Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Daughter Water [Gender Pay Inequality]

Creator: jhoijhoi October 1, 2014 10:43pm
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:25am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:
Searz: Unfortunately quotes didn't look right when I copied the text, so I removed quotes - I do think some meaning is lost, but the general gist of everything is there. It'll depend on whether MobaFire is blocked for the students, but it's possible they'll just be able to read the thread themselves at home (they can do some homework and then read some LoL guides :P).

You may only use my comments if you include the text I'm quoting in them.
Large parts of my comments make little sense and/or will be very hard to understand without them.
jhoijhoi wrote:
Searz: Something I didn't get a chance to mention before is the difference between equality and equity. Some people seem to think that I'm all for "equality". I'm not. I'm for equity.

Did you ever make that clear in the thread? I don't think you did, because I don't remember seeing any of that.

I'm not for equity, I'm for equality. The distinction is important.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:28am | Report
Honestly, if there's a problem with the quoting you might as well just display the webpage itself.
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:32am | Report
Searz: I respect your conditions. Your posts will be edited to be dot points of what you've said, unless you'd rather I take them out completely. Edit: Oh yeah, the students will have access to this link so they can read further, if they're interested. I stopped compiling posts after my announcement that I was compiling posts ^^

As for equity vs equality - no, I never got a chance to mention it. I think that equity is necessary first in order to achieve equality ultimately.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:33am | Report
You would have to edit my post abit since alot of them are grammatically wrong and I once said ineffcient instead of efficient
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:35am | Report
Feel free to use my two incredibly useful (/sarcasm) comments.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:36am | Report
Ichi: lol, I'm not editing the posts to be grammatically correct or to make sense. It's supposed to represent real-life views and representations of people's opinions/beliefs. You don't need perfect grammar/spelling to voice your ideas.

Amanda: Actually, both your comments were quite useful. If none of my students mention it, I'll be sure to bring up the fact that only three women posted in this thread. One talked about how anyone who talked about gender related issues are called feminists and that women can be stronger than men - your replies are more interesting than you think :)

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:38am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:
Searz: I respect your conditions. Your posts will be edited to be dot points of what you've said, unless you'd rather I take them out completely.

Thank you.

What do you mean by dot points? I want my posts to be shown in their entirety, nothing should be left out. Use color-coding and quotes -
"Like this."
- if you can't display the site itself.
Quoted:
As for equity vs equality - no, I never got a chance to mention it. I think that equity is necessary first in order to achieve equality ultimately.

Well, I disagree.

And the burden of proof lies with you seeing as you're the one claiming that there's a connection between the two.
I'm a strong independent black mage who don't need no mana.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:42am | Report
Searz: In the sense that, for a VERY inane example, giving a 3rd world child the same Christmas presents as a 1st world child. That would be equality. Equity would be giving the 3rd world child, I don't know, access to electricity and clean water, stuff that builds up what that child needs in order to have equal chances as the 1st world child. I don't think that a connection negates the need for one to be scaffolded on another.

I don't want to remove your contributions from the list, but going back and requoting everything would suck and I'm not up to it at the moment. I'll see what I feel like tomorrow lol.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:45am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:
I don't want to remove your contributions from the list, but going back and requoting everything would suck and I'm not up to it at the moment. I'll see what I feel like tomorrow lol.
But you agreed not to print anything without everyone's permission?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2014 8:53am | Report
^That's what I meant. I'd just have to remove his comments or render everyone's comments to dot-points. It does remove some of the onus on the students as they wouldn't have to read so much back and forth repetitive arguments. I'll weigh the pros and cons and decide tomorrow, it's 2am ^^

However, if you'd all like, if I do go down the path of dot-point summarising, I could post the end document. Then people can check through to see they've been accurately represented. Depending on the feedback that will hopefully come while I'm sleeping, I may even just remove names (except my own) and replace them with Anon#1 or whatever.

It's not like any of these students will know any of you, or attempt to contact you, or even care who you are, but just in case (despite the fact that you all posted to a public forum accessible by anyone) I thought it'd be best to see if anyone didn't want their comments shared with my class in particular.

I'll have a think of how best to proceed in general, but I think the content from this thread is too good not to discuss.

Edited to add: If anyone has any suggestions on additional activities to add to my proposed lesson a page or so back, feel free to add your ideas. Goodnight! ^^

♡ sig by Jovy ♡

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide