Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

[Poll] Should Guides Be Sectioned?

Creator: jhoijhoi February 14, 2012 7:30pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Twisted Treeline, Dominion, SR and Jungling
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:24pm | Report
Whatever. If you guys can only think about your own gain ("if I can only put it in one category, then people won't read it!"), then whatever. All I am trying to do is give other guide writers a chance, and if that is not an acceptable idea, so be it.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:26pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Whatever. If you guys can only think about your own gain ("if I can only put it in one category, then people won't read it!"), then whatever. All I am trying to do is give other guide writers a chance, and if that is not an acceptable idea, so be it.

No, you're giving writers of focused guides a better chance than writers of comprehensive ones.

I don't think that's fair.
Thanks to Nyoike for the sig!
omagma
<Member>
omagma's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:29pm | Report
Filters? Yes, great idea.

Split guides? no thanks.
Thanks to me and Elleeeeeka (love that name) for my sigs.
If i made a helpful comment on your guide/build, then hit that +rep button. or don't, its not like i care.
ALL HAIL QUEEN CHRYSALIS!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:32pm | Report
omagma wrote:

Filters? Yes, great idea.

Split guides? no thanks.

Exactly.
Thanks to Hoppermh for the sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:33pm | Report
No, I'm not. People don't jungle until level 20+. Because most people don't know how, or know of the role, or whatever.

Splitting it up into jungle and lane is not detrimental to anyone.

People who look for a jungle guide are people who are looking for a jungle guide.

People who look for an Ashe guide on Summoner's Rift and looking for a laning Ashe guide.

You aren't going to lose viewers if you've written a niche guide.

You aren't going to lose viewers if you've written a broad guide.

By having different categories, it forces the writer to focus on what they know the most.

Then we won't have sloppy small chapters of lane/jungle/Dom when the author just knows about SR or TT.

If you genuinely, genuinely, genuinely have played your champion solo top, middle lane, support, AD carry, in Dominion, in Twisted Treeline, in Summoner's Rift as a jungler and as a tank and even AP, WHY WOULD YOU WRITE ABOUT ALL OF THEM?

In your amazing, 22 hrs per day experience of playing this champion, SURELY you would have found out the most optimal place this champion is played and should focus on writing the guide for that optimal build in that optimal role in the optimal map.

There's no need to pretend you know everything about every single map. You don't need to write an encyclopaedic about that champion. Let others have a chance at writing something. Let others have a ******* chance.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Mikuroo
<Member>
Mikuroo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:34pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

That would mess up the scoring, as I said. That's not fair to the author. If I write the best possible lee sin guide with comprehensive jungling and laning sections, it should be the #1 guide. I shouldn't have to say it's a "Jungle" guide and lose half my viewership.

could we possibly put it in all sections it covers , and count on the members of mobafire to report/tell people if they hve posted in the wrong section?
yolo, teemo to strong in low elo
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:40pm | Report
^Not really. Unless you're a member here and have been for a while, and know all the rules, how can you be expected to know when to report someone for something?

♡ sig by me ♡
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:42pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

You aren't going to lose viewers if you've written a niche guide.

You aren't going to lose viewers if you've written a broad guide.

By having different categories, it forces the writer to focus on what they know the most.

Then we won't have sloppy small chapters of lane/jungle/Dom when the author just knows about SR or TT.

No, niche guides will get more publicity because of the new organization. They won't have to compete with the broader guides because of the following.

Broad guides WILL lose viewers if you're forced to filter it for either laning or jungling. Even if you write a great guide for laning and jungling, if you put it in the jungle section ONLY the readers looking for a jungle build will see it. Your lane build will be pretty much wasted, and not only will the author lose viewers, but the other readers might be missing out on a lot of information because they're only looking at the lane guides. There may be a way to make this work, but I'm not seeing it.

And yes, skimpy chapters on a variety of roles is generally worse than detailed chapters about a single role. This may be a problem with a lot of guides, but I do believe that there are people who pull off writing a broad guide successfully.

jhoijhoi wrote:

If you genuinely, genuinely, genuinely have played your champion solo top, middle lane, support, AD carry, in Dominion, in Twisted Treeline, in Summoner's Rift as a jungler and as a tank and even AP, WHY WOULD YOU WRITE ABOUT ALL OF THEM?

In your amazing, 22 hrs per day experience of playing this champion, SURELY you would have found out the most optimal place this champion is played and should focus on writing the guide for that optimal build in that optimal role in the optimal map.

There's no need to pretend you know everything about every single map. You don't need to write an encyclopaedic about that champion. Let others have a chance at writing something. Let others have a ******* chance.

I agreed to separation by map. I know of no one capable of writing a huge, comprehensive guide for every single map and role for a champion. The gameplay on each map is so different that I do think they should be separated.

But there's a difference between writing a guide for every possible role on every single map, and combining a lane and jungle guide.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
Mikuroo
<Member>
Mikuroo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:42pm | Report
well no but tell them if their guide is in the wrong section, if they don't agree, report
dunno if that's too much work for the web managers tho cuz they may have to change alot of guides
it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a guides in the wrong section either.
yolo, teemo to strong in low elo
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:51pm | Report
Psi: It still comes down to the same base premise. Would you rather read a guide covering all aspects of a champion when you're looking for a jungle guide, or will you more likely want to read a jungle guide?

The fact that MobaFire doesn't allow for searches for "jungle guides", that the tag system doesn't work, that I have to Google Search a jungle guide, that I literally have to trawl through pages upon pages to find a Twisted Treeline guide, that it's near IMPOSSIBLE to find a JUNGLE TT guide...

^THIS is the problem.

If MobaFire's search/filter/category system was fixed, if people could allocate their guides into specific locations (correctly, without cheating), then immediately MobaFire would be more user friendly, easier to navigate, and MY GOD, I'll finally be able to find a jungle Twisted Treeline guide.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide