Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

2016 Season Update - Champion Mastery,...

Creator: Wayne3100 November 4, 2015 10:30am
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 5:30pm | Report
Lat thing I'm gonna say about the ADC changes, since I kinda pushed this off topic.

Lots of people complain that ADC itemization is super static. Buy IE, Shiv/PD, Last whisper, maybe some lifesteal and that's it. You've got every single AD build ever made. but when Riot finally introduces new items, people dismiss them because they're "new and not what we want!" which, I guess, is a valid criticism. New items that could actually help everyone do different things scares people I guess. :P

Point is, they're trying to make every champion have their own "thing" and I think that they're gonna do really well once they get the numbers right.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 5:38pm | Report
Ironically ever since s1 Riot has been trying to make the game "more competitive" and yet has seen a great reduce in viable champions and a whole lot more broken/OP champs.

I remember back in s1 when yeah, things were OP, but you could play pretty much anything anywhere and succeed. I mean ****, even world champs were ****in weird.

Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 5:50pm | Report
^ Agreed. Does anyone remember when a champion came out and people where like "hmm. Wonder what role this champion will be played in?". It's like these days they start with a role and fill in the gaps. They even go as far as telling you where you have to play it. And if you dare play it somewhere else they'll just tune the numbers so that you'll never go out of line again.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 6:12pm | Report
^ Agreed. Does anyone remember when a champion came out and people where like "hmm. Wonder what role this champion will be played in?". It's like these days they start with a role and fill in the gaps. They even go as far as telling you where you have to play it. And if you dare play it somewhere else they'll just tune the numbers so that you'll never go out of line again.

Yeah, I definitely can remember several times Riot basically doing exactly what you said. Morg being played mid or top? Well, we want her to be a supp, so better completely nerf the **** out of her w.

Yi being played AP? Karma being played as AP mid? Better change them a ****ton in hopes of making them more competitive. What happens? They end up being played even less and alienate a significant portion of those who liked those champions.

I can't even remember the last time I saw someone who enjoyed playing a lot of Karma. Maybe Lemonnation.

Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 6:47pm | Report
Acutally, Morg's W was super nerfed if she was support. It does/did the same amount of damage after they changed it to a lower flat amount of damage increased by missing health. Enough to oneshot the back row.

Riot changes things that are unfun for people playing against it such as AP Yi. Because, I don't know about you, but I don't want to take unavoidable damage that had a pretty okay cast range, and killed all my minions, and made them invulnerable for a little bit so I couldn't fight back. And then, once I did fight back, and used all my long, powerful cooldowns, because I'm probably a mage, you're just gonna heal up to full with a 4.0 ratio heal. Now, tell me. In what world is that fun to play against?

And, let's not forget the cooldowns resetting on kills, which were super easy to get, as well as the MS buff which made him almost impossible to get away from.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 8:29pm | Report
When will people learn the Riot is an awful company that doesn't know wtf they are doing with their own game?

Guess that's to be expected when you rip off a game that wasn't yours to begin with.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 8:54pm | Report
Werent some of the original Riot people responsible for the original DotA mod? Or was that a myth?
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 9:16pm | Report
Werent some of the original Riot people responsible for the original DotA mod? Or was that a myth?

Yep, Guinsoo was one of the three that worked on the original DotA mod and then was picked up by Riot. He's a pretty well known Red, at least in ye olde days. He got Rageblade named after him as well
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
ri]
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 9:53pm | Report
Nighthawk wrote:
Ironically ever since s1 Riot has been trying to make the game "more competitive" and yet has seen a great reduce in viable champions and a whole lot more broken/OP champs.

Nah, just right now at the end of season 5, things were really well balanced. There were a few champs (like Galio) who were rarely played, and some characters who might not do well against particular matchups in a rock/paper/scissors kind of way, but no, actually Riot did a good job with the balance of the game as the end of season 5 drew near. There was nothing like the bad old days of Feral Flare and the like. Worlds this year had the most champion diversity in picks and bans of any year.

As far as preseason 6, yeah, things are going to be wild. The masteries, items, champion changes, and vision changes are all going to make things crazy for a few weeks until people get an idea of how things work together. However, I "groc" what Riot is doing. The changes they're making will allow them to easily target specific issues if some combination gets out of balance.

Having played a ton on the PBE over the last week, I can say that Riot hit it out of the park with making marksmen more diversified. You can't just say, "Oh, there's the ADC, I'll do this" anymore. The champions have distinctive play patterns that you have to take into account. Also, I like that some marksmen may end up succeeding better in lanes other than the bottom ADC role. Graves in particular seems to succeed on top and I've seen a lot of mid Corki and Quinn. (Btw, I don't know why anyone would complain about the changes to Quinn. Her identity as a roaming marksman has been enhanced by the change to her ult, not hurt by it). Sure, numbers will have to be tweaked for balance purposes, but the overall design changes have been terrific.

The new masteries and items are going to take a ton of time for Riot to balance correctly. I can definitely see some unforeseen abuse issues being found, and as I said in the other thread, I worry about how all of the life steal will affect tanks. However, I like that Riot is getting more creative with their items and how they're making it so that you have the ability to alter your build to specifically counter your opponents. I hope that they do a similar item pass for defensive and AP items in the future.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 9, 2015 3:05am | Report
MungoGeri wrote:
Nah, just right now at the end of season 5, things were really well balanced. There were a few champs (like Galio) who were rarely played, and some characters who might not do well against particular matchups in a rock/paper/scissors kind of way, but no, actually Riot did a good job with the balance of the game as the end of season 5 drew near. There was nothing like the bad old days of Feral Flare and the like. Worlds this year had the most champion diversity in picks and bans of any year.

The end of season 5 honestly wasn't well balanced at all. Sure, it's nice that there was more champion diversity at Worlds, but at the same time there were too many unbalanced champions who ended up with pretty high pick/ban ratios ( Darius/ Mordekaiser/ Fiora/ Tahm Kench/ Gangplank, to name a few).

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide