Vi Build Guide by InTheMyst
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello all. This is my first guide. I've read many guides in my time playing League and wanted to give back. One qualm I had with most guides is that they were too long. What I wanted from a guide is usually the following: item builds, masteries, runes, and strategy. I hope you take the time to read the bit I will write regarding Vi's strategy. Good luck in your divisions and may Platinum Elo be right around the corner.
I want to keep this short and sweet. If you have any questions, please ask. I may not be the best mechanically, but I have a good handle on how the game works.
Creeping / Jungling
I'll try to keep this as simple as possible.
1) Start red buff, level E. Pull out the lizard, use both stacks of E to hit the lizard and two smaller lizards, then smite at less than or equal to 390 HP. Kill one of the smaller lizards, level Q, and then kill the other lizard.
2) Go straight to wraiths, Q into the 3 smaller wraiths, AA (autoattack) one small wraith, then E, kite to bush, AA another small wraith, then E, and then finish the last wraith with an AA. LEAVE THE BIG WRAITH. Doing this will ensure you hit level 3 off of blue buff.
3)Q into blue, trinket over the wall, smite at less than or equal to 410 HP. Level W.
From here, check to see if any lanes are pushed up. If they are, go for a gank. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO FLASH Q. This may take practice, but can ensure a first blood. Always make sure to let your laners know where you are going and when you are about to gank.
Do not get stuck farming in the jungle. You will level slower and get less gold. With Vi, do not be afraid to gank a lot. Ideally, you will want to get a kill or assist early, and then farm the jungle until your buffs run out. Try to back when you have 30 seconds left on your RED BUFF spawn. This will give you enough time to buy, get to red, and start the cycle again.
Place your pink, take your first blue, and set up another gank. Remember to keep an eye on dragon.
Side note: After every successful gank. IE the laner dies. SHOVE THE LANE. This will deny exp and gold for the enemy laner and let your own laner recall without the lane being frozen.
This is how I play every early game with Vi.
DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHERE THEIR CHAMPS ARE.
Example 1: Enemy jungler shows top and you are on botside, invade their wraiths or wolves, leaving a small creep. If you have the red trinket/pink ward, AND elder lizard item, ping your teammates to do dragon.
Example 2: Enemy jungler shows bot and you are top, invade wraiths/wolves, leaving a small creep.
Example 3: Enemy jungler is dead, invade whichever side of their jungle you are closer to/shove a lane into tower.
If you are extremely fed, as you should be. You should be looking to Q into a champ with our without flash, landing a few E's, and then ulting if they try to get away. Vi is very good at dueling with her Q (disrupt) and her passive.
In teamfights, you should either be peeling your fed apc or adc with Q (to knock them back) or you should be going for an instant kill on their adc or apc with your own ult. There are numerous team comps, so whether or not you engage will depend on compositions. If they have a stun heavy team, be wary of diving the adc. If they are a dive heavy team, I would let them engage, and then go straight for their backline.
Your main goal as Vi is to get rid of the main dmg dealer and/or to keep them out of the fight.
Get to Platinum
Here are some key tips.
1) Do not rage. Ever. Do not criticize people. Do not curse. Do not SHOW your anger.
2) Keep a positive attitude. These players in Bronze-Plat are not LCS pros. Throws happen all the time. You wouldn't believe the things I've seen.
3) Ward. Ward. Ward. Seriously. Going for that tower dive? Wouldn't you like to know if their mid laner is rotating down? Or if their jungler is hiding in the bush for you to come? Just ward.
4) PICK ONE OR TWO CHAMPS AND GET REALLY GOOD AT THEM. I cannot stress this enough. If you want to climb elo and get to plat/diamond, main one or two champions. Read guides, check counters, research everything you can on one or two champs and spam that. I wrote this guide for Vi, because she can carry games. Always asking yourself, how do I carry games? You pick a champ that has the ability to destroy and fed adc/apc. That trist that usually rapes your eve every game? Pick vi, Q flash into her. Land some E's. She jumps? Ult her.
5) Never give up.