This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Garen - The Might of Season 11
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Champion Build Guide
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/c/remotenightowl
Coming Soon! - Season 11 Guide
- Below is additional supplementary material for general game knowledge
- Item Breakdowns Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfHYgmBhHLo&list=PLZoYlzZsjt2tHFWcvN6JOJUz6d8qiFuxj
- Advanced League Tips Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBOw7KeJdhI&list=PLZoYlzZsjt2tk4FZ31DpN1oUhh-3cZxMt
- The Ideal Laning Phase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rcjyw5_az8
- Basics of Auto Attacking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQmIouSZPw
- Minions per Level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKlo4or6Sn4&t=371s
- Farm vs. Kills in Lane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNXqgZpecA
- Rune/Item Combo for AD vs. AP Top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFetCDPmgAY
- Either Plated Steelcaps or Mercury's Treads. The Heroic Gate passive from Stridebreaker gives you enough extra movement speed so Boots of Swiftness are not viable. Plated Steelcaps against 3 or more AD, and Mercury's Treads against 3 or more AP.
- Right now Stridebreaker is best due to its dash and movement speed passive. Despite Prowler's Claw having a dash, Stridebreaker gives you better stats for a bruiser because Prowler's Claw only gives offensive stats for an Assassin.
- Black Cleaver - stacks movement speed with it's cleave passive that is also buffed by Stridebreaker. Armor shred synergizes with his E armor shred and also just gives him extra haste and damage.
- Sterak's Gage - AD/HP/HP regen in combat and an in combat shield. All great stats for a front line bruiser.
- Death's Dance - Armor/AD/Haste as well as damage negation and a heal on champion take down. Again, great for a front line bruiser who needs to soak damage.
- Spirit Visage - Haste/HP/MR/Health regen and 25% boost on heals and shields. Synergizes with Perseverance, Sterak's Gage, Death's Dance, and enchanting supports.
- These items are situational and are used if the game calls for something other than Black Cleaver. In other words, let Black Cleaver be the item that you flex out if needed.
- Randuin's Omen good for dealing with Crit heavy teams.
- Thornmail good for armor and grievous wounds.
- Force of Nature good for 4 or 5 AP heavy teams.
I'll be as straight forward as possible. Start Decisive Strike for last hitting minions, speed Boost, and Gap closing early. Then Max Judgment by Lvl. 9, Then Max Decisive Strike, Followed by Maxing Courage by Lvl. 18, and as always, Ult Demacian Justice at Lvls. 6, 11, and 16. ALWAYS MAX Judgment first, however you can put a second point into Decisive Strike at level 5 and still max Judgment by level 9 for more utility. Any questions, follow the Leveling Chart. Also, your Courage passive is retroactive so do not take it level 1. What I mean is, if you wait until level 3 to get it, the minions you have already farmed will automatically count towards your Courage passive before taking a point into it. The reason for a second point in Decisive Strike by level 5 is because the movement speed got nerfed at level 1. So you still have plenty of damage from your kit, and you can still max Judgment by level 9, this just gives you more utility from the extra movement speed you need.
Courage -> Decisive Strike -> Judgment: Same as above, but adds your shield for Damage Absorb.
Demacian Justice: Lvl. 1 Ult. - Use when enemy is at 300 Health or Lower. Lvl. 2-Health Bar is at a quarter Health or lower. Lvl. 3 Health Bar is One Third health or lower. If you are focusing on the villain, the mark will trigger an animation and the trigger means your ult has enough damage to kill them.
Judgment -> Courage -> Decisive Strike: Ok, so this is Garen's "advanced" combo. LOL. When you start your Judgment, you can travel through units, but you lose movement speed. By hitting Courage then Decisive Strike, or just Decisive Strike, you regain your movement speed and then some, allowing you to finish with Decisive Strike, allowing for 1 or 2 additional auto attacks, and a secured Demacian Justice cast if the champion is low enough. Remember, do not hit Judgment a second time unless you want to stop your spin early. Also don't forget to use Stridebreaker. This can be used to both engage and add extra damage to Judgment, as Stridebreaker can be cast during his spin and it won't cancel the animation or damage!
- Heavy Tank and Bully in lane for teamfights mid and late game.
- Good tower diver and split pusher
- Courage gives a small Health Shield, increased resitances passively and tenacity during activation.
- Demacian Justice Provides a secured attempt at a kill. (Cannot be canceled or put on cool down by any source. Can be blocked (ie enemy Banshee's Veil)
- Perseverance gives more health regen per level so it scales up nicely.
- Judgment now has an Armor shred component which, when paired with Black Cleaver, will potentially shred 49% of enemies total armor when hit with 5 ticks of Garen's Judgment and up to 10 instances of physical damage from Garen.
- Countered by ranged champions early and mid game
- Can still be kited and peeled if enemy knows how to play against you
- 4 AP or higher teams make building early and mid game hard due to sustain and squishyness
- How to engage: If Flash is up and you are ready to go, do Decisive Strike -> Flash -> Courage/ Judgment -> then when applicable -> Demacian Justice. Otherwise, just charge in with Decisive Strike and follow ability combos. If the team decides to dive on you first, start Courage/ Judgment, then Decisive Strike for speed burst and your Judgment will end with your Decisive Strike immediately on the Champion of your choice on the enemy team.
When you Flash in, focus the primary threat, usually the ADC or Mid lane carry (Assassin or Mage). When you hit your Q on them, they will be silenced, allowing your team to move in and follow up on the threats as you as a team see them. If a tank or support is the villain, you still need to focus on the primary threat even if they are not the villain. An exception to this would be Soraka, kill her so she cant heal anyone.