Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MFTV & Twitch: Official Statement

Creator: FlashJ June 12, 2013 4:29pm
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:39am | Report
If the stream didn't auto-mute, I doubt anyone would be accusing Mobafire of botting viewers in the first place...
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:42am | Report
Anon pls, your replies tickle.

Edit: Astrolia, I agree. Also, the stream should take up more space, so there's no more of this "hidden" nonsense. We all know it's a small box because that's MobaFire's layout. But the general public seem to think MobaFire was "hiding" the stream =.=
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
IShouldGetALife's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:44am | Report
What is wrong with auto mute? I bet that if the stream had volume and people had to mute it manually they would complain about it.
If I have helped in anyway at all a +rep will be appreciated lots
Thanks to LaCorpse, Hogopogo and JhoiJhoi for the amazing sigs
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:44am | Report
astrolia wrote:

If the stream didn't auto-mute, I doubt anyone would be accusing Mobafire of botting viewers in the first place...

would you rather it be unmuted and be like those ****ing annoying advertisements that randomly start playing? I doubt it. It's not exactly hard to find, you barely have to scroll down the page.

besides how long are you actually on the front page?
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:46am | Report
^ this is what I was trying to say
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:49am | Report
I'm not saying the audio should be on, I'm saying if the audio was on, people wouldn't be able to easily throw around accusations of botting.

People are going to equate it to cheating for viewers etc because viewers weren't consciously aware the stream was there due to it being auto-muted. The whole auto-muting thing is honestly probably what makes it shady to people.

If the audio was on, yes it would probably annoy absolutely positively everyone and their mom, but they wouldn't be able to say "you're botting" if they knew the stream was there and playing to begin with.
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:52am | Report
so which is the lesser of two evils? Honestly you can't win either way
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:53am | Report
It is kinda hard to miss the stream though it was in plain sight so really I have no idea how people could miss it unless all they were doing was clicking on one of the free champions to for a guide because if you wanted to scroll down even the slightest bit you would see it, so the claims of it not being able to be seen are pretty weak.
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:54am | Report
Can you see the stream clearly upon visiting the front page? If not, it's not in clear view.

If you don't see moving animations, you are clearly half-blind.

Why would you mute and hide something you're trying to promote? If this was all just a matter of promotion, why wasn't the MOBATV stream right up top, and why was it muted? For ****'s sake it's so brand new it should be at the top of the page, with a big sign saying "HEY LOOK AT THIS NEW THING WE GOT", but instead it's silently stuck halfway down. That's very odd for a strategy of trying to promote as much as possible.

Who is hiding, maybe Mobafire thought that was the right placement for the stream without having to redo the whole layout of the site. They are trying to promote, not annoy the people who visit Mobafire with a overly-sized stream. It's size was just enough for people to notice the stream. If you actually used Mobafire you'd know they announce and implement, they don't make it a huuuuuuuuuuuuge deal, just enough to where the people know about it, and if they are interested they'll watch it.

It's also a necessity for any major site/corporation to maintain good public relations with the community they hope to serve.

Why do you think they stopped the stream and people being fed false information by other streamers is justice?

Do I think they put it up randomly? No. Do I think they used the embed code that twitch offers on all of it's streams onto a page to collect all currently live streams? Yes. Do I think they asked permission? No, because that's something twitch offers to EVERYONE to do just that.

However, when the Solomid Invitational was running enlarged on the front page on auto-play do I think they asked permission? Absolutely.

I'm not saying in any way that what MOBAfire has done here is against the rules of Twitch.tv, clearly it isn't, and they did get permission ahead of time. But it is still very underhanded to force people to add to their view count without giving them any choice or notice that they are watching a live stream. I do think that the entire reason the stream is set to auto-play and auto-mute is to inflate the viewer count and keep MOBATV in the top stream list in an attempt to drive more traffic to MOBAfire, and I do believe that the League of Legends community has made it clear that is not an acceptable business practice.

"We kept open communication with Twitch about our plans and implementation before and after starting MFTV."

-obviously they talked it over with them before they embedded.
-sorry Mobafire has a lot of traffic for this to be a huge deal.
-wasn't their intention, and the community obviously bandwagoned on what SivHD stated and turned a blind eye to anything else said and flamed to earth's end.

DemonRyou
<Member>
DemonRyou's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 1:14am | Report
But see, people have also complained that "MOBAFire is not a streaming website, it's a website for guides, we don't want to be interrupted by streams" so by not muting it, you are interrupting them and they would complain anyway.

They complained about MOBAFire botting/faking views. We disproved that. Then they turned to complain about the auto-play and auto-mute. They're just blindly following the accusations that was started by Siv and keep turning to complain about one thing if not the other.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide