Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Any word or ideas for the new Veteran voting...

Creator: Toshabi December 7, 2011 5:37pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 6:00am | Report
Bryun: I'm pretty sure it's because low elo players cannot ever hope to build like a high elo player and get away with it. Which is why an Ashe at summoner level 1 can buy 2xInfinity Edges, Trinity Force, Black Cleaver and Last Whisper and still carry, but an Ashe at >1500 elo would not be caught dead with that build.

Also, people come to MobaFire for the guides, not the builds.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 6:06am | Report
TheJohn wrote:
lol? 1600 ELO shouldnt be recognized? So now you think only the best players should be around here, and the rest doesnt deserve respect? Arent we all players? If you really think so, tell me and I'm moving.

And that rec system should be like this:
  • You cant recommend a 20% guide rating, so the guide should have at least 60% rating
  • Vets can only rec one guide for each champion, so if you want to rec another one, your last vote will be deleted and the other will get it
  • All vets should agree with the rec, so you cant go there and rec any guide you want

lol, she said 1600 ELO players shouldn't get their own category because the Pros used to have one too and it wasn't a success. People generally found that the Pro guides lacked proper information and the Pros eventually quit Mobafire because of the amount of criticism they received.
She isn't saying everyone lower than 1600 doesn't deserve any respect o.O
Besides, that would include her, lol :P

• There can be multiple good guides for the same champion, I don't see why there's a problem with reccing multiple guides about the same champion
  • All vets? You realise a lot of vets are inactive, right? And even if they weren't, there's always going to be at least 1 vet who disagrees.
    There should be a specific number of vets that agree, but definitely not all

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 6:22am | Report
Personally, the reason favoritism might be prevalent in my old recs is because I don't have enough time to sift through young, budding builds to find the real gems. Usually the only time I look at a new build is if it's someone I recognize.

I feel like a really good way to get rid of favoritism would be a way to give some real visibility to newer guides that look like they have promise. I was thinking that a forum section where users could nominate guides might help, but imo that would cause many problems.

If you guys could come up with a system to really have those guides get exposed to the veterans, they might have a better chance of being recc'ed without bias.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 6:22am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

lol, she said 1600 ELO players shouldn't get their own category because the Pros used to have one too and it wasn't a success. People generally found that the Pro guides lacked proper information and the Pros eventually quit Mobafire because of the amount of criticism they received.
She isn't saying everyone lower than 1600 doesn't deserve any respect o.O
Besides, that would include her, lol :P

• There can be multiple good guides for the same champion, I don't see why there's a problem with reccing multiple guides about the same champion
  • All vets? You realise a lot of vets are inactive, right? And even if they weren't, there's always going to be at least 1 vet who disagrees.
    There should be a specific number of vets that agree, but definitely not all

So she should rewrite that, because what you said makes sense, but thats not clear, I didnt understand that in the first time.
If you let many guides be recommended, but wouldnt try hard to get that vote.
So lets remove those inactive vets. And OK, everyone can be difficult. Most of them is better.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 9:36am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Yup, let's all give citizens guns too and the rights to fire at other civilians.

The differences between vets and "regular" people:

- Vets can rec guides
- Vets can edit the database

Difference between vets and mods:

- Mods can delete comments
- Mods can archive guides
- Mods can remove threads

Should we also make everyone a mod?

Better yet, should everyone become an admin?

Matt, I've solved the problem. People who aren't vets want to be vets so they can rec guides. I say we just promote everyone to admin, so we are all equal.

That was sort of an immature response. I think you took what Jeffy was saying WAAAAY out of proportion. He was referring to the fact that there are a lot of strong guides out there made by the community that honest to god want to do nothing more then help out the community. Going off of what you were saying earlier about "Making guides to help the community and not caring if they're ranked as #1", i.e, your passion to want to help out the MOBAfire community through your knowledge of the game, got you the veteran status that you have today, then by /that/ logic, shouldn't a lot more people have veteran status then?

I know that the answer to this is simple; no, because then the veteran status wouldn't be as significant and there would almost be no meaning to having veteran recs if so many vets were flying around. Though he does raise a good point against your point of view in your previous post. Just sheesh, you sort of took things a little to the extreme/sarcastic/cynical side there. I like that.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 9:55am | Report
^ Tosh, the point she was trying to make is that vet guides shouldn't be separated from the rest of the guides because vets are just as much a part of the community as the rest of us and I don't think jhoijhoi (and probably most of the other vets, for that matter) feel like they're better than the rest of the community and deserve some sort of separate section for their guides.

Vets are vets because of their dedication and their dedication is already rewarded with their vet status. Making a 'Veteran Guides' section (like the one the Pros used to have) is just a bit too much.

Jeffy was actually the only who completely missed her point by saying 'well then everyone should be a vet', because the discussion about whether or not more people deserve to be a vet because they're helping the community is a different one than the discussion they were having at that point.

Having said that I agree that she took it a little to the extreme :P

also lol at your last sentence, didn't see that one coming.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 9:58am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

This would remove that bias you were talking about, as each rec would be aye'd or nay'd with reasons as to why or why not.

I really don't anticipate that it would.

If none of the vets are fond of a person, there's a strong chance their guide will never be Rec'd at all.

This in my eyes just promotes more *** kissing.

jhoijhoi wrote:

Another suggestion by Jun was that a guide should be rec'd once the community had "favourited" the guide past a certain amount, as people are more likely to favourite a guide they really like.

This is potentially a good proposition, but at that point why not just leave it at regular voting? The community is already expressing their opinion with their vote.

jhoijhoi wrote:

What most of the vets seem to agree for at the moment is for recs to be "remade" to ensure all of the community understand that the rec is for the guide itself, not the build.

I would comment on how I feel more focus should be put on the build than the text which explains it, but this really becomes nothing more than personal opinion.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 10:05am | Report
DuffTime wrote:

I really don't anticipate that it would.

If none of the vets are fond of a person, there's a strong chance their guide will never be Rec'd at all.

This in my eyes just promotes more *** kissing

What happens right now (at least, that's what I see sometimes) is 1 veteran recommending a guide because that specific veteran likes the author of the guide (having said that I don't really see bad guides being recommended, by the way).
Wouldn't having multiple vets vote over recommending or not recommending a guide solve that because not all vets are friends/bros with one specific author?

I'm also not sure whether all vets would 'nay' a possible recommendation over not being fond of a member, but that might happen. Not sure :|

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 11:09am | Report
This "rec because hes my friend" is so gay.

I'd not rec Duff's guide if it's not that good, if it needs improvements
I'd rec Toshabi's guide if things are well explained, easy to understand, even if I think hes an *******
I'd not rec Jun's guide just because he's a vet
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 11:11am | Report
Could just split the voting system into 2 pieces. Builds and guides.

They are apart of the same whole but if people like the build and the guide is lacking then the thing overall receives SOME positives rather than simply receiving a down vote because 1/2 of the piece is un-liked.

And vice versa.

Granted this creates some problems, but at the very least a guide might retain more positive remarks if people could choose to support the build or the guide or both.

As for vet recs. Requiring a vet who likes a guide to write say 100 or so words on why they liked it and have those remarks posted at the top of the build automatically might deter recommendations based of bias and force them to actually look deeply into the guide (unless that system is in place and I've never seen it)....

Add a system to up/down votes that can be anonymous but require a person to select WHY they did or did not like the guide from a broad list of choices. Of course include other so that a full on comment can be left.

As for missing the point in jhoi's earlier comment, that was essentially the point of my statement. I was attempting to make the point that if all that mattered to her was helping people then separating her guide from the "regs" shouldn't matter. It doesn't stop a well liked guide from being liked, nor does it hinder access to the guide.

But it makes no difference, my opinions matter little to anything that goes on within this site. Which is why I say what's on my mind and probably am not well liked by some. I would like a new voting system, I also made the suggestion that Vets shouldn't be allowed to rec other vet guides (something which made reference to the voting system that was overlooked by jhoi and her over-dramatic comments). Putting vet guides in their own section would do away with the apparent necessity to have other vets rec another vets guide.

It allows there to be access to high quality guides without having non vets fight against a green name. While still promoting strong build/guides throughout the site. If anything the idea promotes positive growth within the community because IF I "JohnSmithNoone" wanted to write an Ashe guide I could see that I wouldn't have to compete with Jhoi's well written and well liked guide.

The "regular" people could feel free to write a guide that might become popular rather than struggle to fight to the top just to be down voted because someone liked a vet's guide better.

The whole idea I attempted to state was meant to tie in the fact that vet votes/recs for each other was unnecessary and hurt the overall growth of the site. And vet votes/recs for the "regular" people needed to be encouraged, but monitored in some way.

An apparent statement overlooked by people too busy to fully read, interpret, and understand it in completion what I was saying.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide