Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Suggestions

Creator: Bryun October 13, 2011 9:26pm
15 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 9:26pm | Report
Well, recently I've been lurking forums and I've come across things that may help, and enhance the site.
  • Friend System - Believe it or not people get acquainted, so I think this would help instead of searching the forums to find a post they made just to click on them.

• Notifications - I know this has been mentioned before, but I constantly lose track of what I reply to, and if they even reply back.

• BBC Code Chart - This could be placed near the text box, to an external link so people can figure out what codes can be used. So many people don't use coding because they don't know any in the first place.

• PM Button - This could be located on the top left when the user posts a comment, ie. next to the +Rep button. So people won't have to click the profile to message someone.

• Achievement System - I WANT BADGES - Also would encourage people to post more, and be more active.

• Vote on posts - Like the League of Legends official forums, if down-voted enough it will be hidden unless purposely shown by the user.

• Different Background Guide Picture - When you make a guide you normally don't get to choose a certain ie. Jax background for the guide, and would show a default one. More variety would be nice. ^^

That's all I have for now, but these would be nice to see. o:

Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 9:38pm | Report
Wow, you hit the nail on a lot of things we've really been wanting to do for a long time :) We just haven't had time yet. Hopefully we can start to hit some of those soon.

Although the PM button is actually there, you should see "Quote | PM | +Rep"?

Also regarding bbcode, jhoijhoi has posted an extensive guide that includes a lot of bbcode tips and tricks:

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/making-a-guide-101506
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 9:42pm | Report
  • Friend System - Unnecessary. It makes online relations more privatized and less real. There's a player-finder tool if you really want to see what one of your friends has been up to. I think adding a friends list would just be annoying, either creating an elitist atmosphere, or prominent members being spammed by requests.

• Notifications - I would love this. Not sure exactly how it would work though. Notifications for new votes and/or new comments on your guides would be great. Some sort of notification for when people respond to your posts or post on your threads would also be great.

• BBC Code Chart - Okay I guess, though there are already resources on the site for this.

• PM Button - It's there.

• Achievement System - Ugh. Why would you want such a thing? It makes anything you ACTUALLY achieve seem incredibly artificial. This is supposed to be a community site, not a game or contest. I think vet/mod/admin status + the Rep and post count features are quite enough incentive to be active on the site. I wouldn't want to see more people posting useless things or spamming just to get some stupid achievement. I would rather converse with people who actually WANT to post things.

• Vote on posts - Some drawbacks. Free speech being denied by the majority is not always a good thing. Most of the time bad posters would be downvoted, but sometimes you'll just have anyone saying anything that goes against the majority being chain-downvoted into oblivion. I don't think that's the kind of atmosphere we're going for. There's a reason there's no -Rep button. Besides, I think Mobafire is one of the best communities there is, not like the official LoL forums.

• Different Background Guide Picture - Would be nice. Probably not high priority though.
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 9:44pm | Report
Also, the Favorite Threads and/or Follow Thread feature is something I've been hoping for. Favoriting threads for repeat visits would be great, and Following threads to receive Notifications (which would have to be implemented) would be awesome to be able to keep up with responses.

Always nice to know that both the community and Admins are constantly working on ways to improve the site. :)
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 9:46pm | Report
@PsiGuard, if we added a friends list it wouldn't be for the sake of blocking your content from other people. It would be for the sake of easily tracking the people you are most interested in. More like subscribing to others, rather than filtering who you communicate and share with.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 9:48pm | Report
Just commenting on the ones I feel are interesting to me.
  • BBC Code Chart - Honestly, I just keep jhoi's guide up whenever I'm making my own. No way in hell I could remember all of that.

• Achievement System - Achievements for titles could be fun. IDK how it would be dealt with though.

• Different Background Guide Picture - Just like Solomid! <_<
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 9:53pm | Report
Matt wrote:

@PsiGuard, if we added a friends list it wouldn't be for the sake of blocking your content from other people. It would be for the sake of easily tracking the people you are most interested in. More like subscribing to others, rather than filtering who you communicate and share with.

Ohh, that's different from what I was thinking.

So it would function more like Favorites and less like LoL friend's lists. I was thinking that you'd have to send a friend request and the other person would accept it etc.

I suppose a subscribe-to-person function wouldn't be a bad idea. Not sure what exactly you'd be sharing privately though. Friends-only guides?
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 10:11pm | Report
You wouldn't be sharing anything privately, but instead you would be able to easily see updates of what your friends are doing on the site, and maybe some other shortcuts and features to help you communicate with them. I doubt we'd require any kind of "invite/accept" to add someone to your friends list, as there is nothing it would add that you can't already do (like PM anyone you want) :)
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 10:32pm | Report
Okay, that sounds fine.

I still have my reservations about achievements and post-voting though.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 11:41pm | Report
I have another suggestion. When you are editting your own guide, you have this:

Save - Publish - View. How about changing around the Publish and View buttons to encourage users to first take a look and then publish?

Also the subscribe to thread is a nice idea, but I suggested that before :P

I have some more suggestions but it's so damn early in the morning that I can't remember them, haha xD

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions: