Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Mobafire homework central.

Creator: Pølsemanden April 17, 2013 9:01pm
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 7:02am | Report
LaronX wrote:

Must resist to make witty comment about doing or rather not doing homework....

Let's try to help instead:

jhoijhoi:

For the first week you might want to add social and economy riot.
Just think how people react when they hear that there town is gone get hit by a tornado. Everyone would run crazy to buy stuff like food and water.

I know some words of week 2-6 but I would add the fact that you need to use the microorganisms to "form" your new world therefor you would need research while looking for a place if you can it the way you need it to be with the technology you have.

In the case of Mars there are thoughts about smacking the fist settlements in biospheres and trying to cultivate highly resistive plants outside ( very unrealistic but the US has money to burn)

Another option are bacteria . Cyanobacteria to be exact. They take less space then any other oxygen producing organism and can be used to produce large amounts of O2 over a the course of time. This is also being toyed with as oxygen source for long space travels.

Other stuff to remember when doing a settlement on mars include:

Water: The only visible source atm are polar caps. Rising the temperature of the planet ( along side with giving it an earth like atmosphere) is a very popular scenario but kind of unrealistic because the gravity of mares might not be big enough to hold an atmosphere like the earth has.
The other hope is that water is all over the planted just frozen under the surface invisible as it is to deep for the rovers to dig.

Mars storms: Those things are scary and you have to plane the location of your settlements so you don't get blowen away.

Earth Mars coordination: You can't just set of and send all people at once. There has to be a "gray" phase after the first people landed and you start to make you move. The travel to the mars can vary in time from 8 months to way to long. So you need to coordination when stuff goes over and when you send the people etc.

If you need pictures of the Mars you might want to check out both opportunity(still rolling around there) and Spirit( died 2010) they made some very impressive pictures of Mars.

Hope this helps.

cyanobacteria have a serious problem related to them and that is what gives them the name. they produce cyanide derivates, heavilly poisonous and I really don't think you want such a start. Besides you have to provide preexisting organic material.

Much better option is what is used in space as air recycling units, de-oxidizing Co2 (Mars is 96% rich in carbon Dioxide), turning it to breathable oxigen. Also wheat production is a very efficient way to get oxigen (and food, in case you are human and need to eat). the main problem will probably be water, but this is solvable if you resort your self to marcian poles.

i hope jhoi sees this soon because cyanobacteria is a terrible idea.

International Space Station Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS)

Sig made by elenah
DKitten
<Member>
DKitten's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 7:11am | Report
You can breed the cyanotoxic production out of bacteria with a little genetic splicing, considering only some cyanobacteria produce it in the first place.
Build Guides:

Humor Guides:

Welcome to the wonderful world of supports. How can I help you today?
Hogopogo
<Altruistic Artist>
Hogopogo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 7:13am | Report

I love how Google doesn't work properly every time in China...

:D For me it works it works it works then when I click a link I can't reach the server :P

On topic: I won't be much help :P
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 9:58am | Report
Quoted:

English assignment about some black guy making a presentation about american black people to an english university - you're his assistant writing a manuscript, i'd like some help with the grammar and stuff like that since i think a lot of it might be wrong. The level is high-school(athink)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NoNANraaDZ_vuLFCTd4I6txewB_Fa4minPubihV8XTk

Thank you in advance to anyone who'd like to help.

Your Google doc is locked, Polse, so we can't even view it to comment. You might wanna' change that. I requested permission for access, regardless.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
LaronX
<Member>
LaronX's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 10:44am | Report
@Pheyniex: What DKitten said. The issu with recyling unites is that they are expensive and need quite some energy to work both things you don't want in a place that has no Infrastructure. It is not like you could simple erreact a power plante. For the first few years you would have to work on regentiv basis because you can't take tons of equipment with you and you can't expext to many supplys to come from the earth.

@Jhoijhoi: Glad I could help. And yes. If we had like 4 weeks to pull this of we would be doomed even a year would be to less. I dunno what to tell you regarding the time. Estimates vary from 5-20 years. The main concern is what you can actully make stay and how much energy you can gerate that won't be used to survive as that seems to be very possible at this point but not worth it if you can't do anything besied being there.
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 12:44pm | Report
LaronX wrote:

@Pheyniex: What DKitten said. The issu with recyling unites is that they are expensive and need quite some energy to work both things you don't want in a place that has no Infrastructure. It is not like you could simple erreact a power plante. For the first few years you would have to work on regentiv basis because you can't take tons of equipment with you and you can't expext to many supplys to come from the earth.

therefore you think that cultivating a certain species of bacteria, is just simply going to throw out oxigen, besides nefarious subtances?
your starting infrastructure is your landing vessel. you'll have to keep landing vessels until you are capable of mining resources and treat them to usable materials. Are you sure you want to introduce toxic bacteria when your vessels already carry equipment for it? for what, poison the water you drink so you expend more energy/processes on purifying it?

i'd rather smoke cigarrettes.

you can suggest other algi, but certainly not cyanobacteria. Besides, i'd dare you to eat them. otherwise, i expect you to have other food source.

Sig made by Aquilegia
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 1:36pm | Report
Spoiler: Click to view
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 2:11pm | Report
polse instead of saying "black people" change it to "African Americans" in every instance of that essay

also i would put "the white man" in quotation marks in your essay

" that black successful individuals" i would change that to "that successful black individuals" it looks better writing it that way
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 3:05pm | Report
I'll just annotate this. I'm going ahead and making Dill's suggestion to change "black people" to "African Americans", as well. Everything I add or change will be in red, and I'll put comments (also in red) {in curly braces}. I'm gonna' be really nitpicky, so feel free to disregard anything you don't agree with or like.

Spoiler: Click to view

I added linebreaks so I could see what I was doin' easier.

I got tired of marking contractions part way through. I think, Polse, you'd be best served by getting rid of nearly all of them, but it's really your call.

I'm also a big fan of the serial comma (where you say "one, two, and three" instead of "one, two and three"), so I highly suggest using it. I didn't mark these, though, because technically either way is right in Amuricah.

Finally, I want to mention that the bit where you quote your theoretical audience and then mirror what the audience said is really, really good. Do not change that part. (Except for punctuation and such.)
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2013 4:04pm | Report
Hey guys, thanks for the discussion about bacteria. I think that's a great lesson to add in - students can research the most viable method of "converting" the atmosphere in a bio-dome; would cynobacteria be a feasible choice? If not, why?

Polse, pretty much everything Baka said is right. I'd just like to make a few general sweeping statements about it, and I'd also love to see your speech when you've edited to reflect Baka's annotations.

1) What sort of language are you supposed to be using here? If it is an informal speech, given to a lecture hall of students, say, then colloquial words are fine. However, if this is a speech to congress or something similar, perhaps even addressing a news reporter, the language should be a tad more formal and scientific.

2) Even though this is a script, you need to have your references in there. Where did you get this information? Are you just generalising? Are you making it up?

3) You probably didn't intend for this to be racist-sounding, but it really, really, really is. Instead of approaching this as a "reform", instead of thinking via the deficit model, think of it through an ideology of hope. ALL of your wording is negative. It's extremely condescending. Listen to this:

"It's not their fault that white kids are fat. They grow up in a society where fast food is readily available and their mom's and dad's are out working in high-paid jobs so have no time for family, let alone cooking a nutritious meal. But we can teach white kids to eat right. We can help them. If given a helping hand, they will climb the stairway of success! We only need to show them skinny white adults. If given proper role models (((((indicating they don't have proper role models at home))))), white kids can be JUST as athletic as black kids. It is scientifically proven that black kids can run faster, jump higher and go harder. All we need to do is make white kids more like black kids."

Do you see how racist and condescending that paragraph is? It's pretty much snippets of your speech, but rewritten to "favour" black people. You need to try and avoid negative language. So for example, this is the above paragraph written to be "neutral"/positive:

"There is a rising increase of obese Caucasian American children (REFERENCE). A plethora of factors have contributed to this epidemic: lack of nutritional education in school, availability of high-calorie, high-fat, low-cost fast food franchises, and the diminishing importance of exercise to children due to technological advances in social media, games and television. Awareness of this epidemic is necessary to halt the increase of obese children in America."

Here I've set the scene, told you exactly what the speech will be about: white obese kids. I've then told you the three points I'll be covering during the speech. And lastly, I mentioned what I'll be talking about in the conclusion: awareness.

I hope this has helped :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide