Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

How do I become a pro with Morgana?

Creator: Hainzy41 September 4, 2014 1:43pm
Hainzy41
<Member>
Hainzy41's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 1:43pm | Report
So, I've put in about 2 weeks of practice with Morgana. Probably around 20 games or so. I started getting the hang of timing her abilities together and then playing the support role well. I hear that she can be great mid lane too. I've never really tried mid before. I'm a leve 16 FYI.

I guess the one thing that I notice when going up against another Morgana is that a lot of the time, the other team's Morgana is a game changer and really influences her respective lane. I would love to know this secret that apparently I am the only Morgana user that doesn't know it. I'm looking to elevate my skill with Morgana because running Supp is fun for me if I rack up assists.

Please let me know what items you guys rush or techniques you use. I know there are plenty of guides on this site for her, but hearing some actual feedback is great too! Thanks all.
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 1:50pm | Report
She's not hard :)

Pre-6: Hit Dark Binding on the enemy marksman/squishy support, place Tormented Shadow under the hit target. Put Black Shield on whoever you think they will focus.
At/After 6 in lane: Same story, but follow it up with Soul Shackles.

In teamfights you can do 2 things:

1) Defend your carries, use all your skills to protect them and interrupt any enemy/ies trying to kill your marksman. This is what you will be doing mostly as support.
2) If your mid lane is someone like Lux or Xerath, who will likely stay near your marksman, you can also try to get to their carries and kill them instead of defending yours.

Keep in mind that Zhonya's Hourglass is great on her, as well as Frostfang.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 1:53pm | Report
For items I go: Frostfang -> Sightstone -> Boots -> Zhonya's Hourglass OR Mikael's Blessing depending on if you want to go aggressive or defensive.

It would be easier to know where you should improve on if you had a clip or two of your gameplay but generally you need to make use of your abilities. You need experience on when to use Black Shield, land Dark Binding and when you can go aggressive with the ultimate.

Knowing the match-up you are up against is really important too. You must know what you must/can do and what you canno't do. It's mainly your positioning and landing the crucial skillshot that counts if you want to make a winning move.

You're onyl level 16 tho so you should just play the game and get to know things. Everything comes within time. Watching high level support player streams is quite helpful.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 1:56pm | Report
Best thing you can do to get better with Morg is keep playing. You don't have to worry about a main champion or a main role yet I don't think. Anyway, I have over 100 games with Morg, nearly half of those are ranked, and I'm plat III right now. My build goes:

Start: Spellthief's Edge + 3X Health Potion 1X Mana Potion and Stealth Ward, for starting items. Spellthief's edge brings you the $$$, ups your AP (and therefore your damage dealt) and it helps you manage your mana. Potions are for sustain. If you don't have 21 points (obviously less pots if you don't take 21 points in utility (you have less than 21 points to go around now but in the future)).

First Couple Backs: Frostfang, Sightstone, Boots, Chalice of Harmony/ Seeker's Armguard. Frostfang is the first thing you should get because it drastically ups the amount of gold you receive. Sightstone right after for ward control, boots for speed and then Chalice of Harmony if the enemy has a lot of crowd control (stuns, slows) or if you're behind OR you buy Armguard if you are ahead of the enemy and want to build damage.

Big Items: Mikael's Blessing/ Zhonya's Hourglass, Ruby Sightstone, Mobility Boots/ Sorcerer's Shoes, Frost Queen's Claim. Crucible if enemy has slows and stuns, as said, otherwise upgrade Seeker's Armguard into Zhonya's Hourglass, for Armor and AP. Buy this against heavy AD teams when you are ahead! Ruby Sightstone upgraded from Sightstone, get after your first two big items or after the first big item. Pick your boots based on preference. If you want to run really fast buy Boots of Mobility, if you want to deal more damage build Sorc's shoes. Lastly, upgrade Queen's Claim.

Last Item Options: Locket of the Iron Solari and Banshee's Veil are good options versus teams that do a lot of MAGIC damage. Randuin's Omen and Frozen Heart are good options versus teams that do a lot of PHYSICAL damage. Rabadon's Deathcap and Void Staff are good options if you are ahead and want to deal damage.

You skill your abilities like this:
1: Q 2: E 3: W
6, 11, 16: R
Q first (up to 9), E second (by 13), W last.

Morgana's strengths are her engagements and her poke. You poke in lane by hitting Q on the enemy AD carry, sometimes coupled with an auto attack or W. You engage by hitting Q or by walking into them while shielded and hitting Q, using exhaust or using your ult.

Morgana's weakness is that she is squishy and skillshot reliant.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2014 3:17pm | Report
The ideal itemization path you want to do with Morgana support includes Zhonya's Hourglass, Frost Queen's Claim, and Locket of the Iron Solari/ Mikael's Blessing.

The most important aspect of playing a support role is to not take free damage. For instance, while it is good to harass your opponents in lane, it may not necessarily be a good idea to do so if you will take some autoattacks, and spells in return, and your ADC is not in a position to help you out. If you can dodge 90% of the skillshots that your opponents throw at you, you'll probably be very successful in your games.

The second most important mechanic that you need to learn when playing Morgana, is how to land your Dark Binding. If you land a Dark Binding against your lane opponents during the early game and your ADC is in a position to follow up, your skillshot probably just won you that lane.

The next two most important things to learn, is knowing who to target with Black Shield, and when/where to Soul Shackles in a team fight. You usually want to Black Shield a high priority target on your team, who is about to get hit by some really dangerous CC (e.g. Counter Strike, Death Sentence, Rocket Grab, Solar Flare, Shield of Daybreak, Cease and Desist, etc etc) right before their CC lands. I can upload some lolreplay clips I have of me doing just that, if you would like to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Also, knowing how to use Soul Shackles correctly in a team fight is huge. If you can use Soul Shackles to separate half of your opponents team from their other half, then you probably just single handedly won your team that fight.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
turingexp
<Member>
turingexp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 8, 2014 7:22pm | Report
land a lot of Q's. it just takes practice, but you should always be watching which direction enemies are moving in and if it's in the direction of an open "lane" of fire, meaning no minions in the way. that's a good time for a Q. it should usually be on CD, except very early in the game. getting good at the zhonyas+ultimate combo is important, as is being aware of weak teammates and when to black shield them.
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
MyBloodisBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2014 12:18pm | Report
How do you become Pro with Morgana? PRACTICE - Tons and Loads and excess amount of Practice...

You practice until you know what her Q W E and R can do

Then you practice til you know exactly what items will bring out the best of her in absolutely any situation

Then you practice until you can hit as much of your attacks on your targets

Then you practice in order to be able to use your abilities at the right time to keep your mana healthy and when to use your abilities to their maximum effect

Then you practice until you know what your strength and weaknesses are and what items people can buy to add or hinder your progression

Then when thats all said and done, you know exactly how much damage you could do to any champion with certain armor and you are confident you are unstoppable with Morgana... YOU PRACTICE EVEN MORE!!!
"The Wolf eyes the Prey, The Cow eats the hay, One of them is a killer, The other his buffet"
Chawoora
<Member>
Chawoora's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 22, 2014 1:58pm | Report
Lots of good stuff so far. I am unranked level 30, but probably have the most games as Morgana support any anybody. You may know this, and most was already said, but...

Level 1: Learn to hit your Dark Binding. A decent enemy will know to stand behind minions and be able to dodge your binding. If you can hit 50% of your bindings, your ADC will rack up plenty of kills. Using your Tormented Soil can sometimes force the champion out from behind minions.

Level 2: Learn to use your Soul Shackles. I played many games without knowing how strong this was. I played like a scared girl and did not realize I had a massive cannon in my pocket. Position yourself in lane, ult, and watch the enemies try to run. Move to keep enemies in range. If they might get out of range, hit them with your Dark Binding (it is very easy to hit at this point). If you can stun them, wait to use your Dark Binding until the stun is up. Of course, throw your Tormented Soil under them. In lane, your ult is a killing machine (hopefully your ADC will finish them off). Late game you can flash, ult, and Zhona’s if they focus you.

Level 3: Learn to use your Black Shield. I am not there yet. A good Morgana player has fast reactions and knows when to use Black Shield. The magic damage protection is nice sometimes (like a Zillian bomb), but the CC protection is the selling point.

Tormented Soil is pretty easy. I level this last, so it does not do a lot of damage until late game. In lane I use this to 1) free harass on the enemy 2) to proc the gold from Spellthief and 3) to try and push the enemy out from behind minions. Don’t spam it or you will oom and try not to kill too many minions.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide