Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New to LoL, trying to move over from DotA

Creator: WearyWanderer November 16, 2015 8:19pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 7:59am | Report
1) Summoner Spells are spells that you can choose for your game

1.5) The ones you'll probably need:

Ignite and Flash - Mids and some tops and most supports
Smite and Flash - Jungler
Heal and Flash - ADCs
Barrier/ Cleanse and Flash - some mids
Exhaust and Flash - some supports and against some certain champions

2) Runes are purchasable stats. This is the easiest way to say it. You only want to get tier 3 ones (you can only get them at level 20 and after) since tier 2 and 1 are garbage. I can give you some advice once you are closer to achieving them.

Masteries are like perks. Once you level up, you get one mastery point up to 30 total mastery points and you can use them to increase your damage, survivability or utility.

2.5) In the previous season that would've meant that someone put 0 points in offensive tree, 9 points in the defensive tree and 21 points in the utility tree. Nowadays you usually have 18 in one and 12 in another one.

3) Just play what is on the rotation. Learn as many as possible and try them out, so you'll do better against them and you know what kind of champs you want.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 9:08am | Report
2) When starting a game, you should pick a champion, two summoner spells, one rune page and one mastery page.

Runes are things you can buy and put in different rune pages to get stat boosts (+AD, +AP, +HP, etc). Rune pages are bought and you start with only two (if you ever want to buy one wait for a 2x1 in rune pages), and you unlock one rune slot per level, up to a maximum of 30. There are different tiers (1/2/3) and differend kinds (marks/seals/glyphs/quintessences) of runes. To start I recommend you wait until level 20 to buy tier 3 runes and only buy the ones at 50% discount. Riot made a permanent discount on "basic" runes, which are some of the most used anyways so you won't be losing too much on optimisation.

Masteries are akin to rune pages, but they give some specific effects (e.g. +12 movespeed in bushes/river) and only minor or situational stats. You can have up to 20 mastery pages since they're free and you get one point per level, again up to 30. You can also change your mastery pages in champ select so having all 20 pages done is not necessary.

2.5) The numbers are the number of points put in each of the three mastery trees. I did a blog about some of that stuff. It might need polishing, but it sorta explains how mastery pages work.

3) Garen top, Caitlyn bot adc, Blitzcrank/ Morgana bot support, Annie mid and Warwick/ Xin Zhao once you want to try the jungle. Those are all cheap, except for blitz, who is still cheap-ish, and have low skill floors. That said, you should probably see what's your playstyle and try whoever you like from the free rotation.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 1:32pm | Report
Janitsu wrote:
You only want to get tier 3 ones (you can only get them at level 20 and after) since tier 2 and 1 are garbage.

Tier 1 runes are not garbage, they cost almost nothing and still give SOME stats while you're leveling to 20. You can do without them though.

Also don't forget Teleport + Flash, it's still good on a number of top laners.
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 1:49pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

Tier 1 runes are not garbage, they cost almost nothing and still give SOME stats while you're leveling to 20. You can do without them though.

Also don't forget Teleport + Flash, it's still good on a number of top laners.

Well I'd recommend in any case to save all that precious IP for level 30 - forgot about the change though. They are very cheap atm.

And forgot that combo, thanks Psi :p!
TheSofa
<Member>
TheSofa's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 4:55pm | Report
Hey all,

First of all, thanks to all of you for commenting, I've learned a lot already!

One final question:

Are there any Champs that are similar to some DotA heroes that I could be familiar with?

For example, I heard Ashe and Drow Ranger to be quite similar.

Thanks!
TheSofa
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 5:47pm | Report
Mostly there are certain mechanics that a DotA hero and League champion share, but not many are super similar to be honest.

Blitzcrank has a hook like Pudge which only hits enemies.

Nocturne is a bit like Spectre but can't path through terrain and his ult ( Paranoia) is a long range dash (with vision denial) instead of the global ghost-swap thing.

Caitlyn is similar to Sniper. No ministun though

Ekko has a similar ult to Weaver but he's a melee assassin mage kinda character instead of a ranged DPS.

Rammus is sorta like Bristleback in that he's really tanky and reflects damage instead of just beating people to death.

Heimerdinger is like Tinker. He builds little turrets and stuff.

Tahm Kench can carry an ally a long distance with his ultimate which is a bit like Io but without the return trip.

Warwick has some of the same strengths as Bloodseeker.

Jax is a little bit like Faceless in that he deals a ton of DPS late game and dodges attacks, but without the crazy ultimate.

Evelynn and Shaco have similar playstyles to Riki. I suppose Shaco might be closer to Bounty Hunter in some ways.

Corki and Gyrocopter clearly had similar design influences. Corki doesn't have a stun though.

Cassiopeia is a snake lady with an ult like Medusa's.

I don't know the tanks in DotA too well so you should probably just look at different champion abilities to find similarities to any tanks you like from DotA. Remember to play the freeweek champions to get a sense of how their abilities work together and what their power curve is.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
TheSofa
<Member>
TheSofa's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 6:14pm | Report
Thanks so much Psi :)

I've been looking through the champs and stuff, and I've identified some champs that I'd like to play (I tried to pick from the cheap ones :D). What do you think?

1. Annie for Support/APmid
2. Soraka for support
3. Nocturne for jungle

Are those ok?
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 6:58pm | Report
All 3 of those are either strong picks or viable at least. They all have very different playstyles though, so you can't do the exact same thing with each champ (but you probably already knew that). Annie is definitely the easiest to pick up and master.

Also, you may have figured this out already but the 21/9 mastery distribution is now out of date. Generally the best way to do it now is put the maximum of 18 points in a tree to get the Keystone mastery at the bottom, then putting either 12 points in one of the other trees or 6 points in each of the other two trees.

Thus, you'd end up with an 18/12 setup or a 6/6/18 setup, or something like that.

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 7:35pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
Mostly there are certain mechanics that a DotA hero and League champion share, but not many are super similar to be honest.

Blitzcrank has a hook like Pudge which only hits enemies.

Nocturne is a bit like Spectre but can't path through terrain and his ult ( Paranoia) is a long range dash (with vision denial) instead of the global ghost-swap thing.

Caitlyn is similar to Sniper. No ministun though

Ekko has a similar ult to Weaver but he's a melee assassin mage kinda character instead of a ranged DPS.

Rammus is sorta like Bristleback in that he's really tanky and reflects damage instead of just beating people to death.

Heimerdinger is like Tinker. He builds little turrets and stuff.

Tahm Kench can carry an ally a long distance with his ultimate which is a bit like Io but without the return trip.

Warwick has some of the same strengths as Bloodseeker.

Jax is a little bit like Faceless in that he deals a ton of DPS late game and dodges attacks, but without the crazy ultimate.

Evelynn and Shaco have similar playstyles to Riki. I suppose Shaco might be closer to Bounty Hunter in some ways.

Corki and Gyrocopter clearly had similar design influences. Corki doesn't have a stun though.

Cassiopeia is a snake lady with an ult like Medusa's.

I don't know the tanks in DotA too well so you should probably just look at different champion abilities to find similarities to any tanks you like from DotA. Remember to play the freeweek champions to get a sense of how their abilities work together and what their power curve is.

It just crossed my mind that Brand is like Slayer... But without the Laguna Blade.
Sig made by me!
TheSofa
<Member>
TheSofa's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2015 8:02pm | Report
Lina without Laguna?

Well...

That's not really Lina :)

Thanks Sir Wellington for the info about the masteries.

Just one questions: The masteries things get better the more points you spend on one side, right?

So getting a jack-of-all-trades is not as good?

Thanks,
TheSofa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide