Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

VexRoth - All That Is Ranked

Creator: VexRoth January 26, 2015 10:41pm
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 2, 2015 2:51am | Report
It seems like you've been doing very well with Dr. Mundo
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 2, 2015 9:09am | Report
utopus wrote:
It seems like you've been doing very well with Dr. Mundo

Thanks!

Yeah, I've been stomping with him in normals, so I finally decided to bring him into ranked.

The buffs he got in Patches 5.8 and 5.20 definitely helped.

5.8 Patch Notes on Mundo

5.20 Patch Notes on Mundo

Also some tips I got from Re4XN's Mundo guide smoothed out my early laning a lot.

1) You generally don't get going until you have a few levels under your belt so if you have to farm with cleavers do it.*
2) You can kill the caster minions with one cast of Blunt Force Trauma after they have taken a tower shot.

This means I don't mind getting pushed into tower. It just lets me farm up and get my items with low risk and leaves them ripe for ganks and Mundo is pretty good at assisting with ganks since his slow has a very long duration.

*Before the 5.8 changes to the health cost on Infected Bonesaw anyone with any sustain could just body block your cleavers and heal up the damage while you yourself lost health. Since you get half the health cost refunded now if you hit your target and it costs no health if you kill your target, cleaver farming is much more feasible.

I've also found you can clobber squishies even early game with

Infected Bonesaw
AA + Blunt Force Trauma + AA
Tap on, Tap off Heart Zapper

So that actually gives you kill pressure against the likes of Gangplank and Fiora even without Ignite.

Then there are the Teleport ganks. Since Dr. Mundo has significantly decreased crowd control duration with Heart Zapper active, I generally have good to great success Teleporting in and chasing down carries and supports.

Pro Tip - If you are going to push your enemy laners to their tower, be sure to sweep or pink the lane bush behind you if their Top or Mid laner has Teleport.

The other thing is that I pay a lot of attention to my health bar. With some health regeneration items if you run out of the fight before you die, you can always run in and out of range tossing cleavers at targets since throwing a cleaver can't drop you below 1 health. Late game 25% of a target's current health in magic damage is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention a 40% 2 second slow. If the fight keeps going your ultimate will probably come back up and then you can tear back into the middle of the fight and starting knocking heads.

I have found that a few champions such as Rumble are simply more useful in teamfights if you are equal in farm with them, but if that happens and your team can manage it, you can just opt not to fight the other team. Mundo Warfare!!!
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 2, 2015 7:23pm | Report

Runes: Hyb Pen, Health, MR, Armor
Masteries: 0-30-0

Summary:

Note to self, don’t first pick Dr. Mundo or you might get the Vayne. She is incredibly hard to deal with and gets to basically free farm so she’ll be able to get her items on schedule. And if the rest of your team is getting destroyed it just gets worse. Ekko was a nasty gank combo when paired with Vayne as I was itemizing against her, not magic damage. The Vayne suggested I get Frozen Heart against her instead of Thornmail. Not the best pickup for Dr. Mundo, but I’ll try to remember that if I am against another nasty ADC like her or Quinn in Top lane when I am playing a melee champion.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 2, 2015 7:39pm | Report
Quoted:
Note to self, don’t first pick Dr. Mundo or you might get the Vayne.

I disagree, actually. I think that one lost game doesn't mean that you should unconditionally avoid first picking mundo. Looking at stats alone, you did well and the rest of your team played like tr4sh (heh).

Also, if your opponent counterpicks you with something really weird and situational like Vayne, that's what I call a spite counterpick. I'd probably just ask for a lane swap, and REALLY keep the vayne out of the game for as long as possible.

Note that had you done a lane swap in this situation, it theoretically should have turned out in your favor. You can farm safely relative to the vayne thanks to Infected Bonesaw, and while Nautilus is running Ignite to make turret diving you easy, your Warwick is running Teleport for some reason, which means that it's very easy for him to come teleport to the tower and set up a devastating countergank.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 2, 2015 8:10pm | Report

Runes: Hyb Pen, Health, MR, Armor
Masteries: 0-9-21

Summary:

Fiora wanted Top. I told her to go Vayne against Dr. Mundo. She went Fiora against Dr. Mundo, I told her good luck with that. Xin Zhao ran all the way into their jungle to kill a relatively low health Jarvan IV the rest of us should have had the good sense to let him die, but we didn’t.

Two ranked losses in a row. Time for some normals.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 3, 2015 10:28am | Report
utopus wrote:
I disagree, actually. I think that one lost game doesn't mean that you should unconditionally avoid first picking mundo. Looking at stats alone, you did well and the rest of your team played like tr4sh (heh).

It was bad. After my teammate's oh, about 10th death in laning phase, I had a strong feeling that this game was dunzo. But I did my bit of Teleporting to save towers and getting some kills and a tower and a dragon IIRC after a really annoying lane at the expense of my tower.

utopus wrote:
Also, if your opponent counterpicks you with something really weird and situational like Vayne, that's what I call a spite counterpick. I'd probably just ask for a lane swap, and REALLY keep the vayne out of the game for as long as possible.

I thought about a lane swap, but I didn't ask for it for three reasons...one of which probably isn't a good idea for a ranked game but...ideas...XD

1) I wanted to see how I would do against a markswoman like Vayne or Quinn
2) I don't know the Dr. Mundo vs. Yasuo match-up besides he can block your cleavers with Wind Wall
3) I couldn't remember if Talon was good in the Yasuo match-up so I figured I would let that play out

As it turns out with respect to #3, I believe it is a skill match-up and our Talon was having connection problems so....

utopus wrote:
Note that had you done a lane swap in this situation, it theoretically should have turned out in your favor. You can farm safely relative to the vayne thanks to Infected Cleaver, and while Nautilus is running Ignite to make turret diving you easy, your Warwick is running Teleport for some reason, which means that it's very easy for him to come teleport to the tower and set up a devastating countergank.

Yeah, I don't know why Warwick took Teleport. I asked them about it champion select and they switched for 2 seconds to Flash and then switched back to Teleport. The inscrutable formerly Gold players toiling away in Silver..whadya do?

In retrospect I probably should have asked for a lane swap as Talon would probably do better against a Vayne than I did barring connection issues. And I could have just built armor to survive Yasuo's all in and kept him in check, plus been closer to our touched Bot lane to try and help them out.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 4, 2015 8:20pm | Report

Runes: Atk Dmg, Arm, MR, Atk Dmg
Masteries:21-9-0

Summary:

Tough one. Made more tough by our team just not being smart. We had multiple fights were Sivir was farming a side lane and the rest of our team start a fight. Then there was arguing and sniping about that. How about we don’t start a fight if everyone on our team isn’t there? How about that?

Late game the thing that cemented our loss was Sivir and Thresh trying to chase down picks, getting caught, and dying multiple times.

Kindred is disgusting. With all the armor and other things I had she could chunk me for 90% of my health with about 5 autos. I literally couldn’t get anywhere near her without dying unless her attention was focused elsewhere. Kind of sucks to be build like a tank a feel like that does nothing.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 4, 2015 9:33pm | Report

Runes: Hyb Pen, Health, MR, Arm

Summary:

Kind of at a loss both literally and figuratively at the moment. I would take a game where we were only down three kills by the end of laning phase, this 7+ stuff needs to stop.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2015 10:17pm | Report

Runes: Hyb Pen, Health, MR, Arm

Summary:

:( Like WTF. Their carries were so far ahead by the time we started team fighting that I couldn’t even survive for very long.

I didn’t play the lane as well as I could have against Fiora, but damn I wan’t behind when we left laning phase. Teleport ganked bot and got a slow on Tristana and Blitz completely wiffs his hook. smh
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2015 11:11pm | Report

Runes: Atk Dmg, sArm, CDR, Atk Dmg
Masteries: 21-9-0

Summary:

And yeah, I may put ranked down for a while. I was actually trying to go somewhere other than Top, but that didn’t work out. Their Cho'Gath was pretty good and kept landing his Rupture early, though I figured him out and started dodging them.

Another game where my team can’t come out of laning phase without giving up an insurmountable amount of deaths.

Maybe I just need to play AFK jungle farmers like Master Yi and carry after I get my items.

I think out of my last 6 games I’ve had a real shot at winning one of them and that is only a maybe.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide