Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Norway to digitize ALL books

Creator: Searz December 18, 2013 12:13pm
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 7:50am | Report
This isn't reddit. Can we NOT make off-topic threads about stuff when it hits the frontpage?
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 7:53am | Report
Stupid youngsters and their new fancy technology! Back in my day, we used to buy books from the local store. They were all 80 euros per piece. I used to have a whole closet full of those things, just for following one study.

Now those were the good ol' times
Change is gooooood
Picture by: MrMad2000

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 8:48am | Report

This isn't reddit. Can we NOT make off-topic threads about stuff when it hits the frontpage?

I don't use Reddit.
Meiyjhe wrote:

Stupid youngsters and their new fancy technology! Back in my day, we used to buy books from the local store. They were all 80 euros per piece. I used to have a whole closet full of those things, just for following one study.

Now those were the good ol' times

Yeah, **** all those good for nothing youngsters.

I'm personally really annoyed by the fact that many digital books cost almost the same as the physical books.
A physical book probably costs at least a few euros for the manufacturing and all the shipping and stuff(3-5 total?). Then they sell it for 10-20€.
A digital book costs less than a ****ing cent to manufacture and ship. They sell it for ~10€.
Lower the prices and more people would buy them. The way it is now is just annoying.
"I'm ebolakin. You can refer to me as Ebola-Chan." - Vurtax

"I also am Otherkin. Whenever autumn rolls around I can feel my kin-type slowly taking over my body. You must know, I identify as pumpkin. I can control it pretty good most of the time, but when September ends, I just cant hold it in anymore. Whenever Im outside I see my brothers and sisters being chopped into soup, coffee, donuts, cake, drinks, bread - ppl even cut human faces into their skin, making a mockery out of their noble appearance. When I see things like that I cant control my pumpkin urges anymore. My natural instincts kick in. I then sit down motionless, while getting bright orange." - Morgana L
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 12:39pm | Report
at least with video games its usually part of their deal with physical distributors iirc about why the price is usually about the same as a physical copy.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
DKitten
<Member>
DKitten's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 12:53pm | Report
My only issue is that if you lose your reader, you lose ALL of your books. I'm perfectly happy with swapping all the books on my bookshelf for one reader, but it's a much bigger loss if I somehow get careless with it, than if I was careless with a paperback.
Build Guides:

Humor Guides:

Welcome to the wonderful world of supports. How can I help you today?
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 1:17pm | Report
Searz wrote:

This is one big step towards books being primarily read in digital form.
SOOO many resources will be saved by using digital instead of physical books.

I have an issue with this perspective:
People that rely on digital data usually take big care regarding the storage. My point is, even though digital storage is quite widespread and usable, it may not be as reliable. It is usual for me to talk to someone about this and having a response of maintaining 5 backups in different physical devices, one of them being a source, then a number of USB defices and cloud services. A end user cannot control the faliure of these devices, even some may require a bit of frequent use. Saving resources is a debatable feature.
Personally, I like to have a physical copy. It doesn't force me to turn on a specific device that has its own dependancies (namely energy). I can also say I prefer having a physical example since a filename of various I might deal with will not say as much as a distinctive cover, especially when in search of a very specific feature within the document.
Not to mention you will have physical evidence of ownership that you can consult with the reach of an arm.

Having a database of all books is commendable but I would hardly use it.

Sig made by Tamy
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 1:25pm | Report
the only thing i don't like about the slow move to digital platforms over physical is that companies try and squeeze out consumer rights. you aren't purchasing a game/movie/music etc you're purchasing a license with the right to play/watch/listen to said whatever and we can revoke that license with no refund.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 1:55pm | Report
Searz wrote:

^Of course, it's in human nature to be scared of change and cling to old ways.
It doesn't matter if the change is for the better to many people, because they're used to the old way and "like it more".
I guess nostalgia might be a factor.

that wasnt really the point of my post, me i would much rather have a digital copy of an album but if i had the ability to get a signed physical copy of a CD i would rather have that, its not about clinging to old ways more about having something signed, but im sure there are still people that want physical things because digital stuff is new and scary
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2013 10:58pm | Report
Looking forward to a future where texts can be accessed legally online free. However, I imagine ads will be the cost of free texts.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2013 3:03am | Report
Pheyniex wrote:

People that rely on digital data usually take big care regarding the storage. My point is, even though digital storage is quite widespread and usable, it may not be as reliable. It is usual for me to talk to someone about this and having a response of maintaining 5 backups in different physical devices, one of them being a source, then a number of USB defices and cloud services. A end user cannot control the faliure of these devices, even some may require a bit of frequent use.

You have a point for general usage, but not for E-Books. E-Books are so incredibly easy to back up and keep safe that this is simply not an issue. The amount of space taken by an E-Book is usually around 1MegaByte(most of which is taken up by the cover art, lol). Backing that stuff up manually takes about as long as it takes for you to press ctrl+c -> ctrl+v. And then there's services like Google Play Books that allow you to upload all your E-Books and then download/read them through your browser or app wherever and whenever.
Quoted:
I can also say I prefer having a physical example since a filename of various I might deal with will not say as much as a distinctive cover, especially when in search of a very specific feature within the document.

Then you're not doing it correctly(or just talkin' out your arse), because it's the cover that is shown most prominently in most readers.
Quoted:
Saving resources is a debatable feature.

No, saving resources is a definite fact.
The electricity required to power a device used to read a book is REALLY low. Especially if it's a mobile device like a tablet. Reading text is not a taxing activity.
Vacuuming for 10min requires more power than reading a digital book on your tablet for 100hours.
Quoted:
Having a database of all books is commendable but I would hardly use it.

Don't worry, there are tons of others that will.
caucheka wrote:

the only thing i don't like about the slow move to digital platforms over physical is that companies try and squeeze out consumer rights. you aren't purchasing a game/movie/music etc you're purchasing a license with the right to play/watch/listen to said whatever and we can revoke that license with no refund.

Agreed. That is a problem.
Most E-books are DRM free though, so that's not as big of a problem for books as it is for games.
DillButt64 wrote:

that wasnt really the point of my post, me i would much rather have a digital copy of an album but if i had the ability to get a signed physical copy of a CD i would rather have that, its not about clinging to old ways more about having something signed, but im sure there are still people that want physical things because digital stuff is new and scary

Oh, I see.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide