Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

[Poll] Should Guides Be Sectioned?

Creator: jhoijhoi February 14, 2012 7:30pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Twisted Treeline, Dominion, SR and Jungling
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:41pm | Report
Why, Psi? If I want a jungle Noc guide, I want a jungle Noc guide. I don't want to read a solo top Noc guide, or a support Noc guide. I want a jungle Noc guide and I want to be able to locate this jungle Noc guide immediately. That's what filters and sectioning is for.

I believe that MobaFire is possibly one of the worst sites to navigate. Clicking on the free to play champions is fine (once you find it amongst the clutter of the front page), but finding Builds & Guides, clicking on the following drop down tab, or clicking on it itself.

Then having to apply all these filters that makes things confusing.

Then finding out the guides are automatically sorted by Stale and Just Published and having to change it to Fresh and sort by score.

It's too damn confusing and useless.

When I want to find a jungle Noc guide, I should be able to press 2-3 buttons that leads me immediately to a jungle Noc guide.

War: lols, I guess you have a point. Would guides be set back to 50% when they are split into categories, or... ?
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:57pm | Report
There is a colossal difference between navigation and organization. The first primarily affects how readers find guides. The second affects how guides are grouped, scored and ranked.

There are some fantastic guides out there with multiple roles. Some champions are far more versatile than others and can fill multiple roles (Nocturne not being one of them).

I'm sure a Lee Sin guide covering both jungling and laning could be very detailed and successful.
Same with Udyr.
And Skarner.
And Trundle.
And Cho'Gath.
And Gangplank.
And Jax.
And Jarvan.
And Maokai.
And Fizz.
And Malphite.
And Shyvana.
And Shen.
And Singed.
And Tryndamere.
And Warwick.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that the majority of junglers make very capable laners as well. Since solo top and jungle are usually filled by bruisers, many champions can switch between these roles with ease.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that some authors will be willing and able to write detailed guides on multiple champion roles. There are already many in existence right now. This new organization would threaten to tear these guides apart, almost literally. Unless you can figure out a very clever way to include multiple roles/builds as a regular part of the scoring system, it sounds like a very bad idea to me.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
Mikuroo
<Member>
Mikuroo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:58pm | Report
Quoted:

This only goes if we have this system, but with the uncategorized one, it'd be pretty stupid to write 2 guides that are about the same champion, but one is for lane, one is for jungle (another for TT, dom).

TT and SR are so different it's not even funny.
plus, I find it kind of annoying when guide makers make two different builds and describe them both in the same guide, it makes me angry because I just want to read about one. Hate it when each section has 3 sub sections for letsay Ad tank/ Ad carry/ Ap
yolo, teemo to strong in low elo
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 4:59pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

And Skarner.
And Trundle.
And Cho'Gath.
And Gangplank.
And Jax.
And Jarvan.
And Maokai.
And Fizz.
And Malphite.
And Shyvana.
And Shen.
And Singed.
And Tryndamere.
And Warwick.

...And Sejuani.
And Volibear
And Rammus...
Mikuroo
<Member>
Mikuroo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:00pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

There is a colossal difference between navigation and organization. The first primarily affects how readers find guides. The second affects how guides are grouped, scored and ranked.

There are some fantastic guides out there with multiple roles. Some champions are far more versatile than others and can fill multiple roles (Nocturne not being one of them).

I'm sure a Lee Sin guide covering both jungling and laning could be very detailed and successful.
Same with Udyr.
And Skarner.
And Trundle.
And Cho'Gath.
And Gangplank.
And Jax.
And Jarvan.
And Maokai.
And Fizz.
And Malphite.
And Shyvana.
And Shen.
And Singed.
And Tryndamere.
And Warwick.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that the majority of junglers make very capable laners as well. Since solo top and jungle are usually filled by bruisers, many champions can switch between these roles with ease.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that some authors will be willing and able to write detailed guides on multiple champion roles. There are already many in existence right now. This new organization would threaten to tear these guides apart, almost literally. Unless you can figure out a very clever way to include multiple roles/builds as a regular part of the scoring system, it sounds like a very bad idea to me.

how bout allow the guide owner to pick one category that they feel their guide belongs in, and still allot it to have parts of other sections.
yolo, teemo to strong in low elo
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:01pm | Report
I didn't list all of the possibilities, just the ones that stood out the most.

And for the record, Rammus is a garbage laner and the other two are sub-par at best.
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:01pm | Report
Mikuroo wrote:

TT and SR are so different it's not even funny.
plus, I find it kind of annoying when guide makers make two different builds and describe them both in the same guide, it makes me angry because I just want to read about one. Hate it when each section has 3 sub sections for letsay Ad tank/ Ad carry/ Ap

The guide might be primarily a Laning (Jungling) Summoner's Rift guide, but if the champion is viable in Dominion or Twisted Treeline, it's nice to have a chapter about how and what. I don't know how can that be annoying, I find it quite helpful.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:03pm | Report
Mikuroo wrote:

how bout allow the guide owner to pick one category that they feel their guide belongs in, and still allot it to have parts of other sections.

That would mess up the scoring, as I said. That's not fair to the author. If I write the best possible lee sin guide with comprehensive jungling and laning sections, it should be the #1 guide. I shouldn't have to say it's a "Jungle" guide and lose half my viewership.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:03pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Duff: Would you want to take credit for a jungle Olaf guide as well, if you add in a small jungle section? Or will you stick to your solo top Olaf guide, keep it for laning and let someone who enjoys jungle Olaf, perhaps knows a little more than you about jungle Olaf, take credit for a jungle Olaf guide in a completely different section than yours?

Your guide will still get massive votes etc for being solo top Olaf.

This kind of sectioning just allows someone else to write a jungle Olaf guide and get it as recognised as yours.

If I have a section about jungling, and the champion is Olaf, yep, I'd be fine with that.

Eventually their guide will be very highly rated as well if it's well written, doesn't matter who's is higher.

In fact, we have a jungle Olaf guide higher rated than my solo top Olaf guide, and it doesn't bother me. It's a good enough guide.
NinjaGinge
<Editor>
NinjaGinge's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2012 5:22pm | Report
I'm with jhoi on this one, simply because the idea sounds efficient, and it allows for a larger number of "top" guides, helping mobafire become more diverse, and allowing it to hone in on the very best of different roles.

The most in depth guide to Twitch around.

Props to wRAthoFVuLK for the beastly sig and putting up with my request XD
Hey, you should help me on acquiring Medieval Twitch!! :D
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=507f1031d2ab3250817727
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide