Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Rushing Last Whisper

Creator: Svingas January 23, 2012 9:51am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:13pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

2x dorans + vamp into I.E. is pretty standard right now.

when the enemy AD has (Because you are pooping on them.)

is pretty hilarious.
Tri lane for life.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:24pm | Report
It's the same reason you would go Deathcap instead of rushing a Void Staff.

Just crunch numbers and you'll see that there's no comparison.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:29pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

It's the same reason you would go Deathcap instead of rushing a Void Staff.

Yeah, pretty much this. LW and Void are both great items, but you want to already have some damage before you buy them.
Pranzatelli
<Member>
Pranzatelli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:33pm | Report
With the Last Whisper, you're paying 57.25g for every point of AD. With the Infinity Edge, you're paying 47.875g for every point of AD. More AD for the cost is a plus of Infinity Edge.

The critical effect and passive effect of Infinity Edge is approximately 37.5% increased damage. ((.75*1)+(.25*2.5)-1=.375) This value increases dramatically with crit, which is an argument both for a later buy of Infinity Edge as well as the value of an early Infinity Edge with crit runes/masteries. This is akin to Deathcap, where we get an item with AP before the Deathcap, because the value of the passive is more significant, or just roll with flat AP runes.

To get that value-for cost from Last Whisper, you'd need a 22.4% increased damage effect (.375*(2290/3830)=.224). If we use the function (100+X)/(100+.6X) as the function for the value of Last Whisper, where X is the amount of the target's armor, the point at which Last Whisper's passive is at least 22.4% increased value is 84.34 armor. Factoring in the less attack-damage-per-gold value of Last Whisper, you'd probably need around 90-95 armor on the target before it's worth it.

I rescind my argument that Last Whisper is a great all-game item. I think the ceiling for its niche should be lowered, though. Maybe mid-game. You certainly don't need a 150-armor enemy for it to be valuable, though. Plus, this only applies to auto-attacks; physical-damage abilities that don't crit (read: Caitlyn) will add value to the item.

Just my two cents.

Thanks to Jeffy40Hands for the quilt!
If you thought my comment made sense, +Rep!
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:34pm | Report

"Theorycraft is the attempt to mathematically analyze game mechanics in order to gain a better understanding of the inner workings of the game."

I'm sure there's evidence for using Infinity Edge early as a carry; I do it all the time. But why is it a better start than Last Whisper?

Let's say you are someone who doesn't scale super mega awesomely amazing with AD, like Ashe.

Base : 130.258

: 325.8

: 181.286

So, a 250% dps increase for 3830g(.065 %/g), or a 40% DPS increase for 2290g(.017 %/g).

If the enemy has enough armor to justify LW before I.E. you shouldn't be attacking them at all.
Tri lane for life.
Pranzatelli
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:37pm | Report
^This DPS calculation doesn't factor in armor, which is, like, the entire point of Last Whisper.
This is DPS before armor.

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:37pm | Report
Temzilla wrote:

If the enemy has enough armor to justify LW before I.E. you shouldn't be attacking them at all.

Not correct.

The best and most important thing you can do as an AD carry in a fight is stay alive. Your opponent's tanky champions are the ones who will rush at you, and their squishy carries will stay at the back. If you try to focus your opponent's squishies as an AD carry at any decent skill level you will get completely ****ed by their entire team.

Sometimes you can't avoid focusing a tank if they're heading right for you trying to kill you while their carries have good positioning. Lategame AD carries can destroy tanks very quickly anyway, so why not?
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:45pm | Report
Luther is right and has been prty much this whole thread.

I don't consider LW to be a better purchase to I.E. until my target has about 150 armor.

That's the rough threshold where LW becomes the better buy in my mind.
Pranzatelli
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:49pm | Report
It's not the threshold when Last Whisper becomes the better buy in reality, but feel free to think what you think. Math indicates that threshold is actually 90-95 armor, but if you want to give me a more specific example (crit chance, damage and armor penetration already on the character), I will be happy to tell you the value of each item. With math. Actual math.

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 3:51pm | Report
^ Are you including the interaction between IE's crit chance and crit damage passive and Phantom Dancer?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide