Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

EU servers are being split up

Creator: Luther3000 June 29, 2011 1:52pm
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:13pm | Report
If other kinds of MMOs can sport humongus amounts of players LoL should be able to handle a joint EU server too..
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:16pm | Report
They aren't splitting the servers themselves, they're actually doubling the servers. This means they could just add all the new servers to the current European server instead of splitting it.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:17pm | Report
Searz wrote:

If other kinds of MMOs can sport humongus amounts of players LoL should be able to handle a joint EU server too..

Exactly! I've played so many games in my life, and I've never, ever, seen regions split in this way. At the very most, games are split EU/NA/Asia. I'm absolutely certain if Riot would put in the time, effort and money it would be possible for them to keep the regions as they are.

Canoas wrote:

They aren't splitting the servers themselves, they're actually doubling the servers. This means they could just add all the new servers to the current European server instead of splitting it.

According to the FAQ page on this change, this would not fix the problems:

'Unfortunately, the issues that we’re running into cannot be solved by simply adding hardware. There are software limitations involved in handling such a massive number of players that only get more difficult to solve as we add more and more hardware to the environment.

For context, this is the reason why most massively multiplayer services shard their playerbase across multiple platforms within a region to keep numbers more manageable and limit reliance on login queues.'

Basically they can't be arsed to sort out the software issue so they do this instead. I'm sure it's much cheaper this way too.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:19pm | Report
While it's probably VERY expensive to keep EU as a joint server, I do believe it's the right choice to make (for them too).
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:21pm | Report
They said it's due to software problems, which is rather stupid. If LoL does keep growing the NA will be split up as well as China (which will have like 4 servers)
orochinagi
<Member>
orochinagi's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:22pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

That said, I've already mentioned that I think this whole thing is stupid and not necessary, so I'd prefer it if things just stayed as they are, except with riot improving their servers. Oro...Oronochi...Oronochigi...Orichignagi....whatever his name is, said it was possible, so it must be :P

LOL @ trying to type my nick :)

and it all depends, depends mainly on how they built their server side application. That has lots of weight in the equation.

Login servers and authentication could always be a choking point but I don't see them having that much of a problem regarding database access...

Anyway, i'd say it's prolly due to bad planning and poor scaling on how their application works. Thinks have to be planned for growth... and i'm guessing Europe has hit the growth roof (cause they didn't do proper planning for growth).

And I just... remembered... wtf luther @ forum? omg!
76. GLHF is code for "We are going to rape you". Not returning the favor is giving consent.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:25pm | Report
Sorry if it's already been posted, but:
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:26pm | Report
I've studied economics and business; and technically they may be representing themselves at a loss.

Taking into account the amount of players raging, and threatening to quit, on top of that the EU scene will be deemed as less competitive... etc. Many will just simply leave the game in general. If a business makes a marketing decision of supplying a better a service but at a risk of losing customers, then whats the point? They're obviously not going to meet their business objectives are maximising profits etc. Generally this could cause a massive problem at worse case scenario of around 20% or more leaving the LoL community as a whole, this will cause less profits being made, and that 20% of deduction in profit could of gone towards that new software, furthermore with DotA 2 coming out soon, many would quit for that anyway, and now with this going off, its no suprise that even more would flee to DotA 2, leaving the LoL community even WORSER off...

I mean in business I learnt one thing, the customer is always right, and trying to retain and also attain customers is very important, but what Riot are doing now is totally the opposite. They've ignored the customer, they've not bothered retaining them and also have no produced a scheme whereby people who may want to play won't play.

TL;DR Riot are dumb.

EDIT: lol image above.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:26pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

They said it's due to software problems, which is rather stupid. If LoL does keep growing the NA will be split up as well as China (which will have like 4 servers)

Exactly my thoughts.
"Doing something, almost being done, then parents come in and don't let you finish.
Yes, I had a rough childhood." - devdevil
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 29, 2011 5:32pm | Report
@jhoijhoi,

Made me lol, I love it. :P

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide