Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account






Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Manga/Anime You Read/Watch

Creator: Jebus McAzn February 20, 2011 6:30pm
3336 posts - page 255 of 334
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
1126
Joined:
Dec 12th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2014 7:12pm | Report
XeresAce wrote:
Guys, are you sure all the hate on tokyo ghoul isn't just blind? :o

Yes. Yes I am sure. Tokyo Ghoul is definitely bad. I have described the reasons that I think it is bad in length already; I can quote myself if necessary. I acknowledge that I hate it more than it deserves, largely because it appeals to a certain type of young person that used to include me and I hate to be reminded of the idiot I used to be (as opposed to the idiot I am).

XeresAce wrote:
It really isn't that much worse than half of the other anime series out there... I see no reason to claim its unwatchable when you claim SAO has its niche and is watchable?

Certainly it's no worse than many or even most anime. That hardly makes it good. And your comparison to SAO is... Not really going to work in Tokyo Ghoul's favor. SAO benefits from a large budget, great visuals, and a relatively lack of mistakes. Yes, SAO makes mistakes, and yes some of them are fairly major, but it does too many things too well to really be bad. Especially when it comes to art; SAO is freakin' pretty.

As for being watchable, they're both watchable. There're only a few small number of things that I'd honestly say are unwatchable, and I'll be very clear when I think that's the case. But there's a huge difference between being watchable and actually being worth watching. I don't think Tokyo Ghoul is worth watching, in no small part because I think that the tastes it appeals to are... Immature. SAO can be worth watching, in the way that action movies can be worth watching; it's great if you like the genre and aren't interested in anything deep, meaningful, or smart.

Also, I think one major thing SAO has going for it is that it aired a year and a half ago and is still a major part of the conversation. Everyone has an opinion about it. Not all those opinions are good, but everyone has seen it and everyone reacts to it. It's a part of the conversation, and no amount of hating it (or loving it) can change that.

This is also why I think shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion are genius. Not everyone likes it, and it's not without mistakes, but no one gets to ignore it. If you don't watch it, don't react to it, there's a huge part of the conversation about anime that you don't get to participate in. SAO isn't a major player like Eva, but its longevity and lasting popularity absolutely mean something.

And guys, can we please stop with the numbers? All "3/10" means is "I don't like it", and we already know that from the words you used to say how you feel about it. None of us are critics, we do not really know what we're talking about. Nor do we have any real basis for knowing what the actual difference between, say, a 7/10 and a 6/10 are, or even the difference between 8/10 and 3/10. All I can honestly say is that you like things with high numbers better than things with low numbers, which is obvious to the point of being useless.

This is why I was giving scores that were non-numeric and frequently jokes. We need to actually read what people write, and say why we think we think the things we think. Otherwise the conversation goes nowhere. I can't argue with "3/10". Nor can you argue against me if all I do is give a different score.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
2171
Joined:
Nov 18th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2014 9:47pm | Report
Writing this after I finished my reply and realized something;

LifeBaka, I'm going to HAVE to agree to disagree with you here. Our tastes are extremely different and it's hard to come to a conclusion we can both agree on.

Certain type of young person? Really?

As for your SAO argument, it can be used for Tokyo Ghoul just as easily.

It can be good if you just want some blood, guts and nudity and aren't looking for anything deep, meaningful or clever.

How do you judge if something is "worth your time"? I'm very confused about this. Because, personally, if I found enjoyment in a show I would definitely consider it time well spent.

The reason I brought up this discussion is because I haven't seen a decent anime get so much one sided hate since the ending of SAO LOL

I use the numbers because I feel it's easier to categorize anime that way.
what the numerical ratings mean for myself


I saw your explanation before and I still can't see why it wouldn't be worth watching? It's edgy, I like edgy just like action enthusiasts like their cataclysmic flashy fights...

I never complimented it on it's handling of dark themes nor its characters neither its portrayal of the contrast between darkness and light xD


Oh oh and one more thing, I actually liked SAO a lot for the first 14 episodes or so, but the remaining ones that were basically focusing on an in game love story seemingly written on by a 14 year old kind of threw me off. I actually gave it a 6/10 (refer to my ratings above). Didn't want to come off as a hater.
Thanks to Koksei for the sig!
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
1806
Joined:
Oct 19th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2014 2:47am | Report
What I am seeing here is that lifebaka basically dislikes TG for seeming to want to be sth that he doesn't see in it.

TG appears to bait in 'younger', as lifebaka describes, audience by showing them 'mature' content which is in fact not mature but just more extreme with lots of censoring and slight gore.

This is basically what lifebaka is foucsing at when watching the series, as he himself used to be one of those who would be baited by said 'mature' content.

On the other hand TG offers alot more than just that. If we get past the beginning in which they showed us how cruel the world of Ghouls is, the major plot and developement is indeed more mature while staying a (fighting)-shounen.

Which we cannot say about SAO, cus that is just a cluster**** of generic clicheƩs.

Right now TG is above average, won't be enough to hit genious level like some other animes (which is rarely done nowadays, also cus of elitism etc.).

Problem with judging art, is that it is pretty much subjective, mostly due to interpretation of the story by the studio and the studio themselves.
I don't think I'd like Bakemonogatari as much if it weren't for SHAFT, but at the same time SAO art was not appealing at all and just fit so well with the genericness of it.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
3040
Joined:
Dec 7th, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2014 5:25am | Report
lifebaka wrote:
And guys, can we please stop with the numbers? All "3/10" means is "I don't like it", and we already know that from the words you used to say how you feel about it. None of us are critics, we do not really know what we're talking about. Nor do we have any real basis for knowing what the actual difference between, say, a 7/10 and a 6/10 are, or even the difference between 8/10 and 3/10. All I can honestly say is that you like things with high numbers better than things with low numbers, which is obvious to the point of being useless.

I think I think what you think about thinking about things we think and thinking about how they affect our thinking, if I think about it.

Looks like I'll be watching Tokyo Ghoul. Also, I think SAO is pretty enjoyable and we have had this discussion before. TL;DR: turn off brain and enjoy.

Please let this thread not degrade into a TG vs SAO fanboy contest xD
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
2171
Joined:
Nov 18th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2014 9:16am | Report
^ples it's not a fanboy contest D: It's more like a "don't put down an anime I like ples" thing LOL

@ichi


really? THAT'S the reason? Seems pretty silly to me.

Tokyo ghoul definitely isn't genius level, but it certainly isn't something you recommend avoiding saying it's not worth your time. That has been my point in this discussion since the beginning xD

And pls, SAO had its good points even if they were minimal. It did two things right: set up a good premise to keep people watching and had good action scenes to entertain those not looking for a story, and that's good enough for it to be considered average imo. No need to be THAT hard on it. (but I do agree on the part that the art style is largely generic, that whatever semblance of a story it had was indeed a cluster**** of cliches and that tokyo ghoul is definitely better >:D)
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
1806
Joined:
Oct 19th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2014 1:25pm | Report
What reason do you mean?
- my thesis on why lifebaka prolly does not like TG
- my reasoning for liking Bakemonogatari real hard
- why I dislike SAO
?? xD

I said before, SAO has its entertainment value, which also goes with the action scenes (I think I mentioned it somewhere, that the action scenes were, good. And if anyone actually watched the gigguk video, I posted, which resembles my opinion on SAO (cept of the explaination of what is MMORPG) pretty much, then my hate towards SAO won't seem as hard as it comes over to you.
I just simply can't accept people calling it a masterpiece, or even above average. It is just below average with alot of hype.

And the same is going to happen to AgK.
I do like the series, I shut down my brain and enjoy, but the plot isn't even touched and they do not even care to resolve the problems of society.

Same for Prison School,
you can't read that Manga (soon to be anime) with a straight face while actually believing that those characters are acting like real humans lol.
(Tho, I am not a fan of ecchi, the dumbness of literally EVERYONE in the series is just 2 gud)
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
749
Joined:
Oct 28th, 2013
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2014 1:44pm | Report
Haikyuu!! anyone? Yeah...yeah...maybe?
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
2171
Joined:
Nov 18th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2014 1:53pm | Report
@ichi I meant your thesis on why lifebaka (most likely) doesn't like TG xD

and yeah.. its a bit below average but has way too high of a budget to be considered garbage :'D
Thanks to Koksei for the sig!
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
4103
Joined:
Apr 7th, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2014 2:17pm | Report
Darealone wrote:
Haikyuu!! anyone? Yeah...yeah...maybe?

I'm watching it. Highly recommending it if you like sports anime.
It's similiar to Kuroko no Basket.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
749
Joined:
Oct 28th, 2013
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2014 6:52pm | Report
Joxuu wrote:
I'm watching it. Highly recommending it if you like sports anime.


I love it. I play volleyball so...I can relate quite well.
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide