Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Manga/Anime You Read/Watch

Creator: Jebus McAzn February 20, 2011 6:30pm
3336 posts - page 274 of 334
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 1:52am | Report
xIchi wrote:
I am not sure if you are supposed to feel anything in these deaths.
You are right. It definitely feels rushed, and the storytelling is brutal (in the sense of enjoyment).

But what if it is supposed to feel distant as this story revolves around a corrupt empire and assassins trying to kill all 'evil'.
I am not saying that the author is trying to do so. It all just seems that way.
After all (especially in manga and anime) you can't just introduce a character, develope a bond to the reader and then kill him/her off. This would bring a huge uproar to communities and modern authors are kinda forced to meet the needs of their 'fanbase' instead of doing what they want.

Obviously, exceptions do exist, but because of lacking fanbase in the main selling country (japan) those do not really get through. Allthough some awesome mangas are out there, just,sadly, not very popular.

Personally, I feel like them killing off characters should be received fine by the fans. Death is a very prevalent theme within the series, and they make it clear multiple times that anyone could die at anytime in this line of work. I feel like people who do become fans need to accept this (unless it's Esdeath, please never die), as that's what the whole show is about, really, the ever-prevalent thought of death.

Still, I doubt the producers don't want you to feel anything during their deaths. It feels as if they really are trying to get you to sympathise for these characters.

Moar spoilers

The main appeal of the series is gore as well as death. The small fanbase accepts this, and those that can't probably aren't hardcore fans.

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 9:02am | Report
Your last statement kinda sounds like elitism.
It is not a small fanbase, and they are definitely not about being hardcore.

Akame ga Kill is a shounen. Fact.
A shounen will most likely not go into deep symbolics or serious confrontation (as we can see in AgK).

In the course of this thread, I defended AgK several times against Searz statements.
But you can't ignore that it is just a shounen.
And you sir, with the last statement of the series' appeal being gore and death, show how the aim on shounen certainly found it's target group.
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 1:25pm | Report
xIchi wrote:
Your last statement kinda sounds like elitism.
It is not a small fanbase, and they are definitely not about being hardcore.

Akame ga Kill is a shounen. Fact.
A shounen will most likely not go into deep symbolics or serious confrontation (as we can see in AgK).

In the course of this thread, I defended AgK several times against Searz statements.
But you can't ignore that it is just a shounen.
And you sir, with the last statement of the series' appeal being gore and death, show how the aim on shounen certainly found it's target group.

Please, don't get me wrong. I love Akame ga Kill. After coming off such brain-draining series such as Zetsubou Sensei and Penguindrum, I was just looking for a fun, action anime that really made me feel invigorated.

Ultimately, what matters is enjoyment of the series, and Akame ga Kill has provided more than enough enjoyment for it to be a worthwhile watch. I mean, a good story and depth in characters does contribute to enjoyment and lasting appeal, but who cares about that when what Akame ga Kill already has is fantastic.

However, just because it's a shonen doesn't mean it can't be perfect. A shonen can still have a great, paced out story. A shonen can still have good character development. A shonen can still make us give a damn about characters when they die without thrusting some kind of backstory just as they die.

I think Akame ga Kill is amazing. I'm probably hooked on it as much as you are. See my attitudes as tough love I suppose. But even with so much potential for bias considering how much I am obsessed with the series, the flaws still need to be recognised. The flaws in the series don't affect some people as much as others. Some people might just constantly search a series with a fantastic and deep story with lots of twists and turns, or a series with stylised and badass action scenes with gore and death everywhere such as Akame ga Kill. Depending on what you are looking for, the flaws change their impact on a person's enjoyment on the series.
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 3:39pm | Report
If I am looking for a dark story that is supposed to draw me in exactly because of gore and death, I'd choose Terraformers or anything more seinen heavy.

I do like AgK, but it's flaws just added up to the point of it not being enjoyable anymore.
When I started reading this series I was mostly interested in Tatsumi and Esdese, now I just want the story to progress as it kinda hit a brickwall now and slowed down.

No confrontations or any debate about the 'evil', no real explaination.
And we still don't know much about the organisation as a whole, only of Night Raid, which is a small group.
Which does not mean that it cannot include great paced story and good character developement.
But in this case, AgK fails and it's only appeal is starting to crumble.
Started it cause it seemed like a dark and either insane or deep story.
Turned into a stereotypical shounen that is just a bit darkish.

Ultimately, D.Gray Man would be a perfect example of a shounen doing it mostly right with the construct of the theme of 'evil' and death as Allan Walker is confronted alot with what is actually evil and if he himself is right (without falling into suffering **** like other shounen MCs (Guilty Crown, Sword Art Online, Accel World, Black Bullet etc.)
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 5:09pm | Report
xIchi wrote:
If I am looking for a dark story that is supposed to draw me in exactly because of gore and death, I'd choose Terraformers or anything more seinen heavy.

I do like AgK, but it's flaws just added up to the point of it not being enjoyable anymore.
When I started reading this series I was mostly interested in Tatsumi and Esdese, now I just want the story to progress as it kinda hit a brickwall now and slowed down.

And we still don't know much about the organisation as a whole, only of Night Raid, which is a small group.
Which does not mean that it cannot include great paced story and good character developement.
But in this case, AgK fails and it's only appeal is starting to crumble.

Ultimately, D.Gray Man would be a perfect example of a shounen doing it mostly right with the construct of the theme of 'evil' and death as Allan Walker is confronted alot with what is actually evil and if he himself is right (without falling into suffering **** like other shounen MCs (Guilty Crown, Sword Art Online, Accel World, Black Bullet etc.)

Fair enough. I'm still watching it for the action sequences. The next episode between Seryu and Mein (Mine?) will be good, even though I already know the outcome.

The action scenes are more than good enough for me at least to continue following it (I don't know if they're higher or lower end in terms of how good they are since I don't watch much action).

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 7, 2014 5:26am | Report
xIchi wrote:
in this case, AgK fails and it's only appeal is starting to crumble.

... Hey, it's been that way since the start. You just took way too long to notice.
Quoted:
Ultimately, D.Gray Man would be a perfect example of a shounen doing it mostly right with the construct of the theme of 'evil' and death as Allan Walker is confronted alot with what is actually evil and if he himself is right without falling into suffering **** like other shounen MCs

I gotta disagree on that one. It's certainly better than AgK!, but it really suffers from poorly defined story. The story is all over the place, jumping from scene to scene with little connecting them and many parts don't seem to make any real sense.
I can't remember the specifics since it's been a few years since I read it, but there's just a lot of stuff that turns up out of nowhere, like the author didn't really plan his story out before writing it down.
It's not bad though, it has great art in the more recent chapters and the characters are compelling enough to keep me reading for ~300chapters. Overall I'd say it's pretty decent.
The main appeal of the series is gore as well as death. The small fanbase accepts this, and those that can't probably aren't hardcore fans.

I can accept that, in fact I quite like it when those are done well. The problem is that AgK! just doesn't do them well. The writing in general is pretty bad.
a good story and depth in characters does contribute to enjoyment and lasting appeal, but who cares about that when what Akame ga Kill already has is fantastic.

What does it really have, now that you think about it?
Simplistic story? Predictable story? Bad pacing? Shallow combat? Plenty of stereotypes?
I'm sure I could go on, but so far I've seen nothing that redeems this series.
There are just far better series out there. This is not worth your time and certainly not your praise.
Quoted:
The action scenes are more than good enough for me at least to continue following it (I don't know if they're higher or lower end in terms of how good they are since I don't watch much action).

They're probably around the middle from what I've seen. I'm not watching the anime though, nor do I watch a lot of anime in general. I tend to read the manga instead, because anime often does a poor job at adapting the source material. AgK! seems like a very faithful adaptation though.
"I'm ebolakin. You can refer to me as Ebola-Chan." - Vurtax

"I also am Otherkin. Whenever autumn rolls around I can feel my kin-type slowly taking over my body. You must know, I identify as pumpkin. I can control it pretty good most of the time, but when September ends, I just cant hold it in anymore. Whenever Im outside I see my brothers and sisters being chopped into soup, coffee, donuts, cake, drinks, bread - ppl even cut human faces into their skin, making a mockery out of their noble appearance. When I see things like that I cant control my pumpkin urges anymore. My natural instincts kick in. I then sit down motionless, while getting bright orange." - Morgana L
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 7, 2014 2:57pm | Report
Searz wrote:

I can accept that, in fact I quite like it when those are done well. The problem is that AgK! just doesn't do them well. The writing in general is pretty bad.

Eh, I guess I can't argue with that, but at least it has KAWAII AS **** GIRLS *errhem* respectable women. But seriously, story wise, it's very shallow, I have to admit. They say that it has good character development. Contrary to popular belief, dumping a character's backstory onto us isn't character development. We're just finding out more about the character. The only characters with development are pretty much Chelsea and Tatsumi. The others literally did not change their personalities over the course of the series.
Searz wrote:

What does it really have, now that you think about it?
Simplistic story? Predictable story? Bad pacing? Shallow combat? Plenty of stereotypes?
I'm sure I could go on, but so far I've seen nothing that redeems this series.
There are just far better series out there. This is not worth your time and certainly not your praise.

Hence, why I said what it does have (that exceeds). What I'm saying is more on the lines of, it doesn't have a good story, it doesn't have good character development, but what it does have, in my opinion, is that it provides decent enjoyment. The most important thing is simply enjoying a series. There's no issue with a series that doesn't aim to make a lasting appeal and just wants you to have fun while watching it (Although the death scenes is definitely their less than successful attempt at trying to make it leave an impression).

As I am watching the series, I love it. It's just such a fun ride to be in, watching the characters all be badass and all, it just makes me feel incredibly invigorated. The ecchi scenes action scenes are adrenaline pumping. But what we can't judge for sure is within six months when the series is well over, how will I still be towards the anime. There have been series like Clannad AS and True Tears that after a while, I looked back and thought, "You know what, they actually weren't as great as I thought it was." I love Akame ga Kill right now, but when the series is over and there's no more awesome fight scenes to anticipate, then I don't know if I'll still be in love with it as much as I am now.
Quoted:
They're probably around the middle from what I've seen. I'm not watching the anime though, nor do I watch a lot of anime in general. I tend to read the manga instead, because anime often does a poor job at adapting the source material. AgK! seems like a very faithful adaptation though.

I can't read manga for action series, only drama and romance series. I just feel that manga doesn't capture the action well enough for me to picture it.

The good thing about the scenes is that they just dive straight into it. It's not something like, uh... Naruto I guess, which hypes up the scene with three episodes of talking, finally gets to some good action for a five minutes and finishes the rest of the episode with more talking. Dialogue is good (granted it's written well), but sometimes you just get sick of it, and you just want to see some fighting. Akame ga Kill is good at that, there's no nonsense, just killing (starting to sound sadistic). And like I've said, they really like to glorify death, which makes for a lot of very badass scenes.
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
ri]
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 7, 2014 4:22pm | Report
Oh right, Ichi, if you want a damn near perfect example of a shounen you need not look any further than Onepunch-Man :)

Edit: hmmm, Batoto calls Onepunch-Man a seinen.. I thought it was a shounen D: Many other people have referred to it as such :(
Eh, I guess I can't argue with that, but at least it has KAWAII AS **** GIRLS

I can't argue with that :)
But that's not why I read manga or watch anime, so it has little effect on me.
Quoted:
What I'm saying is more on the lines of, it doesn't have a good story, it doesn't have good character development, but what it does have, in my opinion, is that it provides decent enjoyment. The most important thing is simply enjoying a series. There's no issue with a series that doesn't aim to make a lasting appeal and just wants you to have fun while watching it (Although the death scenes is definitely their less than successful attempt at trying to make it leave an impression).

Well.. You're kind of pointing out major flaws yourself. If pure enjoyment is what you'd like then there are better series for that too. In fact, I know of a great comedy anime called Nichijou. I've laughed my *** off to that many times. And as a bonus there are "KAWAI AS **** GIRLS" in it, seeing as you seem to be into that sort of thing.
Quoted:
I can't read manga for action series, only drama and romance series. I just feel that manga doesn't capture the action well enough for me to picture it.

I'd say that depends on the art.

People have jokingly been saying that Onepunch-Man has a higher "framerate" than many anime :D
It has fantastic art and there are very few series that are able to match it.
Another series with mindblowingly good art is Berserk (a few volumes in is where it gets really good). It captures movement and power sooooo much better than most manga that only draw lines to indicate movement/speed (*cough*Naruto, Bleach and so on*cough*).
I thoroughly recommend reading both the above.
Onepunch-Man is a comedy action manga.
Berserk is a dark fantasy adventure manga.
Trigger warning on Berserk: it deals with some seriously dark subject matter, and does so really, really well. If you get past the first 2.5 volumes of Berserk then I will guarantee that you'll be hooked. The first arc (contained in those volumes) is by far the worst in the entire series so far, and even then it's pretty good.
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 7, 2014 4:38pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Well.. You're kind of pointing out major flaws yourself. If pure enjoyment is what you'd like then there are better series for that too. In fact, I know of a great comedy anime called Nichijou. I've laughed my *** off to that many times. And as a bonus there are "KAWAI AS **** GIRLS" in it, seeing as you seem to be into that sort of thing.

I am aware of Nichijou :3 It's been getting a lot of poularity recently. The issue is that I'm a bit hesitant with comedy series like those, because I've often just found them to be not funny. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was actually a chore for me to watch.

But yes, enjoyment is a major factor to why I like series. That's why I like some series more than Akame ga Kill :P Like I said, a good story and good characters all contribute to the enjoyment of the series.
Searz wrote:

I'd say that depends on the art.
People have jokingly been saying that Onepunch-Man has a higher "framerate" than many anime :D
It has fantastic art and there are very few series that are able to match it.
Another series with mindblowingly good art is Berserk. It captures movement and power sooooo much better than most manga that only draw lines to indicate movement/speed (*cough*Naruto, Bleach and so on*cough*).
I thoroughly recommend reading both the above.
Onepunch-Man is a comedy action manga.
Berserk is a dark fantasy adventure manga.
Trigger warning on Berserk: it deals with some seriously dark subject matter, and does so really, really well. If you get past the first 2.5 volumes of Berserk then I will guarantee that you'll be hooked. The first arc (contained in those volumes) is by far the worst in the entire series so far, and even then it's pretty good.

Fair enough. I'm still very early into Higurashi, but I might read them afterwards. Berserk is one that I am aware of since it is the top-rated manga on MAL after all. The anime adaptation has not received the same amount as praise as the manga though.
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
ri]
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 7, 2014 4:57pm | Report
Fair enough. I'm still very early into Higurashi, but I might read them afterwards. Berserk is one that I am aware of since it is the top-rated manga on MAL after all.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the MAL ratings.
I've read about half the series in the top 30 and roughly half of the ones I've read do not belong in that list.
Series that have no place even near that list: Tokyo Ghoul and Skip Beat!.
Series that are good, but not great: Wata****achi no Shiawase na Jikan, Orange, Slam Dunk and Death Note.

Of course there are series that no doubt deserve to be on there too (FMA, Vagabond, Onepunch-Man and Real), but it's basically a popularity contest that indicates popularity more than it indicates quality.
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide