Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Rushing Last Whisper

Creator: Svingas January 23, 2012 9:51am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 4:35pm | Report

I feel ignored. I think caps will fix this problem.
AS I'VE SAID BEFORE, TEMZILLA, YOUR MATH IS FLAWED! IT IS AN ARMOR-BLIND DPS SIMULATION! ALMOST ALL OF LAST WHISPER'S VALUE COMES FROM ARMOR PENETRATION!
IF YOU THINK THAT LAST WHISPER IS ONLY VALUABLE AT 202 ARMOR, PLEASE POST YOUR MATHEMATICAL EVIDENCE FOR THAT STATEMENT!

Also, that's interesting. With little to no AP, Rabadon's is terrible for the cost. Though I'd rather focus on Last Whisper.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hcxml3c2lnm5amk/IE%20vs%20LW.xlsx

Also, my "Gold/EDPS" column is backwards, it's actually the amount of EDPS you get per gold.

Bigger numbers = better in all cases.

The 46.3 out to the side is the BASE for which i subtract, because I'm looking purely at the increase in DPS/gold, not the total dps/gold.
Tri lane for life.
Pranzatelli
<Member>
Pranzatelli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 5:03pm | Report
"If it's your opinion that reliable damage is better than massive crushing spike damage, your opinion is unfortunately wrong."

Ugh. Are you doing anything more than skimming what I say? I'm saying that burst damage is not a virtue in its own right, and in light of the arguments for and against it, I'd prefer to treat it as a constant value to DPS (so that I can compare it to other values). If you can't see the faults in RNG, you are very optimistic. The game re-rolls every swing; 25% crit chance doesn't mean one out of every four hits are going to crit.

And thank you, Temzilla. I will be using a different computer to view it and I will look forward to discussing it with you :D

Thanks to Jeffy40Hands for the quilt!
If you thought my comment made sense, +Rep!
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 7:18pm | Report
And thank you, Temzilla. I will be using a different computer to view it and I will look forward to discussing it with you :D

My math was wrong, my bad.

Instead of
Code:
=B1*((100)/((B2*0.54)+94))
in cell B3, enter instead
Code:
=B1*((100)/(((B2-6)*0.54)+100))

I was simulating the flat armor penetration from Masteries in the wrong order.

I Think I'm just going to make this a little bit more elequent, and re-upload it.

Haha, go figure, i messed it up on both of them.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pybiik47nynd2j0/IE%20vs%20LW.xlsx

New Link.
Tri lane for life.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2012 9:07pm | Report
Temzilla wrote:

Let's say you are someone who doesn't scale super mega awesomely amazing with AD, like Ashe.

Base : 130.258

: 325.8

: 181.286

So, a 250% dps increase for 3830g(.065 %/g), or a 40% DPS increase for 2290g(.017 %/g).

I was rather skeptical of these numbers, so I re-ran them. Taking the runes and masteries from jhoijhoi's Ashe guide here, I come up with a level 18 attack damage of 100.6 and attack speed, with the boots, of 1.2180896. Combined with 4% crit and 10% crit damage from masteries, and we get a DPS-before-armor of (100.6*(1+.04*1.1)*1.2180896) =~ 127.932, a bit lower than your mark. I note that without the runes and masteries, Ashe's level 18 DPS-before-armor comes out well below your figure.

Taking LW as our second item, we end up with (140.6*1.044*1.2180896) =~ 178.799 DPS-before-armor, again a bit lower.

Taking IE instead, (180.6*(1+.29*1.6)*1.2180896) =~ 322.061 DPS-before-armor, which is pretty close to your figure.

This isn't going to change your figure much, of course, but updating your spreadsheet with the new numbers I get the armor where they become equal as between 236 and 237; IE is slightly better at 236, LW is slightly better at 237.

Still, as Pranzatelli has mentioned, this doesn't account for physical abilities which can't crit.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Pranzatelli
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2012 12:06pm | Report
I find the more sophisticated my simulations (factoring in masteries, runes, base items, etc.), the more the balance tips in favor of Infinity Edge.

Percentage and flat armor reduction and flat armor penetration are all applied before percentage armor penetration, which devalue percentage armor penetration (Sunder, conventional armor penetration runes, Urgot's E, Black Cleaver, etc.). Even Weapons Expertise, the other method of gaining percentage armor penetration, reduces the effectiveness of Last Whisper from 40% to 36% (because they scale multiplicatively). So, lots of stuff that are very normal all devalue Last Whisper.

This explains why the target needs irrationally-high armor to make it useful: all other forms of armor penetration devalue Last Whisper's effect.

Infinity Edge, on the other hand, is more valuable with crit chance. By a lot. Lethality doesn't really affect the value (because it stacks additively), which is an advantage over the multiplicative stacking of percentage armor penetration.

Therefore, a carry will have to NOT build flat armor penetration or reduction if they want to buy a Last Whisper, and build something else. Plus, the other stats (crit chance, crit damage, attack damage, attack speed) all scale multiplicatively off each other, increasing each others' value. Last Whisper is stuck to niche occasions and builds that revolve around it.

Anyway, that's what my sims indicate.

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2012 12:25pm | Report
Imo, IE + PD + LW is basically the holy trinity of AD items.
Pranzatelli
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2012 12:55pm | Report
Quoted:

Opinion? Or assertion?

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2012 1:00pm | Report
Err, opinion? :P

It's the build all the pro players seem to use, and it seems to make the most mathematical sense too (I haven't actually worked it out because I'm lazy and slow at Maths, but that's what I'd guess looking at the stats).
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2012 2:24pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

It's also functionally the best no matter what the math says.
Pranzatelli
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2012 3:04pm | Report
Quoted:
...no matter what the math says.

The game functions on numbers. LoL is organized mathematically as a system.
If you really don't think math is valuable in determining the worth of an item (if that's an honor only the pro players can grant), why are you wasting your time on this theorycrafting thread?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide