Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

'Stealing' info from guides

Creator: Siveo August 24, 2011 1:32pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2
Siveo
<Member>
Siveo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 1:32pm | Report
Ok, so today I just looked at the new guides and I saw a new Shen guide so I was like what the heck, let's just read it and maybe help him out!

When I was reading a chapter about tips and tricks I suddently had this feeling off a 'Deja vu'! That wasn't that hard because the whole chapter was just a copy and paste from my own guide's chapter tips and tricks ...

The only things that changed was the icons off the abilities! I've already updated my tips and tricks a little so it's not exactly the same but it is originaly from me!

I don't really care that he/she used my chapter in his guide (it was quite an honor that people would use things that I wrote you know ...) but what made me mad is that he/she didn't ask to use the text and/or didn't credit me for it!

This pissed me off quite alot!
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 1:35pm | Report
Not sure if you can report people for plagiarism, but I guess it's worth a shot!
]
Siveo
<Member>
Siveo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 1:50pm | Report
Xenasis wrote:

Not sure if you can report people for plagiarism, but I guess it's worth a shot!

Well, a lot off people use bits off text from other guides! I did that too but those are like obvious things that can't be avoided to write in multiple guides!

I just want people to know that it's wrong to just take a lot off info from a guide and just copy paste it in your own guide without asking/crediting the person that made it!
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 2:05pm | Report
if you see someone copying ANYTHING from a guide, report and it will be deleted if they didn't have permission.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Siveo
<Member>
Siveo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 2:07pm | Report

if you see someone copying ANYTHING from a guide, report and it will be deleted if they didn't have permission.

I just reported so I'll just see what happens! Thanks for telling me this ;)
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 4:26pm | Report
Siveo wrote:

Well, a lot off people use bits off text from other guides! I did that too but those are like obvious things that can't be avoided to write in multiple guides!

uh what? under what circumstance would you use ANY bit of text from someone else's guide? Any amount of copying is considered plagiarism
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 4:29pm | Report
This happened to me the other day. They copied and pasted my FAQ section, even my thank you to Trojan at the end of it ^^

Report any plagiarism immediately, and a friendly Moderator will get back to you within 2 days, generally.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 4:40pm | Report
theBMB wrote:

uh what? under what circumstance would you use ANY bit of text from someone else's guide? Any amount of copying is considered plagiarism

I think he means something small like:
"Pros: Good pusher"
That might show up in multiple guides for, say, Rumble.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Siveo
<Member>
Siveo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 4:51pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
I think he means something small like:
"Pros: Good pusher"
That might show up in multiple guides for, say, Rumble.

Yes indeed, that's what I meant! Those are things that you just can't avoid!

There are also these moments that I'm reading other guides and I'm thinking: "That's totally true, I have to put that in my guide to clear out some things ..." So in that case I start writing something with that in my mind! I use the info I just read and rewrite it in my own words for my guide, build, playstyle, ...
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2011 6:37pm | Report
Siveo wrote:

Yes indeed, that's what I meant! Those are things that you just can't avoid!

There are also these moments that I'm reading other guides and I'm thinking: "That's totally true, I have to put that in my guide to clear out some things ..." So in that case I start writing something with that in my mind! I use the info I just read and rewrite it in my own words for my guide, build, playstyle, ...

Well in those cases you're not literally copying text from their guide and pasting it into yours, that's what I thought you meant. You just happened to right a piece of text that's very similar.
1 2

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide