Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Post Whatever You Want (and Stop Posting ****...

Creator: Mowen October 22, 2013 7:50am
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2015 6:04pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:
Spoiler: Click to view
I said specifically I think they are ONLY necessary when the content is unexpected, not in any other situation. If you're watching a DiY video and trying to learn how to make a jacket (and you have an issue with gore/blood), odds are you're not expecting the person to randomly decide to pretend to cut themselves and get (fake) blood everywhere as a joke ON CAMERA. If you think they should expect that and don't have a right to ask for a trigger warning in that situation...I honestly don't know what to say, because that is the exact situation where it is entirely appropriate.

I never said, nor implied, we needed trigger warnings in situations where you can easily discern that a triggering topic is being discussed. That's dumb and, as far as I'm concerned, not a reasonable time to use a trigger warning.

Regardless, this all has nothing to do with free speech. No one's impinging on your right to say whatever you want. Freedom of speech does not mean "freedom from the consequences of the things you say", however. I'm not saying "don't talk about possibly triggering things because they could be a trigger for someone", I'm saying "hey, maybe you could not be a **** and warn people if you're gonna put possibly triggering content where it's ENTIRELY UNEXPECTED and therefore cannot be avoided (as many people, including you, state they should do) without a warning".
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2015 6:12pm | Report
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2015 7:21pm | Report
I said specifically I think they are ONLY necessary when the content is unexpected, not in any other situation. If you're watching a DiY video and trying to learn how to make a jacket (and you have an issue with gore/blood), odds are you're not expecting the person to randomly decide to pretend to cut themselves and get (fake) blood everywhere as a joke ON CAMERA. If you think they should expect that and don't have a right to ask for a trigger warning in that situation...I honestly don't know what to say, because that is the exact situation where it is entirely appropriate.

I never said, nor implied, we needed trigger warnings in situations where you can easily discern that a triggering topic is being discussed. That's dumb and, as far as I'm concerned, not a reasonable time to use a trigger warning.

Regardless, this all has nothing to do with free speech. No one's impinging on your right to say whatever you want. Freedom of speech does not mean "freedom from the consequences of the things you say", however. I'm not saying "don't talk about possibly triggering things because they could be a trigger for someone", I'm saying "hey, maybe you could not be a **** and warn people if you're gonna put possibly triggering content where it's ENTIRELY UNEXPECTED and therefore cannot be avoided (as many people, including you, state they should do) without a warning".

Objection.

The question being: What is a trigger warning? In fact, according to the SJW fandom (lets face it, they're in line with furries in this case), a trigger can be anything the sensitive folk wants it to be. Comedy shows house the unexpected if you've ever watched snl or anything humorous in life. Is that to say that every single video needs a "warning: There is a scene of a man setting a building on fire with his piss which results in a teenage girl slashing her wrists with a cucumber" on it? I think its stupid. Honestly, I wonder if those SJW folk that need trigger warnings stay locked up in their house, because those wort of scenarios you described are in all forms of media nowadays in several different contexts.

At this point, you might as well seal yourself away in a cave. Its similar in nature to forcing people to put spoilers to a novel on the front cover because "abloobloo ur triggering me". Its stupid. They, like I said, need help if they're going to be having a traumatic flash back from these triggers.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2015 7:49pm | Report
The main place I see trigger warnings is tumblr where it takes like two seconds to insert a read more and a tw, topics change drastically, and people will actually monologue about killing themselves. (Im being dead serious here). Tws have their uses, is what I'm saying.

And nobodies going to complain about tws on YouTube because that has something called a search function.

Basically MOBAFire.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2015 6:26am | Report
if someone wants to make a video totally unrelated to [for example rape] and suddenly start making jokes/comments about said sensitive topic I don't see any reason someone can't ask them to put trigger warnings if they're gonna do that again. Plenty of people have legitimate issues with things. If someone is triggered by blood and a youtuber they watch randomly decides to pretend to cut themselves in an unrelated video and get blood everywhere as a joke (a channel on youtube that I'm subscribed to actually had this happen after they pretended to cut themselves in a DIY video), they have every right to ask for a trigger warning because it was completely unexpected and could cause them to panic. Or how about the large amount of videos discussing eating disorders? Many people who have eating disorders are triggered by weight numbers, it's reasonable to ask for a warning if weight numbers are going to be discussed. Yes, we're taking it too far, but there are cases where requests for trigger warnings are entirely legitimate.

It's funny how you start with a somewhat reasonable proposition and then gradually reduce the gravity to something as utterly silly as weight numbers. ****ING WEIGHT NUMBERS.
I'm sorry, but if you're triggered by weight numbers you need therapy, so get the **** off the internet and do something about your problem. You have zero ****ing right to push your problem on others.

The same goes for blood and rape too honestly, since age guidelines should help people avoid such content if they want. If you have a problem with something then deal with it, don't force others to adjust to your needs.

I personally feel uncomfortable when people lose limbs or parts of their body in general. It's something about the permanent debilitating effect it has on the person that triggers some kind of anxiety in me, but I don't go around complaining about the lack of trigger warnings because of that.
Family Guy for example has plenty of scenes of limbs being cut off, but I still watch it because I love the humor in the show. It might actually have helped me deal with it better.
Toshabi wrote:
Personally, I think giving "trigger warnings" is absolute ********. I understand some people have been through some traumatic thing. I have been through a few traumatic experiences in my life. But does that give me the right to go into an environment where free speech and free discussion is had (i.e.: A forum, youtube, ect) and force them to put up these warnings? Sure, general sexual conduct and gore ratings should be added on videos (which they are), but that's taken care of with age restriction for the most part.

At this point, you might as well seal yourself away in a cave. Its similar in nature to forcing people to put spoilers to a novel on the front cover because "abloobloo ur triggering me". Its stupid. They, like I said, need help if they're going to be having a traumatic flash back from these triggers.

Well written. Cannot agree more.
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2015 6:46am | Report
It's a sensitive topic that does need to be covered but I don't think it's easy to emphasise with and agree that trigger warnings could be helpful in some way unless you suffer from these triggers. I don't agree with it but to be fair it shouldn't bother people if there is a small bit of red text saying "Warning: Content may be Graphic/Sexual/Crude/Offensive" etc.

I just let it be since I don't think that I'll change the entire world of Trigger Warnings and make it so they don't appear by writing a half-hearted post. :P I don't agree with it nor am I against it. I'm neutral because it doesn't effect me. Be entitled to your opinions but I think at least try and see from the other perspective.
I am currently known as Sejwoonapiggle on EUW.
Add me for any queries or questions you have for me!
Check out my stream! I could use the support.
Click here to view my stream!
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2015 6:53am | Report
There are different levels of trauma and anxiety.
Rape and suicide create massive levels of trauma and anxiety, while weight numbers and taklking today people in general create small amounts of anxiety, and to be honest we ONLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE FIRST TWO.
Toshabis problem is that he continues to over exaggerate the whole anxiety thing to ridiculous proportions.

I don't actually know what I expected.

Basically MOBAFire.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2015 8:21am | Report
Searz wrote:
It's funny how you start with a somewhat reasonable proposition and then gradually reduce the gravity to something as utterly silly as weight numbers. ****ING WEIGHT NUMBERS.
I'm sorry, but if you're triggered by weight numbers you need therapy, so get the **** off the internet and do something about your problem. You have zero ****ing right to push your problem on others.
Legit question: have you ever had an eating disorder? Do you have ANY idea what it's like? The warped feelings you have about yourself, the secrecy, the shame, the way you feel disgusting when you eat even a little bit...Do you? Don't you dare sit here and talk about how silly something is when you have NO idea what it's like. You wanna downplay your own fears/problems, go right ahead, but don't sit here and act like you have any ****ing clue how difficult it actually is to deal with that even when you're in therapy and trying to get better. Because it can seriously set you back and, last I checked, having the decency to warn people about the content of things if it's sensitive won't kill anyone and it sure as hell doesn't have ANYTHING to do with freedom of speech/expression. Freedom of speech/expression is purely the freedom to say/express yourself in whatever way you please (barring certain things ofc), that doesn't free you from the consequences of what you say/do. And, seriously, why can't we just call it a disclaimer, "trigger warning" as a phrase sounds dumb.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2015 9:29am | Report
All these disorders were introduced in the 21st century. I wanna say society is just making up excuses for people to be crazy nowadays.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2015 9:47am | Report
You know Anorexia Nervosa has been treated (albeit badly) since the late 19th century, right?

The first formal diagnosis was in 1680. Last I checked that wasn't the 21st century.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide