Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Guide Voting - Only Voting 'cause he's a...

Creator: Extise December 13, 2012 10:41am
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 12:04pm | Report
So what you're saying is. Because some vets guide is highly rated and at the same time bad it's a popularity contest, when most of the time, the vet guides are actually the best.

Let me quote you:

Yeah but the thing is that when at a Champ ( Example Riven ) the Guide is written by a Vet/Scout/Mod it got only at the Top 'cause he's a Scout.

The top rated guide is the 2nd best guide on the whole of mobafire. Only guide which is actually better is the number 4 guide which is written by a Vet. I put this as an invalidator of your argument, just because your argument is contradicting itself.

summary:
>Top only because scout
>Guide is actually one of the best guides on mobafire
Pick one god dammit.
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Extise
<Member>
Extise's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 12:14pm | Report
Extise wrote:

I do not understand you. But I'll try to answer. Riven Guide And no it's not here at the top ten : Top Ten I don't even say that this Guide is one of the best Guides on Mobafire 'cause it isn't , you said that ... You are so confusing...

Thanks to TinyStar for the awesome Sig
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 12:23pm | Report
what is your purpose of quoting yourself and then adding something new?

Please do show me 1 riven guide that is from a "non-official" which is better than the current nr. 1 rated riven guide.

PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 12:58pm | Report
I think part of it is that the members who have been around for a while (Scouts, Vets and Mods) get a pretty good sense of their capabilities as well as what a good guide looks like. The ones that actually have the know-how and the motivation to write guides will generally write good ones. Then you'll usually see a lot of other vets and scouts that are friends on the author swing by to give the first round of criticism, which means these guides get a lot of feedback quickly and can improve right away.

I don't think there's a problem where voters just see a scout/vet/mod tag and upvote. I think it's that scouts/vets/mods tend to write better guides because they have more experience with what voters like to see as well as access to some of the more reliable sources of criticism.

And yes, some of these members became prominent after they wrote a top-rated guide. I wasn't even very active on the forums before I wrote my Alistar guide, which rose to the top of the list pretty quickly (though looking back on it, it was actually pretty bad :P). I had I believe 3 top guides before I was promoted to veteran (this was before the editor/scout system). Prominent guide authors tend to become more invested in the site, and thus earn Rep, get more attention, post more often and more helpfully and get promoted.

You're right that quality guides and prominent forum members are connected, but I don't think that popularity on the forums is what's netting all these votes. There are problems with the voting system, but to be honest, I don't think this is one of them.
Thanks to Minho for the sig!
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 1:10pm | Report
Extise wrote:

You say on yourself that they got voted 'cause they are popular so it's largely true. I think I have no rights to create a better system ;). I also think that many guides of Vets are good and some of them maybe should get to the top but not so many , or even everyone.

No, I said it was the case "sometimes".
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 1:48pm | Report
I started off with my Ashe guide, and the first... 20 votes were from a mix of new members and old. I even got downvoted by a few prominent members at the time.

Then I wrote another guide, and another... and then my Making a Guide Guide. I also created the first review shop, reviewed hundreds of guides... made a signature store, made hundreds of signatures.

Eventually I got promoted to vet.

Like Matt said, most vets are vets due to their guides, or helpful contributions to MobaFire. Off the top of my head, Tosh, Wayne and Jeffy are prime examples of vets who don't have guides but gain +rep in other ways.

Vets are no different to regular users when voting. If I make a guide, my friends will vote on it; that may include Psi, Wayne, Wrath etc. If you make a guide, your friends will vote on it; Tom, ****, Harry etc.

tldr; friends will upvote friends. Vets over time become friends with each other, just the way colleagues would at work. And even if you aren't a friend with a certain person, you can still upvote their guide/give some constructive criticism because you care about the site and want to improve the quality of guides on MobaFire, and you KNOW that a vet needs to have a decent guide, otherwise the vet name would be slammed 8D
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 2:37pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

seriously who came up with the idea that richard should be sortened into ****?

astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 2:57pm | Report
Buncha lazy Anglos who couldn't figure out Magical Viking Language.
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
CrimsonSkyz
<Member>
CrimsonSkyz's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 3:23pm | Report
astrolia wrote:

Buncha lazy Anglos who couldn't figure out Magical Viking Language.

^lol

Well anyways it's just like what everyone said. Vets are vets because they write excellent quality guides. Sure there are some votes based on popularity but a good guide is still a good guide. I highly doubt that 250+, 500+, or 1000+ votes are solely based on the popularity/status of the writer and not on the quality of the guide.
Death Has Arrived
Currently on vacation~
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2012 3:24pm | Report
Because most of the Vets on this site are people with good knowledge about the game, or the champion they are playing.

They are also well known by the community, and therefore more people are willing to vote on his/her guide.

If a vet writes a bad guide, other vets actually downvote and/or point out what's wrong with it.

Good guide + a lot of exposure = high ratings.

Bad guide + a lot of exposure = medium-low ratings.

Good or bad guide + no exposure = no ratings.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide