the difference with editing an entirely different guide?

That way, one can see which map you're actually dedicated to. If you wrote a 3v3s section but never updated it again, is it fair for your guide to be at the top of the 3v3s category over a person who has the latest meta changes reflected in their primary 3v3 guide?

Warlemming: I like your idea, but it seems to make everything even more convoluted. I don't even know if MobaFire could handle giving guides different scores based on different categories.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Warlemming
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:21pm | Report
jhoi: It's actually not hard to have multiple scores for a given guide. A database would just need to include more individual scores for a single guide. It would probably have a new database column for handling which sections a guide is marked under, and new columns for each score that applies.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:24pm | Report
War: But how can you trust someone to vote on the guide according to category alone? What if they looked up a jungle Tristana guide, found a Summoner's Rift laning guide with a small jungling category, like the whole guide and gave it an upvote?

This Tristana guide will now become the top lane AND jungle guide despite there being entire guides dedicated solely to jungle Tristana.

♡ sig by arrizen ♡
Warlemming
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:33pm | Report
Jhoi: If I look up a jungling guide for Nasus, and find that a guide that includes a 2 paragraph section and a build in a more general guide for Nasus is more useful to me than a 5 page guide on jungle Nasus, I'm more likely to upvote this guide than the jungle guide. However, this is a fault on the jungle guide writers behalf for having wrote a poor guide, or perhaps a build I disagree with.

Not only that, but for a jungle specific guide is doing worse than a general guide, and is actually receiving downvotes, it means that there is probably useless information or poor suggestions included in it.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:35pm | Report
I support separation by map.

I do not support separation by role.

Therefore, -1.
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:36pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

MissMaw: I actually think that probably would be the best idea. When your ideas about how a champion works in a map changes, you'll edit that section of your guide anyway. What's the difference with editing an entirely different guide?

That way, one can see which map you're actually dedicated to. If you wrote a 3v3s section but never updated it again, is it fair for your guide to be at the top of the 3v3s category over a person who has the latest meta changes reflected in their primary 3v3 guide?

This only goes if we have this system, but with the uncategorized one, it'd be pretty stupid to write 2 guides that are about the same champion, but one is for lane, one is for jungle (another for TT, dom).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide