Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Newblet starting out - what direction do I...

Creator: Valkyrjan August 25, 2013 5:52pm
1 2
Valkyrjan
<Member>
Valkyrjan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2013 5:52pm | Report
So I finally got my friend onto LoL and am having trouble finding a champion she might prefer. I don't expect in-depth answer, just a few champions that might suit her a little better. She tried my Ashe and loved her, and then she tried Kayle. Basically, she hates "getting close" and I'm having trouble explaining to her the role of a support. I've always generally ran support, so I am afraid my skills are too rusty with other champions to assist her.

Pretty much looking for advice in what way to direct her. It's nice to have a friend that plays again, so I want her to have fun.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2013 10:39pm | Report
If she's really brand new, just get her to try every champion when they're free. What she likes in a champion will change as she gets used to the game, and playing every champion at least once is really necessary to understand what all the champions are really capable of anyway. She'll find champions she likes that none of us could have possibly guessed would be her style, she might find a type of champion she enjoys, and she's surely eventually end up not liking one of her old favorites.

In the short term, Caitlyn is somewhat similar to Ashe, but fairly expensive. Sivir is a cheap ADC, but not generally considered all that strong. If she hasn't tried a mage yet, get her to try Annie or Ryze, both of whom are cheap and fairly strong. Unfortunately, she's going to be missing out on a lot of interesting and fun champions if she doesn't like getting into melee, such as bruisers, basically all tanks, and nearly every assassin.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2013 11:07pm | Report
Point her straight to me...I'll teach her...a lot. >:D

Just get her to play a wide variety of champions as much as she can, free weeks are always your friend. I mean even after 3 years of LoL I still sometimes can't figure what champions I like best lol ;)

Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2013 11:13pm | Report
So basically she doesn't like melee champions.
Teemo.
*****es love Teemo

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2013 11:17pm | Report
She could try Sona? :P
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2013 11:34pm | Report
If she wants to kill people then Caitlyn, Teemo, Ezreal, Annie, Nidalee, Miss Fortune, LeBlanc, Tristana, Ziggs

If she's more into support then Soraka, Sona, Nami, Zyra, Lulu

I'd advise against Lux, Ahri, Orianna, Syndra, as these champs have high skill floors, and new players who play these champs are bound to miss their spells, effectively becoming useless in the game.
Valkyrjan
<Member>
Valkyrjan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2013 9:33am | Report
Thank you to everyone who responded! I really do appreciate it, as I felt as if I was stumbling in the dark with this.

Lifebaka: Yes, it basically has been the whole "I don't want to play melee." :P She tried Caitlyn on my account and loved her. I made her try every free player this week and she found something to complain about. xD She has no patience and it's quite frustrating.

Nighthawk, It feels mostly like a manner of patience. I know I blew up and became frustrated when I first started, so I do feel bad for her. I attempted to explain that each champion is different. She took a liking to Diana last night when I played her, so sometime today, I am having her try her out too!

Bryun, too many love Teemo. xD

jhoijhoi, I have having her re-try Sona today! :D Hopefully, she goes more comfortable with her a little.

Embracing, I was actually going to set her up with Lux here when she wakes up, but I might hold off now. I had never looked at it from that point before. Plus, she can't support. I tried the majority of our playing yesterday and I'm not sure if she can't understand the reason, or what. I am having her try Soraka and Nami both today, and then Sona again. On a more personal level, I find Zyra very difficult to support with. As much, I don't think I would be a good teacher for her on Support Zyra.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2013 9:44am | Report
Head into the category of mages. Especially the non-assassin faction. Characters like Zyra, Orianna and Xerath are pretty fun to play, teach you a lot of mechanics and are overall super helpful.

I wouldn't recommend shoving new players into support as it's much harder to translate from support to offensive/carry-like roles than the other way around. Additionally, most mages don't really require a ton of runes and/or masteries to enjoy properly. Right off the bat, mages teach you a ton and above all else: avoid direct confrontation. Just like me, be that passive-aggressive *****! :P
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 8:47am | Report
You should create a smurf to play with her on, if you play with her on your level 30 account then the opponents you play against will usually be around level 20, and she'll almost always be outmatched whoever she tries to play against.
ShiftyCake
<Member>
ShiftyCake's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 28, 2013 4:08am | Report

You should create a smurf to play with her on, if you play with her on your level 30 account then the opponents you play against will usually be around level 20, and she'll almost always be outmatched whoever she tries to play against.

I was going to suggest that earlier, but he's having her try different champions; something not available on new accounts (he's probably letting her play on his. Also, versing level 20's isn't much of a problem as it doesn't take long to grasp the basics of the game.
I verse level 30's with worse skills then a level 9 player I've played with. Trust me, that's not much of a problem.
thanks Hogopogo for the banner :D
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide