Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Failure of feminism

Creator: throatslasher May 10, 2013 1:59pm
147 posts - page 14 of 15
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 12:52pm | Report
It was a point of certainty from which we could derive that abortion in the case of rape victims wasn't directly undesirable.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 1:09pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

Jai if you insist on repeatedly commenting on abortion instead of staying on topic, I suggest you make your own thread about it.

Psi... I made one comment in this thread about abortion after my first initial comment on abortion on page one... that's not me repeatedly commenting...

Everyone else was talking about abortion too, I was just following the flow of the thread... not sure why I was singled out... but okay...
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 1:33pm | Report
May I make one statement that is quite importantly related to abortion? I've not been following the discussion, but one thing I do know is the following:

Abortion is the main reason why crime rates in the USA have dropped in the late 80's/early 90's. People who actually knew they couldn't take care of their child, would have an abortion instead of raising a child while being unable to raise and educate them in a way normal parents would. This would save a child of a unhappy youth and possible criminality simply due to birth control.

Perhaps some of you know this theory already through the book Freakonomics. Its a great read :)

Now, regarding feminism itself. I feel like it has not really failed but has gone too far. I remember the Dutch parliament forcing themselves into having equal amounts of female/male secretaries, instead of just looking at the individual qualities of the people nominated. One of those even got decommissioned after a few weeks.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 1:37pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:

Abortion is the main reason why crime rates in the USA have dropped in the late 80's/early 90's. People who actually knew they couldn't take care of their child, would have an abortion instead of raising a child while being unable to raise and educate them in a way normal parents would. This would save a child of a unhappy youth and possible criminality simply due to birth control.

That is called a cause-effect correlation fallacy. There is no necessity to think that one caused the other. Saying the increase of abortion led to the decrease of crime is a tad stretch.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 1:41pm | Report
sirell wrote:

That is called a cause-effect correlation fallacy. There is no necessity to think that one caused the other. Saying the increase of abortion led to the decrease of crime is a tad stretch.

It indeed doesn't, I don't recall the exact reasoning behind it, but I do know that the book in which this has been explained has a really valid reasoning. What I do recall though: abortion was legalized about 16-20 years after the crime rate drop, which is exactly the age in which young people can start getting involved in criminal activities.

BTW: This theory has not been developed by me, but by one of the best-know economists in the past years. He has even been awarded to be the best young economist in the whole world in 2005 if I'm not mistaken. He would at least know what he is talking about, 'ya know ;-)
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 1:44pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Wow.
That has got to be the most ******ed collection of sentences I've seen this year. Even Thalia's comment stands no chance against the raw idiocy at display here.
Also, her agenda shines through like a ****ing sun. The victim is usually blamed for the rape? Oh really now?..

Damn I was going for the gold
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 1:49pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Psi... I made one comment in this thread about abortion after my first initial comment on abortion on page one... that's not me repeatedly commenting...

Everyone else was talking about abortion too, I was just following the flow of the thread... not sure why I was singled out... but okay...

Isn't a second comment on the same thing per definition repeating oneself?
And doesn't that in turn mean that you repeatedly commented on it? :P

Also, it's easy to single out the one who started it. The discussion would probably not have happened if you didn't start writing about it.
It's obvious that it's something you feel strongly about and you should go ahead and start a thread if you want further discussion... but then again, this thread is already shot to all hell, so let's just keep using this one for the time being :)

sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 1:56pm | Report
Even reputable scholars are known to be wrong (or at least refuted) and, more importantly, argued against. I also assume he wasn't given the award based on that section, but on his work as a whole, since the abortions paper was only one chapter.

To be fair to him, it's not as if his argument is incoherent, and his studies were relevant. It's linked to some sociological studies I've seen before concerning crime and deviance. It seems to make more sense the more I think about it, actually.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 2:03pm | Report
sirell wrote:

Even reputable scholars are known to be wrong (or at least refuted) and, more importantly, argued against. I also assume he wasn't given the award based on that section, but on his work as a whole, since the abortions paper was only one chapter.

To be fair to him, it's not as if his argument is incoherent, and his studies were relevant. It's linked to some sociological studies I've seen before concerning crime and deviance. It seems to make more sense the more I think about it, actually.

Well of course they are, but at least its not like he will be writing completely ********, he has to have a well-thought-through theory with good reasoning to come this far. He has actually been fighting those incorrect assumptions throughout the book.

If you're interested in this subject I'd definitely recommend you to pick up that book because it has really given me hours of entertainment.
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 2:09pm | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:

But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them? :P

Didn't read the rest of the thread, because there is no way anyone could saying anything better than this. This made my day Mr Banana.

EDIT: I was mistaken.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide