Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

What to build on new Garen?

Creator: Xenotechie August 11, 2012 1:40am
1 2
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 6:29am | Report
How is it not? Gives a good amount of AD, and the ArP isn't something to say no to, and then there's the clearly needed cooldown reduction, which is to say it mildly: simply critical.

On another note, I'll give it a go for a building sequence for an off-tank Garen befitting his update;

Boots + 3x Health Potions
Doran's Blade
Doran's Blade
Boots of Swiftness/ Mercury's Treads
Phage
The Brutalizer
Hexdrinker
**Sell one Doran's**
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impaler
Maw of Malmortius
Infinity Edge/ Last Whisper

- Thinking about it, this might need some rethinking as well. I would like to have a GA in there, but I ran out of room. Hmm...

Anyways, this is my bet so far :)

Kirluu~
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
Xenotechie
<Guide Critic>
Xenotechie's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 6:58am | Report
Kirluu wrote:

How is it not? Gives a good amount of AD, and the ArP isn't something to say no to, and then there's the clearly needed cooldown reduction, which is to say it mildly: simply critical.

On another note, I'll give it a go for a building sequence for an off-tank Garen befitting his update;

Boots + 3x Health Potions
Doran's Blade
Doran's Blade
Boots of Swiftness/ Mercury's Treads
Phage
The Brutalizer
Hexdrinker
**Sell one Doran's**
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impaler
Maw of Malmortius
Infinity Edge/ Last Whisper

- Thinking about it, this might need some rethinking as well. I would like to have a GA in there, but I ran out of room. Hmm...

Anyways, this is my bet so far :)

Kirluu~

I was saying it was not as effective as it was, but it is still quite effective, just never really liked building it. Then again, it does build into Youmuu's Ghostblade, so, seems like a good idea to grab it. I say you can freely ditch Atma's Impaler in favor of survivability, with a passive like that building resistances over HP seems far more rewarding. I did some calculations: assuming I am using 9 flat armor seals and 9 magic resist per level glyphs, Garen has 80 armor and 77 magic resistance without the passive and any items. With the passive, it is 96 armor and 92 magic resistance. Now, a Guardian Angel raises those to base 148 armor and 115 magic resistance, buffed by the passive up to 177 armor and 138 magic resistance. That is 23 bonus magic resistance and 29 bonus armor via the passive, which puts the values close to the values the old passive gived at full farm. Just keep that in mind.

At any rate, I'll try a variation on this a whirl and see how it goes once the patch goes live.

Did I help you? Do you feel nice today? Take a look at my guide,I would really appreciate it.

NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 7:31am | Report
I normally build him like this:

Boots + pots
Doran's Blade * 2
The Brutalizer
Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Phage
B. F. Sword
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge
Guardian Angel
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Last Whisper

Sell Doran's Blade if needed. 25% cdr early so you make best use out of your midgame strength. It also loweres the CD to activate Perseverance, so this even helps your sustain.

I think Garen could jungle now aswell.
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 8:18am | Report
Generally I don't find it to be a good idea to go Garen jungle. He has no CC, and his speed-buff is super short in early levels. You'll need to have red buff at all times, possibly forcing you to counterjungle, which I'm not sure to be safe until at least a bit later, once you have a higher level in Decisive Strike.

Other than that, I'm not fond of Ionian Boots of Lucidity, since it doesn't give you excessive speed like Boots of Swiftness and also doesn't help you in terms of tenacity ( Mercury Treads), which is the only better choice than the speed from Swiftness. I can of course see the CDR being extremely useful, however when you choose something that doesn't benefit your speed in particular, I feel like you're forced to get an item or two that increase your movement to compensate for this. The best answer for this would most likely be to either switch out Frozen Mallet with Trinity Force, or to substitute something else for Phantom Dancer.
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 12, 2012 11:31am | Report
brutalizer is a noob trap on garen, if you want it you can swap 1 or both dorans for it, but honestly with his new reduced cds and the 4% you already get from masteries and the arp you have from runes its unnecessary.
BusDriver210
<Member>
BusDriver210's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 14, 2012 7:12pm | Report
NicknameMy wrote:
I think Garen could jungle now aswell.

I'm definitely working on this.
+Rep me if i'm useful!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions: