Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

2016 Season Update - Marksman, Mastery, Jungle...

Creator: Wayne3100 November 4, 2015 10:30am
1 2 3
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 4, 2015 10:30am | Report
Marksman, Mastery, Jungle and Itemization Changes

Check out Riot's new changes to marksmen, masteries, the jungle and items! For the full details, you can click the images to enlarge them or visit the Riot page by clicking on the banner below.

Marksman Updates
  • Bullet Time lasts longer at higher ranks

• New passive - Strut moved to W

• Impure Shots grants more attack speed
  • Q no longer blinds, but its cooldown is reduced when attacking vulnerable enemies

• Ult is now a toggle
  • AoE basic attacks

• Now uses an ammo system

• Buckshot (shape) tweaked
  • Living Artillery gains execute damage

• W damage halved, attack speed doubled

• Attack speed no longer capped while W is active
  • Autos deal half physical, half magic damage

• Recalling post-6 grants him a supercharged Valkyrie which can be used within the next minute of the game
  • Traps now run on ammo

• Long range Headshot attack on trapped or slowed enemies

• Piltover Peacemaker tweaked

Masteries

• New trees: Resolve, Cunning and Ferocity

• Focus on offering high-impact choices which fundamentally impact how you play your champion

• Most notable are the tier 6 "keystone masteries". Example:

Thunderlord's Decree
    Your third attack or spell on an enemy champion shocks the area around them, dealing a base amount of damage plus a portion of your bonus attack damage and ability power as magic damage to enemies in the area (on a long internal cooldown)

Rift Herald

• New jungle camp. Location: Baron pit

• Can be contested before the 15 minute mark

• Taking down the Rift Herald grants a single target buff which boosts early game power and the ability to push a lane

Itemization: Marksmen

• More item options which allow marksman players to contribute to their team in different ways:

• Variety of ways to amplify damage (through raw stats, focusing on frequent spellcasts, dealing a high amount of health based damage to a single target or through AoE attacks)

• Items which complement different strategic options (e.g. focus on splitpushing and sieging)

• More defensive options (building up a shield, being able to cleanse CC or turning a portion of the damage taken into an over time bleed effect)

Itemization: Starting/Sustain

• Addition of newer, more specialized item openings

• Mana potions removed, cost of health potions increased

• New refillable consumable options (with upgrades) added for those who are looking for long-term sustain instead of wanting just enough to survive the early game

Learn more:

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 4, 2015 5:17pm | Report
Can't wait to play around with new mastery setups and item builds! ^_^
Thanks to Fatelblade for the sig!
TheRealCefor
<Member>
TheRealCefor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 4, 2015 6:46pm | Report
I'm ready for season 6, Imma pretend the fifth never happened.
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 8:41am | Report
No mana pots. Woah.
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 1:09pm | Report
ADC's cried hard enough and now they made the game more baby coddling for them, a bloobloobloo, I dunno how to orbwalk and kite it's haaaaaaaaaard :c

Also, warding debris? Trinkets self upgrading? Really? we gonna dumb things down more? I wonder if I'm the only one annoyed at this. Probably, but then again, those are the same people who were too dumb to keep track of jungle timers.

I can see season 10 now: "Game plays for you!"
Maintained
<Stalker>
Maintained's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 2:41pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:
ADC's cried hard enough and now they made the game more baby coddling for them, a bloobloobloo, I dunno how to orbwalk and kite it's haaaaaaaaaard :c

Also, warding debris? Trinkets self upgrading? Really? we gonna dumb things down more? I wonder if I'm the only one annoyed at this. Probably, but then again, those are the same people who were too dumb to keep track of jungle timers.

Looks like you spilled something

Special thanks to Jovy for the signature! Check out her shop
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 2:44pm | Report
Maintained wrote:

Looks like you spilled something

Why do you gotto be a memer and not add anything memeingful to anything? Might as well replace every post you make with a random page from www.knowyourmeme.com .

Yeah, Toshabi said that. Toshabi went there. Toshabi just stomped your *** out of MOBAsistance.
MrCuddowls wrote:

Hahahaha telling me my items are bad HHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhA
Listen buddy don't judge someone's items if your only level 13
This build is Platinum approved, Thats all you need to know

The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 2:48pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

No, I'm pretty annoyed by this too.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 4:23pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

You're not the only one. Every patch they make is aimed at making the game easier. Instead of keeping the game fresh they're actively making it less challenging and engaging.

IMO, this is an aspect in which E-sports are really worse compared to their real-life counterparts. As long as the game in its completeness isn't free (as in freedom) software, the sport is controlled by something (usually a single company). There's no changing the rules or reverting changes in E-sports. With normal sports, the game (tournament) organizer decides the rules.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 8, 2015 9:10pm | Report
I've been playing on the PBE pretty much non-stop over the last week, so here are my overall impressions on each of these topics:

Marksman Updates

ADC is my worst position by far, so I didn't play them much, except for Kindred. However, my impressions playing with and against a lot of marksmen are:

1. Riot succeeded in differentiating the marksmen. What's more, it seems like some marksmen - namely Graves, Corki, Quinn, and of course Kindred - may end up succeeding better in other lanes/roles than in the standard bottom ADC slot.

2. Be careful about reading too much into what PBE players are saying about who is overpowered and who isn't -- and for that matter don't make many judgements until a couple weeks into the preseason. Things are going to be chaotic until people get used to the new characters, items, and masteries. To give you an idea, right now on the PBE, Yasuo is considered one of the most dangerous and banned characters. He might indeed be a bit overpowered with all the new crit% items. However, keep in mind that on the PBE, nearly every team is overloaded with people experimenting with marksmen, so it makes sense that a character specifically designed to counter marksmen would be strong.

3. Graves is turning out to be the most dramatic and interesting change. They've basically made Graves into a marksman juggernaut. Like with juggernauts, if you can keep him at bay, you can beat him. But if he gets close to you, he can destroy you. His abilities plus all of the defensive passives and life steal on ADC items makes him both tanky and powerful. He might be overtuned, but I think people on the PBE are starting to not fear him so much as they get used to keeping their distance from Graves or saving some hard cc to control him.

4. Corki has been interesting. He has a rocket sled ability that lets him zoom from the fountain to lane quickly, which can help him get an item advantage on an ADC who doesn't go back to base out of fear of missing out on some minion waves. I haven't seen a Corki take over a game yet, but he has a lot of potential.

5. Miss Fortune has ramped up in popularity over the last couple of days. Her ultimate packs a big Wombo that when joined with any other player's combo can really destroy.

6. I'm really interested to see how Kog'Maw pans out. Unfortunately, people are so afraid of the possibility of being on the receiving end of 5 attacks per second that he's very often banned.

Masteries

The new masteries are frigg'n amazing. The deeper into each tree you go, the more valuable the masteries get, and the tier 3 keystone masteries are awesome. I'm sure you've already read about various offensive masteries. The big one that is skewing a lot of things right now is the one that gives 15% life steal and 20% attack speed on crit. Load up on crit items, which often have their own defensive attributes, and you can be a tanky beast.

However, there are some other really interesting mastery combinations that haven't gotten as much press. For example, let's take a look at the effect that the new masteries have on Soraka. What does Soraka like? Power to her heals and health regeneration right?

Extra Power to Heals

Windspeaker's Blessing, the Tier 3 keystone mastery in the Cunning tree, gives 10% extra power to all healing and shields. In addition, all allies (not yourself) gain an extra 15% to their armor and magic resistance for 3 seconds. So, one Soraka ult means that not only do you heal your team but you also give everyone 15% more armor and magic resistance. Add in an Ardent Censer and you'll give everyone 15% more attack speed and +30 magic on-hit damage.

And then you can cast your W heals at a faster rate because Intelligence allows your maximum CDR to increase by an extra 5% (45% CDR total). So, at max rank and CDR, Soraka's W heal can cast every 1.1 seconds.

And then Runic Armor in the Resolve tree gives an *additional* 8% bonus to all self healing and regeneration. This is is on top of the already existing 10% powerup from Windspeaker's Blessing, and it works on her Q and her ultimate.

Extra Power to Health Regeneration

But there's more! Check out how health regeneration gets powered up, too:

Recovery: +2 health regen/5
Perserverence: +50% base health regen, +200% base health regen when below 20% health (like when you're in the back spamming heals on your teammates)
Runic Armor: +8% bonus to all shields, healing, and health regeneration on you. This multiplies all health regenration, including regeneration from runes.

This is just one example, but it shows how the mastery trees can end up being really strong for a lot of different characters. Right now, I'm also mulling over how these masteries might make Volibear almost unkillable. Stay tuned.

Jungle

1. Despite the fact that they reduced the AD on jungle monsters, the first jungle clear can be tough, because the starting items and jungle related masteries aren't as strong as they are on live. A Rioter said they recognized the issue and mentioned that they will probably need to tune the jungle and/or jungle starting items a bit.

2. The choice between starting with a Hunter's Machete or a Hunter's Talisman is an interesting one. The Hunter's Machete adds 20 physical damage on hit to monsters and gives 8% life steal. To give you an idea of what this means, on Nocturne with 15% attack speed runes, this amounts to 16 damage/second and 5 health stolen/second. With Hunter's Talisman, the passive gives 4 damage dealt/second and 4 health stolen/second per target hit. So, obviously if there is only one target (e.g. Gromp) or if your character can only hit one monster at a time, you're going to be better off using a Hunter's Machete. However, if you can easily hit multiple targets with a spell about every 5 seconds, you may likely benefit more from starting with a Hunter's Talisman. I've found that most of my jungle characters ( Rammus, Kindred, Nocturne, Lulu) have an easier time when using a Hunter's Talisman.

3. By the way, the "+150% mana regeneration while in jungle" stat on jungle items means what it literally says. You get the mana regeneration as long as you are in the jungle. You don't have to be actively fighting jungle monsters to get it.

4. They removed the +30 gold from killing large monsters on jungle items and boosted the base gold given out to compensate. Now, jungle items give +30 experience for large monster kills and they slightly reduced the base experience given out for killing jungle monsters. This is designed to prevent laners from killing a jungle camp and getting a quick level 2 advantage on their enemy.

5. Jungle camps spawn at 1:40 now! I think the minions also spawn an extra 15 seconds earlier, but this was a recent change, so I'm not 100% sure about that.

6. The Rift Herald is hard to kill solo (unless you're Shaco apparently) but relatively easy to kill with two people. If top or mid gets a kill in lane and isn't too badly hurt, he or she and the jungler should make a beeline for the Rift Herald. Incidentally, the jungler will get +5 Devourer stacks for helping kill the Rift Herald just like he or she would get by killing the dragon. (I think you have to smite it sometime during the fight to get the bonus).

7. Wolf now targets the Baron after Kindred has 6 stacks on her passive. In other words, killing Baron will give Kindred an extra stack on her passive now after she has built up 6 stacks.

Vision

Since people were freaking out about the vision changes in this thread, I thought I'd make it it's own section. My general advice is to calm down. There are changes, but Riot has definitely not dumbed down the vision game.

1. First, people are panicking that Riot isn't making people pay for upgrading their trinkets anymore, so they think that Stealth Wards will be everywhere. This isn't the case. Instead, yellow trinkets start off kind of like they do on live but as you level up, their cooldown decreases and their duration increases. However, even at level 18, the cooldown and duration basically match, so each person will only be able to average placing one Stealth Ward at a time using their yellow trinkets. (Yes, the trinket can store up to 2 charges, so you can put down 2 wards at once, but you will only be able to average having one ward out at a time over the course of the game). This is very different from the upgraded yellow trinkets on the live servers that let you average having 2 wards out at once per player.

2. More emphasis seems be be placed on putting out *visible* wards. Obviously, decent players will buy vision wards to guard their own jungle passes. But most importantly at level 9, you can change your trinket to a blue trinket which will place a 1 hit point ward at a long range that will stay out *indefinitely*. The cooldown time on the blue trinkets are relatively short, so in theory having 3+ players on your team with blue trinkets could light up the map. In practice, though, these wards are easy to see and kill if you systematically check bushes as you go by. I suspect that these blue trinkets may have too short of a cooldown time, though, and I predict that Riot will end up increasing their cooldown time by 15-20 seconds if they become as popular as I expect they will become.

3. Because Stealth Wards will be more rare (no buying them directly from the shop and trinkets being more stingy with them), they will become more valuable. I predict that supports will still buy a Sightstone but now they can upgrade their Sightstone to some nice nifty new upgrades. I'll say more about this in the item section. Also, the new jungle item, Tracker's Knife, will allow a jungler to put out two Stealth Wards (recharged when returning to base), so the jungler can help out with the placement of additional Stealth Wards.

4. I predict that the new vision meta will involve the support buying a Sightstone and getting the red trinket to detect and remove enemy Stealth Wards, the jungler getting a Tracker's Knife and a red trinket, and the other three champions on the team getting blue trinkets. In low elo games, I might consider getting a blue trinket on a support, too, just to light up the place even more.

Items

I'm getting a bit tired, so I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail on all of the new items. There are a lot of new items and changes to old items, so it'll take a while for people to settle on their preferred builds. But here are some broad strokes:

1. The removal of mana potions isn't as big of a deal as it seems. Base mana regeneration rates have increased across the board, the new refillable potions (Corrupting Potion and Hunter's Potion) give you some mana, and the mana regeneration bonus on the caster support items have been greatly increased.

2. There is a large increase in various kinds of life/health steal, especially on AD items. This combined with some tankiness stats on some AD items (e.g. the "The last champion hit deals 12% less damage to you" effect on Phantom Dancer) means that ADC's won't be so squishy anymore. It also means that teams may end up needing to load up on items with Grievous Wounds on them.

3. The result of the issue discussed #2 makes me nervous about how well tanks will do in the game. I'm particularly worried about my favorite tank, Rammus. If the damage reduction and life steal gets out of hand, it will seriously cripple his ability to taunt and kill ADC's using his abilities and Thornmail. I only tried Rammus out once in a game, though, and that was in a game where the enemy team snowballed early and quickly, so I can't definitively say if this is as bad of a problem as I think it could be. It would be nice if there were a tanky item that applied Grievous Wounds to attackers -- or at least if the champions who taunt could have Grievous Wounds applied to enemies during the taunt's duration.

4. I have read but have not confirmed that Grievous Wounds now only affects self-healing, so healing supports will not be affected by the the possible increase in Grievous Wounds in the game.

5. I like that Riot is doing a bit more to support on-hit builds by changing Hextech Gunblade to heal based on all damage dealt (including on-hit damage!), revising Guinsoo's Rageblade to ramp up to some amazing power heights, and adding a nice on-hit offensive mastery. However, I think that making ranged characters have to hit 8 basic attacks to power up Guinsoo's Rageblade fully is a bit much.

6. The new support upgrades to Sightstone are really nice, but they do put you in a quandry. The new Frost Queen's Claim is terrific (+150% mana regen and the active uses the slowing icy ghost mechanic. However, you can only have one gold generation item, so if you decide to get one of the tier 3 support items ( Frost Queen's Claim, talisman of ascension, face of the mountain), your only choice for a Sightstone upgrade is the rather lackluster Ruby Sightstone -- which while better than on live still isn't that great.

7. The new support items give a lot more gold than they did before. There's part of me that's tempted to use the Frost Queen's Claim in the mid lane, because its stats are decent and the gold generation is so good that it'll end up paying off in the long run.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide