Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New to LoL, trying to move over from DotA

Creator: WearyWanderer November 16, 2015 8:19pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 28, 2015 8:34am | Report
TheSofa wrote:
Just a random question... which summoner spells do I get? Like, flash on everyone, but is it like exhaust for supports, heal for carries, or something like that?

It's always situational, but the typical meta is to have Flash on everyone, Exhaust on support, Heal on ad carry, Ignite or Heal on mid, Ignite or Teleport on top, and Smite on the jungler. We've had some discussions here about how in this season it might be better for the support to get Heal and the ad carry to get Exhaust, but that idea hasn't trickled into the mainstream yet.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 28, 2015 9:15am | Report
MungoGeri wrote:

It's always situational, but the typical meta is to have Flash on everyone, Exhaust on support, Heal on ad carry, Ignite or Heal on mid, Ignite or Teleport on top, and Smite on the jungler. We've had some discussions here about how in this season it might be better for the support to get Heal and the ad carry to get Exhaust, but that idea hasn't trickled into the mainstream yet.

Flash on MOST people (some people take Ghost on people like Olaf)

Exhaust or Ignite on support. Exhaust on Soraka and if enemies have many assassins that can dive the backline. Ignite is usually otherwise better for dominating and decreasing healing.

Ignite, Heal, Barrier, Cleanse, Ghost or Teleport on mid depending on the picks.

The Heal/ Ignite or Exhaust idea of botlane is still pretty much in testing. Heal gives effective health and movement speed, which is usually better for the ADC to decide when to use and Exhaust is better to have on supports, since they are the ones that set up kills and defend people. ADC might use it too selfishly.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 28, 2015 1:10pm | Report
I'm trying to keep it simple for a new player. As I said, what you take is situational, but what I said above will get you through 90% of situations, and when he gets more familiar with the game, he can learn about more of the exceptions.

Regarding whether it's the support or adc who takes Exhaust or Heal, what you said was true of past seasons. However, there are two important changes that might tip the balance in the opposite direction. First, if you are playing a utility mage support who gets the 3rd tier mastery in the cunning tree that gives an extra 10% extra strength to heals and gives a bonus to other people's resistances, then you might want to be the one to take Heal so that it gets empowered by that mastery. Second, Grievous Wounds now only affects self-healing. So, if your adc gets ignited, having Heal on the support will ensure that it heals for the full effect.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 28, 2015 1:25pm | Report
MungoGeri wrote:
I'm trying to keep it simple for a new player. As I said, what you take is situational, but what I said above will get you through 90% of situations, and when he gets more familiar with the game, he can learn about more of the exceptions.

Regarding whether it's the support or adc who takes Exhaust or Heal, what you said was true of past seasons. However, there are two important changes that might tip the balance in the opposite direction. First, if you are playing a utility mage support that gets the 3rd tier mastery in the cunning tree that gives an extra 10% extra strength to heals and gives a bonus to other people's resistances, then you might want to be the one to take Heal so that it gets empowered by that mastery. Second, Grievous Wounds now only affects self-healing. So, if your adc gets ignited, having Heal on the support will ensure that it heals for the full effect.

Well Ignite is still the go-to summoner spell on supports and mids are more likely to take either Barrier or Ignite rather than Heal and the latter, since you waste half of Heal's power on a solo lane. I'd like to also mention that giving them many options that they can try out when they are new will allow them to test them and decide what they like before they go to rankeds or so on.

Also about the botlane summoner spell rotation - I know these facts. It's just that most supports who are mage-like will pick Thunderlord's Decree and tankier ones will pick Bond of Stone . Only one who picks the heal-increasing mastery is Soraka imo. Also 10% for the Heal isn't really THAT game changing. And I know how the grievous wounds works. But if they ignite you and kill you first, you are at the same point that you were in previous seasons. It could also mean that bot lane summoner spells will go to Exhaust - Heal combo, since those can't be countered by the new changes and are actually better in the late game.

I'm sorry if I was rude but I like to lay the options out there for them to try out. I didn't really try out other summoner spells than Ignite on mid lane for a long time, which caused me to be biased and inexperienced. I think this way the new player will get much more experience on how to play and how to play against different summoner spell combos.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 28, 2015 1:40pm | Report
No problem, Janitsu. However, I imagine that Janna, Nami, and Soraka will all take the healing mastery. Regarding whether supports take Ignite or Exhaust, I see most supports of all types taking Exhaust in order to shut down the opposing adc during all-in trades and also to short-circuit assassins late game. I do often (but not always) take Ignite when I play an offensive oriented support like Zyra, but when I do, I often get a lot of complaints about being selfish as a support for doing so. I'm not saying that Ignite is worthless on a support, but my experience has been that Exhaust is the most common choice on supports with Ignite coming in second and Heal a distant third.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 28, 2015 1:52pm | Report
MungoGeri wrote:
No problem, Janitsu. However, I imagine that Janna, Nami, and Soraka will all take the healing mastery. Regarding whether supports take Ignite or Exhaust, I see most supports of all types taking Exhaust in order to shut down the opposing adc during all-in trades and also to short-circuit assassins late game. I do often (but not always) take Ignite when I play an offensive oriented support like Zyra, but when I do, I often get a lot of complaints about being selfish as a support for doing so. I'm not saying that Ignite is worthless on a support, but my experience has been that Exhaust is the most common choice on supports with Ignite coming in second and Heal a distant third.

Well Janna and Soraka will quite likely take it, but I think Nami has potential with Thunderlord's Decree , so I'd so more of a personal preference thing at least right now :p

Ignite has been (at least in my games at high plat-mid diamond) the most used summoner spell on supports since you can shutdown ADC's Heal and it deals quite a bit damage so you can oppress lane. Exhaust on the other hand can be pretty avoidable while Ignite is a bit trickier. But I think this is enough derailing for today :^)
TheSofa
<Member>
TheSofa's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 30, 2015 6:24pm | Report
Hi all,

Thanks all for the info on Masteries and Summoner's Spells.

One more question: I think I'll have some money left over when I have enough for a rune set and hit level 20, so I kinda want another champ.

I asked people who the most cancerous champs in the game, so I've narrowed it down a bit....

I have Annie and Teemo.

Apparently Riven is good, and so is Singed

Which is good? If neither, which is a good in-between champ (now that I'm a little bit used to LoL, I can probs play the more advanced champs, considering I've played DotA for the longest time.)

Cheers!
TheSofa
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 30, 2015 7:36pm | Report
Riven is very good. You need to know how to interrupt her animations to play her well, but since you played dota before, that shouldn't be a new concept. Singed is funny and fun but is kind of a niche pick. If you're looking to win, he's not the best to play. If you're looking for fun, he's awesome.
masaaki14
<Member>
masaaki14's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 30, 2015 8:23pm | Report
I haven't tried riven yet, going to play her this week since she's on free rotation. So far from the videos i've seen, it looks like animation cancelling is essential to maximise her damage output. It shouldn't be hard to do, since we learnt how to cancel backswings of spells and auto-attacks in Dota, but I reckon it will take some time to get used to league timing, since it is a little more blocky than dota
Singapore Server, Playing on Garena kek.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2015 3:03am | Report
TheSofa wrote:
I asked people who the most cancerous champs in the game
Seeing you got Teemo you can either go the "toxic tryhard" way ( Riven, LeBlanc, Zed, Vayne, Lee Sin) or the "annoying af" way ( Singed, Bard, Tahm Kench, Malzahar, Garen, Darius).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide