Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Fav top lane champion and why?

Creator: TotemTiki July 20, 2014 6:16am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
TotemTiki
<Member>
TotemTiki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 6:16am | Report
Who is YOUR favorite top lane champion and why? Tell us some concepts that you find interesting in them and some ideas for good builds!
TYVM Ubby for this AMAZING Sig!
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 7:16am | Report
Garen

Build:

Items: Mercury's Treads, Sunfire Aegis, Spirit Visage, Black Cleaver, Randuin's Omen, Warmog's Armor

Runes: AD marks, Armor or Armor/lvl seals, MR or MR/Lvl glyphs, MS Quints

Masteries: 9/21/0

Summoner spells: Flash, Ignite

Why? A champion that can dominate the top lane in the earlygame. He is the best counterpick for Riven and if he wins the lane, he can also dominate the game with levels, because of his absurd tankyness and killing power against carries. Can even beat Teemo if played well. Also beats everyone that has to get close to deal damage but can't escape easily until they get to strong ( Lee Sin, Jax, Irelia, etc.). Only problem with him, most of the time, Renekton is just the better pick overall.

Rammus

Build:

Items: Sorcerer's Shoes - Homeguard, Deathfire Grasp, Zhonya's Hourglass, Lich Bane, Void Staff, Rabadon's Deathcap

Runes: MPen marks, armor seals, AP/lvl glyphs, AP Quints

Summoner spells: Teleport, Flash

Definitly one of the most funny champs to play. Wrecks champs that need to stay close or can't flee fast enough of him. Does ridiculous burst damage thanks to Deathfire Grasp+ Powerball+ Soaring Slam, which kills enemies instantly. Also, Soaring Slam offers great damage over time, while beeing tanky thanks to Defensive Ball Curl. Best thing: Wrecking Ball mode, use Teleport on a ward and roll with hyperspeed into the carry line. Bad waveclear early, good waveclear late.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 8:02am | Report
I myself also Fancy Garen Top lane, my build is far different than Nickname's tho.

Runes: AD Quints, AD Marks, Armor Seals, 6 Mr/Level Glyphs, 3 Flat MR Glyphs

Masteries: 21/9, with Spell and Blade Weaving

Spells: Flash or Ghost and Ignite

General Build Order: Rush brutalizer, Sunfire Cape, Ninja Tabi or merc Treads, Banshees Veil, Youmuus if enemy team is mostly Squishy, Black Cleaver if enemy team has multiple beefy guys, Randuin's Omen, Atmas Impaler.

I love playing Garen due to his simplicity and high early kill power. As Nickname stated he dumpsters on a lot of champions I hate (Irelia, Jax, Riven), so he's always going to remain near the top of my list of champions until those champs become unpopular (Likely won't happen).

My other main top is Jarvan IV.

Runes: AD Quints, Armor Pen Marks, Armor Seals, 6 Mr/Level Glyphs, 3 flat MR glyphs

Masteries: 21/9/0 with Spell and Blade Weaving.

Spells: Flash and Ignite or Teleport

Build Order: Rush Hydra, Get bruta or Black Cleaver if you are fed, Ninja Tabi or Merc Treads, Randuin's Omen, Banshee's Veil, Maw/Ga/Warmog's

J4 was the first champion I ever mained and I've always played him top, even when he was a top tier jungler. He's surrently a very strong top laner and his jungling suffers. Anyway, J4 is really good at snowballing top lane with his early burst and bully power. His Q+Passive combo is excessively hard to outtrade (Can't think of anyone that absolutely outrades you on this atm) and he can full combo dunk most champions at level 6. His only real issues are Renekton and other bullies with sustain. But he also has amazing ganks and that's why I'd suggest TP for some matches.

And lastly, my unorthodox Top is Quinn

Runes: 1 AD Quint, 2 AS Quints, AD Marks, Armor Seals, Flat Mr Glyphs

Masteries: 21/9/0 with Spell and BLade Weaving

Spells: Flash and Ignite

Build Order: Brutalizer Rush, Blade of the Ruined King, Ninja Tabi/Mercs/berserker Greaves, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Infinity Edge, Last Whisper, Banshee's Veil or GA

Quinn dumpsters on nearly every meta melee top laner. Like, it's pretty sad for them. The catch? She's ridiculously easy to camp due to being an ADC. You will shove the lane unintentially, and you will be ganked. A lot. Key is to just relentlessly beat the other dude so hard that there will be no "ganks" there will only be lane holds, or 2v1 victories for you. Quinn excels at splitpushing, so in that regard she plays somewhat like Jax or Tryndamere in terms of goals after laning phase.
emoriam
<Veteran>
emoriam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 8:15am | Report
Irelia
  • Items: Ninja Tabi/ Mercury's Treads, Trinity Force, Randuin's Omen/ Frozen Heart, Banshee's Veil, Zephyr/ Blade of the Ruined King/ Youmuu's Ghostblade (early Doran's Blade is important, two of them generally)
  • Runes: AD/ AS Marks, Armor Seals, MR/ MR per lvl or CDR Glyphs, AS/ MS Quintessences
  • Masteries: 21/9/0
  • Summoner Spells: Flash, Teleport/ Ignite
  • Irelia can snowball easily and dominate many lanes aswell except against some lane bullies like Renekton or Gragas. Her ability to assassinate while being able to tank is phenomenal along. You just rely on one main damage item because her mixed damage and especially true damage are hard to deal with. Farming with Bladesurge and using the reset tool to initiate or outplay is a spree. You can use Sheen to its full extent with your ultimate and due to her passive and the correct item build your sticking power is uncontestable.
    I like building extra tenacity on her and if building a second damage item it should provide AS and MS either directly or by using an active. Max W > E > Q and start with E against melee in lane and Q against Ranged - not a rule but it works often.
Thanks to Natuhlee for this sig!
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 9:05am | Report
I've mained a lot of different top laners (some longer than others): Lee Sin, Irelia, Olaf, Zac, Elise, Kennen, Renekton, Shyvana.... Out of all of those, I'd have to say Zac was my favourite back when he was stronger, my games on him were probably the most enjoyable experiences I've had playing this game.

Right now it'd have to be Jarvan IV, though OTG already posted a setup for him. I'm also quite liking Rumble (though I haven't played him too often just yet), so I guess for the sake of the thread I'll leave some info on what I feel is an optimal setup to use on him:

Rumble

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
Electro522
<Guide Critic>
Electro522's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 9:57am | Report
Mordekaiser. :D Im sure my guide will explain as to why.

Nasus is also a favorite of mine.

Items: Trinity Force, Sunfire Aegis, Spirit Visage, Ninja Tabi, Warmog's Armor, then Randuin's Omen or Banshee's Veil.

Runes: Lifesteal Quints, Attack damage marks, Armor seals, and scaling MR glyphs (straight MR glyphs for ap tops)

Nasus may be a risky pick due to his weak but extremely crucial laning phase. However, if played correctly, he can win a game single handedly. If he ever gets to 4/0 (4 kills, 0 deaths), the game is basically over unless the other team has a really strong late game.

Garen is a favorite of mine as well. I build him the same as Nick, except I get Ninja Tabi.

I have found that Garen tends to be consistently good against many of the top laners. Yes, he counters Riven and such, but I always use him as a champ to fall back on if I am unsure of the matchup, because I know he will perform well against pretty much anyone (except Teemo).
A thanks to Janitsu for this signature!
TotemTiki
<Member>
TotemTiki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 10:10am | Report
Electro522 wrote:

Mordekaiser. :D Im sure my guide will explain as to why.

Nasus is also a favorite of mine.

Items: Trinity Force, Sunfire Aegis, Spirit Visage, Ninja Tabi, Warmog's Armor, then Randuin's Omen or Banshee's Veil.

Runes: Lifesteal Quints, Attack damage marks, Armor seals, and scaling MR glyphs (straight MR glyphs for ap tops)

Nasus may be a risky pick due to his weak but extremely crucial laning phase. However, if played correctly, he can win a game single handedly. If he ever gets to 4/0 (4 kills, 0 deaths), the game is basically over unless the other team has a really strong late game.

Garen is a favorite of mine as well. I build him the same as Nick, except I get Ninja Tabi.

I have found that Garen tends to be consistently good against many of the top laners. Yes, he counters Riven and such, but I always use him as a champ to fall back on if I am unsure of the matchup, because I know he will perform well against pretty much anyone (except Teemo).

I really like how Nasus can get few damage items and loads of tank items, and still be massively successful. In certain cases, and correct me if I am wrong, I would prefer to make a Iceborn Gaunlet on Nasus? Do you think that that is viable, or just plain absurd?
TotemTiki
<Member>
TotemTiki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 10:24am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

I've mained a lot of different top laners (some longer than others): Lee Sin, Irelia, Olaf, Zac, Elise, Kennen, Renekton, Shyvana.... Out of all of those, I'd have to say Zac was my favourite back when he was stronger, my games on him were probably the most enjoyable experiences I've had playing this game.

Right now it'd have to be Jarvan IV, though OTG already posted a setup for him. I'm also quite liking Rumble (though I haven't played him too often just yet), so I guess for the sake of the thread I'll leave some info on what I feel is an optimal setup to use on him:

Rumble

Olaf top... Currently SOOO broken. I hate it. That true damage OP. And for Rumble, AP quints or Scaling AP quints?? Additionally, I have seen Rumble top a lot in ranked, and I feel like Zhonya's is more of a situational item than core? OR do you believe it is needed?
TotemTiki
<Member>
TotemTiki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 10:26am | Report
NicknameMy wrote:

Garen

Build:

Items: Mercury's Treads, Sunfire Aegis, Spirit Visage, Black Cleaver, Randuin's Omen, Warmog's Armor

Runes: AD marks, Armor or Armor/lvl seals, MR or MR/Lvl glyphs, MS Quints

Summoner spells: Flash, Ignite

Why? A champion that can dominate the top lane in the earlygame. He is the best counterpick for Riven and if he wins the lane, he can also dominate the game with levels, because of his absurd tankyness and killing power against carries. Can even beat Teemo if played well. Also beats everyone that has to get close to deal damage but can't escape easily until they get to strong ( Lee Sin, Jax, Irelia, etc.). Only problem with him, most of the time, Renekton is just the better pick overall.

Rammus

Build:

Items: Sorcerer's Shoes - Homeguard, Deathfire Grasp, Zhonya's Hourglass, Lich Bane, Void Staff, Rabadon's Deathcap

Runes: MPen marks, armor seals, AP/lvl glyphs, AP Quints

Summoner spells: Teleport, Flash

Definitly one of the most funny champs to play. Wrecks champs that need to stay close or can't flee fast enough of him. Does ridiculous burst damage thanks to Deathfire Grasp+ Powerball+ Soaring Slam, which kills enemies instantly. Also, Soaring Slam offers great damage over time, while beeing tanky thanks to Defensive Ball Curl. Best thing: Wrecking Ball mode, use Teleport on a ward and roll with hyperspeed into the carry line. Bad waveclear early, good waveclear late.

WOW Rammus is extremely fun to play, but have you tried Rammus] jungle? And about Garen... I have lately seen Garen players make a Hydra. Do you think that is legit, or what?
TotemTiki
<Member>
TotemTiki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2014 10:30am | Report
emoriam wrote:

Irelia
  • Items: Ninja Tabi/ Mercury's Treads, Trinity Force, Randuin's Omen/ Frozen Heart, Banshee's Veil, Zephyr/ Blade of the Ruined King/ Youmuu's Ghostblade (early Doran's Blade is important, two of them generally)
  • Runes: AD/ AS Marks, Armor Seals, MR/ MR per lvl or CDR Glyphs, AS/ MS Quintessences
  • Masteries: 21/9/0
  • Summoner Spells: Flash, Teleport/ Ignite
  • Irelia can snowball easily and dominate many lanes aswell except against some lane bullies like Renekton or Gragas. Her ability to assassinate while being able to tank is phenomenal along. You just rely on one main damage item because her mixed damage and especially true damage are hard to deal with. Farming with Bladesurge and using the reset tool to initiate or outplay is a spree. You can use Sheen to its full extent with your ultimate and due to her passive and the correct item build your sticking power is uncontestable.
    I like building extra tenacity on her and if building a second damage item it should provide AS and MS either directly or by using an active. Max W > E > Q and start with E against melee in lane and Q against Ranged - not a rule but it works often.

Geez a stomper. I had a game yesterday where I played jungle Skarner, and our top was a GP. That Irelia ate him, our carry, our mid, and me. GEEZ TOO STRONK. I still can't figure out how to counter her. Any tips?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide