Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Mage Zilean Theorycraft

Creator: Trojan995 July 27, 2011 12:03pm
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 2:08pm | Report
Soooo, gogo ROA start? :3
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 2:09pm | Report
Zilean may taper off late-game, but the utility he brings is invaluable to teams, and he fits perfectly into the dual AP carry metagame. Stick another AP carry top and you've got yourself a team with lots of AP damage and lots of Zilean utility.

As for the build, I'd probably do this:

- Doran's Ring, Boots if it's a skill shot champ ( Brand is currently who I'm thinking of)
- Sorcerer's Shoes if I'm doing well, catalyst the protector if I'm not
- whatever I didn't build above
- Rabadon's Deathcap
- Rod of Ages if I'm doing well, Banshee's Veil if I'm not

As for a tear build...

Doran's Ring
catalyst the protector
Sorcerer's Shoes
Tear of the Goddess
Rod of Ages
Rabadon's Deathcap
Archangel's Staff if I'm doing well, Banshee's Veil if I'm not
whatever I didn't build above

Then from there I'd build situationally.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 5:33pm | Report
What I'm thinking is that Zilean's strongest point in terms of damage is early game, as soon as he hits level 3 and his bomb harass starts seriously hurting.

Catalyst helps you sustain until you can start taking blue. Then you build AP to further capitalize on that early game.

His late game is strong too, obviously. The perma slow is invaluable, as is the potential to ulti up to three times in long fights. He doesn't really need AP for that though. He needs AP for early game harass which is why I'd shy away from it - there's little that it brings to the table that blue buff doesn't. The exception to this is when you have another AP carry who needs blue more than you, and that's just bad team comp because Zil NEEDS blue - both the mana and the CDR.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 5:37pm | Report

What I'm thinking is that Zilean's strongest point in terms of damage is early game, as soon as he hits level 3 and his bomb harass starts seriously hurting.

Catalyst helps you sustain until you can start taking blue. Then you build AP to further capitalize on that early game.

His late game is strong too, obviously. The perma slow is invaluable, as is the potential to ulti up to three times in long fights. He doesn't really need AP for that though. He needs AP for early game harass which is why I'd shy away from it - there's little that it brings to the table that blue buff doesn't. The exception to this is when you have another AP carry who needs blue more than you, and that's just bad team comp because Zil NEEDS blue - both the mana and the CDR.

The problem is you can't have blue ALL the time.

In that case I'd build RoA as a core item.
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 5:42pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Rushing Deathcap is a meh strategy after the nerf. It now provides no more AP for your money than buying Needlessly Large Rods.
It's probably a better idea to build some other AP item first.

I start amp tome, use ap/lvl blues, mana/5 seals, magic pen reds/quints and Zil has about 110~ AP at level 9 with amp tome + NLR.

His double bomb attacks will do 800+ damage with that.
Tri lane for life.
Freddy Shopan
<Member>
Freddy Shopan's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 6:00pm | Report
Also, because his late game isn't as good, would he be better in a double mage kinda line-up?
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 7:15pm | Report
I don't think you have enough CDR in your build. I would skip on RoA and go for an evil tome if you want AP and CDR, then throw in a glacial shroud somewhere or a kindlegem and you're good.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 9:59pm | Report
theBMB wrote:

I don't think you have enough CDR in your build. I would skip on RoA and go for an evil tome if you want AP and CDR, then throw in a glacial shroud somewhere or a kindlegem and you're good.

With runes, masteries, and blue buff, you should be near 40% CDR. If not, a blue pot can make up the difference.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 10:01pm | Report
Are you saying you didn't make Mage-Zilean right from the start?
He's got decent ratios and, building AP is just making him a bit more of a support. having only 3 "real" spell, and only one of them being useful when a champion dies, building almost straight AP is really his only option.
True love is found only in yourself.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 11:22pm | Report
What about abyssal scepter?

o.O

Good choice imo

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide