Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Any word or ideas for the new Veteran voting...

Creator: Toshabi December 7, 2011 5:37pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 7, 2011 11:24pm | Report

Well then everyone should have a green name and be able to rec guides too by that logic. After all we are all apart of the mobafire community right?

Yup, let's all give citizens guns too and the rights to fire at other civilians.

The differences between vets and "regular" people:

- Vets can rec guides
- Vets can edit the database

Difference between vets and mods:

- Mods can delete comments
- Mods can archive guides
- Mods can remove threads

Should we also make everyone a mod?

Better yet, should everyone become an admin?

Matt, I've solved the problem. People who aren't vets want to be vets so they can rec guides. I say we just promote everyone to admin, so we are all equal.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 7, 2011 11:39pm | Report
... You're kinda missing the point I think...

Reason I don't like vet recs... Super, super biased.

The #1 reason I want to become a vet is so I can edit the DB to be as up to date as possible.

Only reason I want. I get other perks with it? Ok, sure.

I can't handle the **** of being a mod and frankly, I barely think I could be a vet. I've seen the **** from every angle, except where it's aimed at. I'm pretty sure I was one who flung it at times too.

Point is, I think most people are happy with the status of vets just not the exclusive "I like this guide so it's automatically better" thing they have going for them.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 7, 2011 11:46pm | Report
And in this thread we're supposed to be discussing alternatives. So far I've heard one suggestion about removing vet guides from other guides (not even on topic), and one person agreeing that several vets should vote on a guide to receive a rec before rec'ing.

Could we please stick to the original post which wanted us to discuss alternatives to vet recs. I've listed my suggestions.

- Make it so vets can only rec a guide once.
- Make it so vets have to vote on whether a guide can be rec'd or not.

♡ sig by me ♡
Fox Rage
<Member>
Fox Rage's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 7, 2011 11:57pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

- Make it so vets have to vote on whether a guide can be rec'd or not.

My toughts exactly

+rep me and you'll get good karma, wich means you won't be reincarnated into a rock! Isn't that awesome?

But yes this idea has been discussed more than Pam Anderson's tits in a plastic surgeons office.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 12:07am | Report
I have kind've skimmed through the posts... but I had an idea.

The original idea behind Vet recs was so that good guides that were overlooked could get a little spotlight.

Guides that are overlooked are usually people that aren't that popular on this site / not regulars. I would agree that Vets don't need to rec other Vets / Mods guides, and I would go so far to say that popular users don't need their guides rec'd either. For instance, Dufftime's guide got a ton of votes when it came out, because Dufftime is a well-known figure on the forums.

My idea: Veterans can only rec a guide if the user's post count is < some number (OR rep is < some rep).

I think with this system an automatic rec removal after say, a month of giving the rec might be necessary.

I feel like this also solves the problem of bias to some extent. People who are friends on the forums have been here a while and usually have a decent post count. This will show off good guides that are by new users, and encourage new users to make guides.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 1:15am | Report
Mowen wrote:

I have kind've skimmed through the posts... but I had an idea.

The original idea behind Vet recs was so that good guides that were overlooked could get a little spotlight.

Guides that are overlooked are usually people that aren't that popular on this site / not regulars. I would agree that Vets don't need to rec other Vets / Mods guides, and I would go so far to say that popular users don't need their guides rec'd either. For instance, Dufftime's guide got a ton of votes when it came out, because Dufftime is a well-known figure on the forums.

My idea: Veterans can only rec a guide if the user's post count is < some number (OR rep is < some rep).

I think with this system an automatic rec removal after say, a month of giving the rec might be necessary.

I feel like this also solves the problem of bias to some extent. People who are friends on the forums have been here a while and usually have a decent post count. This will show off good guides that are by new users, and encourage new users to make guides.

I feel that this is kind of a punishment towards the "regulars" - the amount of people that come to site are people just looking for guides, usually with very few amount of posts. A majority of them don't even know who talks in forums, let alone even know who they are. Just because I'm an active participant in the forums means my guide doesn't deserve recognition? :(

EDIT: I think whatever is coming up will still be biased no matter what, unless their is a set amount of rules to it.
Maybe we could have a similar system to solomid where high ELO guides (1600+ since, we don't have very many high ELO's) are 'recognized' to a certain point but not too much where all the other guides are over-shadowed. And the other guides can be recommended based on viability in terms of gameplay and quality. Not saying that it has to be too aesthetically pleasing but enough to where it's readable and easy to go through.

I feel that this would change quite a bit of "Mobafire's noob reputation".

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 2:29am | Report
I also believe Mowen's idea could be punishing the regular members. I do believe MobaFire needs a way of promoting viable builds over not so viable builds created by popular members.

I stand by my earlier suggestions.

- Make it so vets have to vote on whether a guide can be rec'd or not. One vet may notice a guide they think is good. They head to the vet forums with the suggestion. If the required amounts of vets agree the guide deserves a rec, then the guide can be rec'd with the approval of "all the vets".

I don't think 1600 elo people should be "recognised". We already saw how the Pro guides were received.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 3:58am | Report
The idea is to promote guides that are good but are also being overlooked and have a lower rating than they deserve, right?

So why not use Mowen's idea but use ratings instead of the number of comments or the amount of Rep (I've seen forum regulars QQ about a lack of views, so I don't think it'd be great to 'punish' them by using Mowen's idea)?
Guides with a rating higher than ..% (don't know what would be a good rating tbh :|) don't need a recommendation to be read often, because they're already one of the top guides and generally get enough views.

An alternative which would also allow high-rated guides to be recommended is to look at the amount of views over the last .. days and rec guides that (for whatever reason) have recently been viewed less even though they're really good. I don't know if it happens often that a high-rated guide suddenly loses interest, however, so that might not be necessary.

As for new guides being recced before they have a rating (thus basically screwing the system), I guess some sort of 'guide-cannot-be-recced-within-first-x-days' rule should be introduced, just like new champion guides can't receive votes until after some time has passed and people have a general view of the new champion. In this case, the x couple of days would simply be used to see if the guide can receive enough publicity by itself, which is probably the case if, for example, Duff releases a guide.

jhoijhoi wrote:
Make it so vets have to vote on whether a guide can be rec'd or not. One vet may notice a guide they think is good. They head to the vet forums with the suggestion. If the required amounts of vets agree the guide deserves a rec, then the guide can be rec'd with the approval of "all the vets"

Whatever happens, make sure this is introduced, great idea :)

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 5:26am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

I also believe Mowen's idea could be punishing the regular members. I do believe MobaFire needs a way of promoting viable builds over not so viable builds created by popular members.

- Make it so vets have to vote on whether a guide can be rec'd or not. One vet may notice a guide they think is good. They head to the vet forums with the suggestion. If the required amounts of vets agree the guide deserves a rec, then the guide can be rec'd with the approval of "all the vets".

I don't think 1600 elo people should be "recognised". We already saw how the Pro guides were received.

I thought some people were just bitter towards them because people hated them for being well-known.

TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2011 5:58am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

lol? 1600 ELO shouldnt be recognized? So now you think only the best players should be around here, and the rest doesnt deserve respect? Arent we all players? If you really think so, tell me and I'm moving.

And that rec system should be like this:
  • You cant recommend a 20% guide rating, so the guide should have at least 60% rating
  • Vets can only rec one guide for each champion, so if you want to rec another one, your last vote will be deleted and the other will get it
  • All vets should agree with the rec, so you cant go there and rec any guide you want
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide