Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New to LoL, trying to move over from DotA

Creator: WearyWanderer November 16, 2015 8:19pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
TheSofa
<Member>
TheSofa's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 7:19pm | Report
Ah, but this begs the question: If I run a 1-1-2 + 1 (which people sometimes to in DotA,) isn't it a good idea for you (as my opponent) to run something like a 3-1-1 to utterly shut down my solo-side laner?

That way, I'll have 2 people with solo exp (mid and jungle), 2 people sharing (bot) and one person getting nothing as opposed to your 2 people with solo exp (mid and bot) and a carry getting all the farm he wants? (because no contest from my top laner)

Does this mean that LoL values XP over gold?

Cheers!
TheSofa
JakeParkbench
<Member>
JakeParkbench's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 7:49pm | Report
Levels are highly valued in LoL, but also you spend 3 to shut down 1 the others can gain more, also if you send 3 top you can simply match 3 bot and trade equal. A small note towers start with high AA resist so rushing it also isnt as effective.
TheSofa
<Member>
TheSofa's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 8:33pm | Report
That makes sense.

But what if you draft a really hard carry that benefits from the free farm more than the carry on my team?

Jani, help me on this one. I'm trying to compare something along the lines of perhaps a def. tri with Spec?
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 8:47pm | Report
While some carries in League do scale better with gold, all carries are still pretty close in scaling. If you have a Vayne (really strong late game with items) in the trilane getting free farm and a Miss Fortune (more of a mid-game team fighter) in the opposite lane getting free farm, the Miss Fortune is still going to be way higher level and will be strong for a long time.

Also if you actually sent 3 people top to shut down the top laner, they would most likely swap to the bottom side to push down the bottom tower or just farm the jungle along with the jungler.

In competitive play, lane swaps (one team sets up 2-1-1 with a jungler while the other team has the normal 1-1-2 with a jungler) occur sometimes to avoid bad matchups or simply to take towers more quickly. Keep in mind that committing resources to the top lane means you have no control over the dragon near the bottom lane, which is generally valued more than the rift herald near the top.

If you're playing below level 30 and you communicate with your teammates you can probably get away with some weird setups but it's hard to pull off when you play against good players. Dragon control, experience gain and gold distribution are at their highest in the 1-1-2 with jungler setup.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
masaaki14
<Member>
masaaki14's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 9:27pm | Report
With the new update and the addition of the rift scuttler, is is feasable for teams to have a 2-1-1 + 1 to get an early rift compared to the dragon control?

Btw, greetings from dotofire jani and sofa, therein lies another junkie from the dark lands
Singapore Server, Playing on Garena kek.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 9:44pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
Keep in mind that committing resources to the top lane means you have no control over the dragon near the bottom lane, which is generally valued more than the rift herald near the top.
Rift herald is also too new to know the extent of his impact. Before him bottom side was way more important for the first 10-15 minutes of the game. He might make duo top more common, since he has better synergy with an adc+tank support duo than with a jungler+top laner duo. Or he might just be a band-aid for top laners without map presence and the meta won't shift.

I really hope some korean teams try all sorts of weird comps so that the meta gets ****ed up for some weeks/months. The game has been twice as fun since most people don't understand the full extent of all the changes happening. It seems like a good preseason to start playing the game.
masaaki14
<Member>
masaaki14's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 9:47pm | Report
What i do know is that Hybrid Master Yi jg is insanely strong, with guinsoo. The amount of damage you put out is unreal, even compared to a full ad Yi
Singapore Server, Playing on Garena kek.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 5:52am | Report
TheSofa wrote:
That makes sense.

But what if you draft a really hard carry that benefits from the free farm more than the carry on my team?

Jani, help me on this one. I'm trying to compare something along the lines of perhaps a def. tri with Spec?

Difference is that DotA 2 has many items that have pretty overpowered auras/passives/actives while in lol the effects are usually mild (unless it has downsides to it).

And running three people means that you'll get 1/3 of the lane XP which against one enemy will quite likely result in 3 or 4 levels of being behind. When the enemy hits 6, it's when jungler also hits 6 (+- 2-3 minutes). Then the trilane is around 3 and 4 levels, which means no ults and only weak abilities. Jungler can gank and ult with the sololaner and get easy kills and reduce your advantage in gold.

Then there is someone like Spectre, who is nothing like the hypercarries in LoL. GLOBAL presence, Radiance deals huge AoE, reduced damage taken and % of that damage dealt to nearby enemies and TRUE damage against targets that are alone. These are the factors that make it more worth imo.
Vengenator
<Fabulous>
Vengenator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 6:28am | Report
If you're just starting out with the game there's no need to stress with the higher level strategies, I'd probably try to get used to the different ability scalings and mechanics.

Originally, 1-1-2+1 was designed around dragon, which spawned super early. There's another epic monster, Baron Nashor, which spawns much later in the game. Thus we have 1-1-2+1 to contest early dragons, which provides a lot of advantage for your whole team.

Since with the addition of the new Rift Herald, I can see the lane setups changing, so the lane setups we discuss here may not be the most optimal, or become meta.
Spare a few Rep+ for the poor ( つ◕◡◕)つ

Check out my Brand guide linked in my signature
Also check out my Malzahar Guide,Consumed by the Void
TheSofa
<Member>
TheSofa's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 7:44am | Report
Thanks everyone!

I guess I can't really compare everything to DotA. These games are actually a lot more different than I originally thought.

Which leads to more questions.

1) What are Summoner Spells? Are they like active spells that you get outside of the game than can be used in game?

1.5) What Summoner Spells are there? From what I've seen, there's Smite, Flash, Ignite and Exhaust, but I'm certain there's more

2) What are runes/masteries and glyphs and stuff?

2.5) What do the numbers mean what someone goes 0-9-21? (for masteries)

3) What are some good champs for me to play when I begin?

Thanks y'all!
TheSofa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide