Tryndamere Build Guide by Brandor
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Okay, now i know what you're thinking, Tryndamage?... you're out right crazy. YES, crazy for tryndamage. The most fun I've ever had playing this game is with ap trynd. That said, if you're looking to just be awesome and top the charts this build probably isn't for you. BUT, if you're looking to 3 hit people with the most ridiculous application of a champion I've ever seen, welcome home.
Like all trynd builds, where he really shines is mid-late game. Until then, your job is to farm like crazy and try not to die. Although, don't be afraid to over-extend just a little, you still do have that no die switch.
This build is super awesome. Will it win you games? Probably not. Will you have a blast doing it? Absolutely.
11/15- Guide finally updated since after the big Trynd update. Complete rework of the guide.
Pros / Cons
Wicked fun to play
3 or 4 hit the squishies late game
The "I don't wanna die right now" ultimate
Might be focused down
The bouncing health bar is hard to get used to
Magic resist on the other team shuts you down
This move becomes real pro with ap tryndamere. The ap bonus ONLY APPLIES ONCE with each use of the ability no matter how many stacks you have when it is used. This is even better now that you don't need stacks to activate Bloodlust because with 150% ap, q just gains massive amounts of health on CD. That said you really have to know when to use this. Ap build severely reduces the crit from items so weigh highly your fury against health especially with an ult up and since missing hp provides extra ad.
This ability is pretty much the same as with any trynd build, use it to make sure no one gets away and don't be afraid to pop it in battle to take some AD away from your opponent.
AH, spinning slash. This becomes your main source of damage with tryndaMAGE. Make sure to hit with it and keep auto-attacking while its on CD so you can crit and shave off 2 seconds to use it again faster. This can also be used to close the gap on an enemy running away so you can Mocking Shout them or used to spin over walls and make a quick escape.
Gotta love it. Tryndamere's no die button. This move really takes a lot of practice to use correctly because its very easy to waste in situations where you didn't need to use it or used it too early and died anyways. The only tip I can really give you is make sure to save your Bloodlust until just before the Undying Rage buff goes away and to try and know what your enemies are capable of doing to you.
The crit is pretty necessary, but for glyphs they get way too worthless which is why I flat AP there. I run MR on the quints because that's really the only thing you end up lacking as AP Trynd.
I've been going 29/0/1 in some trials its really hard to pass up stuff in that first tree...
-pretty uncertain for now
I took all the ap. The 3 extra ad
To start off nothing about this build is really certain. The one at the top is mostly what I end up with, but the entire build is very situational and definitely should be fine tuned to how you play.
kage's lucky pick Kage's Lucky Pick and Avarice Blade
What can i say? You need the gold. The ap and crit aren't bad either plus this early crit allows you to hold off on Phantom Dancer to get more ap.
Note: Avarice Blade is the item that gets switched out for Phantom Dancer later on.
Ionian boots of lucidity
Usually i used to start out with Sorcerer's Shoes but i've settled on getting these because it gives you some much needed CDR early game. The only thing is you do miss out on the magic pen. If you get these it might be more beneficial to take the magic penetration quints instead of the crit.
These can be replaced by Sorcerer's Shoes, but if you do you might want to use crit quintessences because you'll miss out on CDR cap and crit will help to give you a shorter CD on Spinning Slash
Sheen and Lich Bane
Absolutely necessary for TryndaMAGE. Once you get up to Lich Bane it essentially turns your Spinning Slash into two moves and with higher amounts of crit you'll find your procs from Sheen and Lich Bane critting for massive amounts of damage.
This was recently adopted for one thing, that massive crit bonus. Trynd is a crit champion and even trying to play him AP without crit still just isn't good enough. It is a spot lost for some extra AP you could be getting, but totally worth it when you start seeing your Spinning Slash tick down. Switch out your Avarice Blade for this Youmuu's Ghostblade just isn't good enough when you're only using one item for crit.
AD, AP, Life Steal, and Spell Vamp. They nerfed it for a reason. The 120% AD on Spinning Slash is too good to avoid and why not get some other stats to go along.
What mana-regen? It's hard to pass up the CDR, AP, and extra damage. I think it works really well since you need that extra gold from Kage's Lucky Pick
Too good to even explain.
Note: If the other team starts stacking magic resist it might be worth it to switch Deathfire Grasp out for some more magic pen like Void Staff or Abyssal Mask.
- Ignite is good for any mage, gives you that extra little bit of damage and the healing reduction is good against anyone that heals... EX: you. The new masteries also make this good since you get this and ghost for one point.
- Ghost is always good for chasing and getting away. What I normally use.
- Flash is a valid choice because you'll be using Spinning Slash for damage so it might not be up at that perfect time you need it or you can use it to close the gap without wasting your damage.
- Exhaust is more for DPS builds, but still can be good at stopping some damage while you try and crit them to get your CD back up. I've been using this enough to make it the recommended spell along with ghost. For those times when you just can't seem to crit and reduced MR and Armor on the new talent... NICE.
Any of these four are good choices, but its always up to you and what you personally like.
Wrecking People ( Rotation )
This could have been in tips and tricks, but i felt it needed its own category.
A good way to do massive amounts of burst is to run in with stacks of Bloodlust already on.
Use Spinning Slash -> Auto hit to apply Lich Bane -> Pop Bloodlust -> Auto hit to apply Lich Bane -> repeat.
Hopefully you'll have crit a little and your Spinning Slash will have ticked down a little and almost be ready to use again.
It doesn't sound like much, but with 100% AP conversion and 50% AD Conversion on Spinning Slash it's pretty ridiculous.
Tips and Tricks
1. Use your heal often!
- Especially late game I can't stress this enough. Don't wait to get lots of stacks to heal. And if you can, try and use this to proc an extra Lich Bane hit.
2. Spin over ERRYBODY!
- Spinning Slash is one of the few AOE spells that hits everything with the same amount of damage so use it to your advantage. Try and position yourself to spin over everybody and just watch the bars go red.
3. Undying Rage, and you.
- Like I said earlier, this can be very hard to use at the best time but, by all means don't wait until its too late. This can be used to tower dive, tank a team, and survive against that stupid evelyn who's just been pickin on you all game. Just make sure you actually use it!
4. Healing with Undying Rage
- I've seen many a tryndamere healing right after they pop their ults and losing all of that health before they can even die. Point is, wait until just before the Undying Rage buff is off before using Bloodlust.
5. Exponentially increasing the amount of fun you'll have by screaming TRYNDAMAGE every time it's applicable
- Self explanatory.
- Applicable times: All the times
Thanks for reading! This is the first guide I've made, so I appreciate the feedback. I built this guide because I didn't really see any AP tryndamere guides that really did it for me and it honestly is just such a fun build. Try it out and tell me what you think!