Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

As a future science teacher...

Creator: jhoijhoi April 21, 2013 2:02am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2013 5:32pm | Report
Just want to say that I don't understand where Tosh is coming from at all. All I said in the OP is that "as a future science teacher, this [pertaining to religious teachings of dinosaurs] scares me".

I don't know why he's drawn parallels with all sorts of other random titbits beyond the fact that he feels like arguing. I never claim this is "evidence" that all religious people are crazy, or whatever. I never claim that this is evidence that I shouldn't "trust" religious people. I have in the past discussed my experiences with religion, and talked about how these experiences have shaped my view of the religious people I know - that is merely logical. One does not create an opinion without being influenced by something first. It's called a socio-cultural lens, and everyone's view is ultimately different due to their experiences.

I don't stereotype religious people all over the world to be bible-thumping Westboro Church activists. Like I have said countless times, I only have personal experience with religious family members/friends. Every comment I've made about religion has stemmed from this view. Perhaps it has been extremely unlikely and unfortunate that all my encounters with religion have been, on the whole, negative. That doesn't mean every single religious incident/activity/etc is negative.

I would also like to draw attention to Tosh's statement that tests don't have year levels displayed on them. As a pre-service teacher, I can tell you straight off the bat, that that's incorrect from my experience. In my experience, all formative and summative assessment is titled with the year level, class, teacher and student. So, for example:

Year 5 Class: 5B Name: Jane Doe Teacher: Mr Summer

In high school it is far more intricate, with semester, term, unit/topic, register (tenor, field, context), year level + class, teacher and student name. Source? I'm a pre-service teacher who JUST attended a lecture on writing assessment task sheets ^^

Even worksheets set as homework often have the year level, student name and teacher name. Formative assessment is extremely important, as it reveals whether the student has been learning what will be assessed in summative assessment tasks that contribute to their overall grade at the end of the year/semester/term.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2013 5:37pm | Report
I'm sorry that your experiences with religious people has been negative. Trust me when I say we despise those crazy *******s at least as much as any athiest. Especially creationists and westboro. They really make me want to flip some tables. So illogical and closed minded...

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2013 5:48pm | Report
Republic, not all of my experiences have been negative, just as a "whole" they have been. For instance, I used to attend church. I believe the religion my family is a part of is Iglesia ni Cristo. Pretty much all the Filipinos in my home town at the time would gather Thursday nights and Sunday mornings for mass. After that, which involved a lot of singing, we would have a potluck. I recall fondly on those memories of my childhood, as (even if I do say so myself), Filipino traditional dishes are darn delicious. Not only was I dressed in pretty frocks, got to meet all my cousins/people my age with my skin colour and look, and eat mouth-watering food, but we also got to sing!

As the preaching was in tagalog, I never learnt anything much about the actual religious views as a child (I can't speak tagalog).

Those memories and experiences were perfectly fine and positive. Others, experiences I had when I was older and more informed about the world, were negative, and unfortunately outweigh the positives of my childhood.

Hope that clears a few things up! ^^ I'm not against religion or religious people. I'm against some of the ideologies that are deeply ingrained in society due to religious scripture, such as belief that people of the same sex can't be married.

On that topic, New Zealand legalised same sex marriage the other day! +1 to my neighbours, and I can only hope that Australia soon follows.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
MyRepublic
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 22, 2013 6:08pm | Report
All of my religious friends feel the same way that you do. It is all the more frustrating for us as not only is it deeply rage inducing (And I mean real rage, not internet rage) it makes us all look bad too.

I tried to learn tagalog, but my teacher couldn't speak english well enough to teach me.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

MyRepublic
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2013 12:19pm | Report
Tosh was trying to make an argument against jhoi that was not the actual argument but was close. I pointed that out. It's called a straw man argument. I'm not seeing your point, or why you even commented since we are no longer on that topic.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide