Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Need help with Irelia 1v2 on top lane

Creator: hellbard September 9, 2011 8:37pm
1 2 3
hellbard
<Member>
hellbard's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2011 8:37pm | Report
Hey guys, how r u doing?

Well, my main champ is Irelia.. When I'm 1v1 on top I do very well, but when the enemy team does not have a jungler and I'm forced to face 2 opponents I feel pretty insecure... The biggest problem for me is last hitting minions when the opponents are pretty agressive... In exeample, in my last game I've faced Kassadin and Akali on top, both with flash/exhaust, and they zoned me soo hard, they had the lane control almost all the time, cause if Im overextended they can just silence/exhaust and kill me...

So, can someone give me some hints of what to do when facing 2 agressive opponents on solo top?

Thanks, and sorry about the bad english xD
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2011 9:03pm | Report
Irelia isn't my main, but I'll see if I can help you.

The thing about 1v2 top is, the other team won't have jungle control. The longer you hang on in top lane, the more time your jungler gets to feed your team buffs, execute ganks on bot and mid and take dragon. Point being: holding your tower, keeping your gold up and soaking up exp without dying benefits your team a lot.

The main thing to remember is to play PASSIVELY. It's not a big deal if you miss out on last-hitting the first minion wave or two. It's better to let the enemy push you into a safer position than overextend in pursuit of farm. Most games you won't be zoning your enemies or getting any kills by yourself. Help your jungler with a gank if he comes top, but try not to take him out of the jungle to help you or cover your lane if you can help it. Last-hit with Bladesurge, but don't go for harass if you're going to take some damage. Remember that Equilibrium Strike will probably give you a stun most of the time.

Let your enemies push the creeps, but battle them back before they can start hitting your tower. Try to make use of Hiten Style to keep up your health and make sure you time your last-hits perfectly when under the tower. Irelia has pretty nice sustain, so you should be able to keep up your health most of the time, especially after you get your ult. Try to hit the enemy champions when you ult, as the minion health steal was nerfed quite a bit.

Sorry if that advice is too general. I'm not experienced enough with Irelia to be incredibly specific, but I have played a decent amount of solo top with Malphite and Singed. I hope my post is of some use to you.

Anyone else experienced with Irelia feel free to offer your own advice.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 3:44am | Report
There are a few things you need to understand about a 1v2 lane.

1. You'll need sustainability.
- Regrowth Pendant as a starter item is highly recommended.

2. You're screwed on harass.
-Don't even bother trying to exchange any unless it's your ultimate.
-Don't last-hit on the first creep wave (or the lane is pushed in your favour) and focus on leeching exp

3. Your jungler NEEDS to gank regularly.
-Refer to #1, make sure you're always ready for a gank
-If your jungler doesn't gank, you're pretty much at your enemy's mercy.

4. Learn to last-hit under the turret.
-Something a lot of people can't do is last-hit while a minion is in turret range. The turret steals the kill
-Go into COOP or custom, and try to better understand how much a turret will take off a minion's life bar and practice adjusting their health with your own hits to make it easier to last-hit
-Learning to do this will greatly increase your farming success in a 1v2 lane

The only real reason you solo top is because the jungler can't be there with you.
Depending on the enemy, going 1v2 can be very difficult. The jungler needs know it's up to him/her to make the difference. It's the jungler's success that that will make the duo-enemy less aggressive.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Bloofyre
<Member>
Bloofyre's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 4:35am | Report
Alright, I used to main the **** outta irelia as a solo top for my premade teams...

Basically, without me telling you, you need a runepage. I will try to explain how to go about this.

First off, Irelia is REALLY great at holding her lane 1v2 solo top.
Maybe it is your skill order?

To be able to farm well while pushed back to your turret, just minion surf with your Q, so take that at level 1.
Then just start to max out W, it helps you sustain yourself just by right clicking and the true damage is really strong early game (especially when your jungler comes to gank)

Item wise, you really need that Regrowth Pendant and Health Potion it gives you ridiculous amounts of sustain.
Now, runes, you really can run whatever especially since irelia is so strong, but feel free to check out my solo top page.

armor pen reds (self explanatory)
dodge yellows (get in combination with dodge mastery and Nimbleness 0/9/21)
flat MR blues (the most important part about solo top is early game dominance. and per level just wouldnt be good when you need the early game advantage)
flat hp/5 quints (these paired with the regrowth pendant hp pot start, is what you want for every solo top laner just because of how much sustain it provides, literally, you heal the amount flat hp quints would give in just 48 seconds, and i'm sure if things get sketchy you can tower hug and auto attack under your turret to regain life for 48 seconds)

What it really comes down to, is knowing your limits and knowing your champions limits. Now Irelia can 1v2 REALLY well, but the thing is, she isnt godmode until she either gets fed, or starts to build tanky.

Remember to build your Trinity Force out of the gates, and start Phage
The slow and the HP is just too good to pass up for top lane. after that, sheen. on your first trip back you should have enough for your philo stone and boots 1. MAYBE the phage, if you are lucky.

Lastly, remember to hit that R button to clear a minion wave if they are really pushing that hard and your tower is taking dmg.

Many thanks to wRAthoFVuLK for my epic sig

If I helped you at all, +Rep
hellbard
<Member>
hellbard's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 9:48am | Report
Thanks guys, really good tips..

Well, usually I take Boots +3 Health Potion, but I think Regrowth Pendant will work better, and its half way to Philosopher's Stone... Than I usually build Sheen, Heart pf Gold and Mercury's Treads, after that I finish Trinity Force... So, should I take the Phage before Sheen?

The way I usually go with my skill order is : Q > E > E > W > MAX E > MAX Q > MAX W... Leaving Hitten Style for last, but I'm going to try maxing it first for a better sustainability...

Well, thanks a lot for the help u guys gave me!!
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 11:33am | Report
hellbard wrote:

Thanks guys, really good tips..

Well, usually I take Boots +3 Health Potion, but I think Regrowth Pendant will work better, and its half way to Philosopher's Stone... Than I usually build Sheen, Heart pf Gold and Mercury's Treads, after that I finish Trinity Force... So, should I take the Phage before Sheen?

The way I usually go with my skill order is : Q > E > E > W > MAX E > MAX Q > MAX W... Leaving Hitten Style for last, but I'm going to try maxing it first for a better sustainability...

Well, thanks a lot for the help u guys gave me!!

If your solo top I'd imagine Hiten Style ought to be your first priority. More sustainability because it increases the amount it heals you for as you level it. Then you will never ever ever have to leave the lane again.
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 12:17pm | Report
Rud: I still think you should go q on lvl 2,e on lvl 1 and then focus will.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 12:38pm | Report
#1: Dont try to get gold away from the tower. Use Q to hit minions when they are low (with the tower help)

#2: If the enemies are aggresive, you'll kill both when they try to hit the tower. You'll hit and make them stop attacking the tower. If they hit you, it's 2v1 and tower, so you have advantage

#3: If the tower is going down, let it. This is a signal that either the jungler cant do a good work or you and the jungler cant kill them (the latter means that you lost already, so surrender at 20).

You have to practice that, soloing top isnt easy.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 12:45pm | Report
TheJohn wrote:

This is a signal that either the jungler cant do a good work or you and the jungler cant kill them (the latter means that you lost already, so surrender at 20).

*facepalm*
"surrender at 20" is NEVER good general advice. Ever.
Thanks to Fatelblade for the sig!
ZioSerpe
<Member>
ZioSerpe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2011 3:59pm | Report
- hug tower
- Bladesurge safe minions
- sacrifice the tower instead of yourself, if tower falls is not your fault jungler should be aware of your difficulties and help, if the tower fell it means you had not enough help, if you die it means you screwed up

For all you questions about jungling

yes Mr smartypants click on the signature
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide