Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Patch 8.21 Summary

Creator: PsiGuard October 23, 2018 5:35pm
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2018 5:35pm | Report

Hello and welcome to the MOBAFire Patch Summary - 8.21!

This patch includes the highly anticipated Tales from the Rift and K/DA skins along with three sets of chromas. Balance changes for this patch mostly involve buffs and bugfixes to help out some underplayed champions along with a few nerfs to some of the more dominant picks.

Check out the full patch notes for details on any changes that interest you, and be sure to check out Riot's video summary below!

Balance Changes

Item Changes

Cost: 3100 gold (725 gold combine cost) ⇒ 3000 gold (625 gold combine cost)
Veil Channel Time: 1.5 seconds ⇒ 1 second

Cost: 3200 gold (450 gold combine cost) ⇒ 3000 gold (250 gold combine cost)

Other Changes

• Gragas Audio Clarity Updates
    • Audio now changes based on whether Gragas hits stone, wood, metal, or people.

• Barrel Roll: New audio on barrel roll and when max charge state is reached.

• Drunken Rage: Activation audio is clearer.

• Body Slam: Collision audio updated.

• Explosive Cask: On-cast audio clarity improved.

• Camouflage

• On My Way Ping Audio
    • OMW ping audio processing now indicates the distance between the ping and the player who pinged. The further away the player is from their ping, the more muffled and slightly delayed the audio will be.

• OMW ping volume indicates now the distance between the ping and you, the listener.

• HUD Font Size
    • HUD Font Size increased.

• Bugfixes
    • Fixed a bug where, while changing your secondary runes one after another, you could end up changing the same selection twice rather than changing both rune selections.

• Ziggs' Mega Inferno Bomb tooltip now indicates the amount of damage done in the outer ring.

• Boots of Swiftness now properly reduce the self-slow on Pyke's Bone Skewer.

• Zyra's plants no longer attempt to target stuff without health bars (ex. Jarvan IV's flag, Thresh's lantern).

• The Surrender countdown bar has been visually restored. Not that you noticed this bug anyway because you'd never surrender, right?

Upcoming Skins & Chromas

The following Tales from the Rift skins will be released this patch.

Bewitching Janna (1350 RP)

Count Kledula (1350 RP)

Trick or Treat Ekko (1350 RP)

The K/DA skins will be released later this patch at the Worlds Season 2018 Event afterparty.

K/DA Ahri (1350 RP)

K/DA Akali (1350 RP)

K/DA Kai'Sa (1350 RP)

K/DA Evelynn (1350 RP)

Unlock K/DA Kai'Sa Prestige Edition for 2500 Worlds Tokens later this patch at the Worlds Season 2018 Event afterparty (tokens expire on December 3rd at 11:59 PM). This is a completely separate skin from K/DA Kai'Sa—you can unlock Prestige Edition without owning the regular skin.

K/DA Kai'Sa Prestige Edition (2500 Worlds Tokens)

The following chromas will be released during patch 8.21:

Bewitching Janna

Count Kledula

Trick or Treat Ekko

Share Your Thoughts!

That's it on our end, time to hear from you guys! What do you think of the balance changes this patch? Are you planning on testing out some of the champions that were buffed this patch? Will you be buying any of the new skins or chromas?

Let us know in the comments below!
Thanks to Minho for the sig!
Hamstertamer
<Veteran>
Hamstertamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 24, 2018 4:02am | Report
5 movement speed. 5. Best meme of the year.

Pyke nerfs reverted for no reason. How is that even controversial that he has too much sustain in lane?

And Kai'Sa nerfed wrong, since AD/on-hit Kaisa was the problem not AP Kaisa. So still god tier. They used to have a good nerf that removed her %HP damage completely (why does someone with an assassin kit who naturally buys BOTRK have passive tank shredding anyways?), but reverted for no reason.

So let me get this straight. Of all the champions you had to permaban, you still have to permaban all of them. With Zoe now on the list again.

Oh well. Karma got finally buffed to make up for destroying her shield so at least that's good.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 24, 2018 7:47am | Report
Shouldn't Draven be under bug fixes? Or is the thought that the changes are sufficient to be a buff?

I'm good with the hits to Aurelion Sol. I don't see them often, but when I do I can pretty much write my Bot lane off as a lost cause unless I just hang in between Mid and Bot the entire game and ward the **** out of every angle I can think of including from their jungle. And if they have a jungler that likes to play forward like Kha'Zix or Kayn I can be sure that I'm going to be getting run out of my jungle.

Zoe buffs. Ugh. My games have been more pleasant since she vanished from the META.

Irelia - doubt it is enough, but it does also make it harder for her to setup Flawless Duet. Her kit is simply too overloaded. Dmg check. Mobility check. CC check. Shield breaking check. Damage reduction check. AoE team fight ult check. And the whole marked mechanic is hard to comprehend and play around. Might be fun to play but feels bad to play against. I'd like for them to do a pass on the hit box for Flawless Duet as I feel like it is too generous and does not reflect the visual indicators well ( Ornn's Searing Charge has a similar problem).

Zac - seems like a decent buff that won't but him back in the busted category.

Kai'Sa - I'm all for lowering her ability to just shred through everything. Shield duration reduction will help separate the good and bad Kai'sa's. You know the ones that dive into their back line every time their ult is up regardless of whether that is a good idea or not. Guessing it almost certainly kills of jungle Kai'sa. All that said, I generally find a semi-competent Lucian more annoying to deal with playing in Gold.

Karma - don't like it when CC duration gets that long. I was playing vs a Morgana the other day as Rakan. Got my ult off on her entire team. At some point she hit me with a bind and I just stood their watching my health bar go down and down and down, even though I wasn't actually being directly focused, but there was nothing I could really do about it. Now Karma's root will be in the same ball park duration wise.

Essence Reaver - Well, might have to ban Jax and/or Master Yi now. This item is close to busted on some champions already.

Feel like they missed out by not looking at Kha'Zix. The bug is bad news with his current numbers. Fun to play! Not fun to play against. Why give him a utility boost? That was the weird thing to me.

Think the camouflage change is going to be big for the people that knew how to abuse it.

Pings - seems like a nice QoL change, but honestly my biggest problem with pings right now is that it seems really hard to hit the correct one. I have to try like three times sometimes to activate the one I'm looking for and I've seen others complain about this as well.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 24, 2018 1:39pm | Report
VexRoth wrote:
Shouldn't Draven be under bug fixes? Or is the thought that the changes are sufficient to be a buff?

It's debatable. Technically they're bugfixes but with a positive outcome since the bugs were costing him damage. Riot put the changes in their balance section so I thought I might as well do the same. You wouldn't be wrong in saying they're just bugfixes though.
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide