Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Mage Zilean Theorycraft

Creator: Trojan995 July 27, 2011 12:03pm
1 2 3
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 12:03pm | Report
Recently I've really been into mage zilean. At first I thought zilean had no place in the current metagame because of his uselessness as a support bottom lane, but that was before I tried him mid lane. Wow! So much damage with bombs! Here's a few things I noticed about him:

- it's very difficult to avoid his harass. Time Warp > Time Bomb > Rewind > Time Bomb makes it so you can easily get off a double bomb combo, because you're too fast to run from.

- at level 6, Chronoshift makes it very hard to kill you in a burst situation. See Annie gearing up for a flash - tibbers? Chronoshift, and you live through her Ignite.

In this way, I think zilean is a GREAT counter to common strong solo laners in the current meta. Not only can he dish out as much damage as the enemy (very hard to avoid it too), but he can revive when they go for the kill.

- Mage zilean seems to have a lot of mana problems, or it may just be that I don't have my mana-reg seals equipped.

I'm still working out the build for mage zilean, and this is where theorycraft comes in. What should the start be? Doran's Ring? Boots? Amplifying Tome? Sapphire Crystal?

What item should be rushed next? catalyst the protector or Sorcerer's Shoes? Or maybe a philosopher's stone?

After that, what's the best course of action? Go straight for a Rabadon's Deathcap, then Banshee's Veil? Should a Rylai's Crystal Scepter be thrown in? what about Archangel's Staff?

DISCUSS!
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 12:09pm | Report
I would rush Tear of the Goddess
It'll allow you to spam your abilities once you have max CDR and will give you good early mana regen.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 12:12pm | Report
Start with Doran's Ring, then build deathcap asap.

Mage Zilean loses most of his power past level 9.

You need to get as much AP as possible, as soon as possible.
Tri lane for life.
Dotter
<Member>
Dotter's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 12:22pm | Report
I've played mage Zilean a lot, but I think his late game is too weak to make it that viable. He is extremely powerful in the laning phase and at harrassing, but his damage potential isn't nearly as high as for mages as Annie, Veigar, Brand & Malzahar.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 12:38pm | Report
Tear seems very good. You run out so fast, even with mana-reg runes/masteries.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 12:48pm | Report
ya the major problem with mage zil is his late game. Damage doesnt scale too well, so he's left with a rather mediocre burst in the form of bomb>rewind>bomb. If you don't have a ridiculously good early game with him, he won't be of much use later on, he'll be too easy to focus down since you build purely AP
Dotter
<Member>
Dotter's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 12:50pm | Report
Tear is sweet if going mage Zilean ^^
I've considered trying DFG, for the damage in late game. It gives you a way better burst and doesn't lose it's damage potential ^^
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 1:42pm | Report
theBMB wrote:

ya the major problem with mage zil is his late game. Damage doesnt scale too well, so he's left with a rather mediocre burst in the form of bomb>rewind>bomb. If you don't have a ridiculously good early game with him, he won't be of much use later on, he'll be too easy to focus down since you build purely AP

The EXACT reason why you RUSH deathcap and take FULL advantage of your insane early game.
Tri lane for life.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 1:46pm | Report
Rushing Deathcap is a meh strategy after the nerf. It now provides no more AP for your money than buying Needlessly Large Rods.
It's probably a better idea to build some other AP item first.
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 27, 2011 2:03pm | Report
You don't REALLY need Tear. Tear is just a lackluster item in general on MOST champions.

Start Doran's so you can harass effectively and repeatedly. Get another Doran's if you have to, then go for a Catalyst. Build Rod of Ages if you're ahead or just go for Deathcap if you're behind, turning Cata into a Banshee's later on.

Take blue buff whenever possible. Zilean is CRAZY mana hungry. The problem I have with Tear is that it kinda delays your damage too much and ruins your powerful early game, because Zilean really tapers off late-game.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide