Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Galio: Mid or Top?

Creator: Re4XN July 13, 2015 12:05pm
1 2
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2015 12:05pm | Report
Probably going to write a guide and I am trying to gather as much information as possible. I have been playing nothing but Galio in the past 2 weeks (obviously an exaggeration) and I have tried him both Top and Mid lane with similar results.

Basically, if you play him Mid Lane, your opponent will (most likely) be AP, allowing you to take advantage off of Runic Skin, whereas if you go Top Lane (not counting champs like Maokai,...) your opponent will be most likely AD, meaning you'll have to get some armour early on and your passive won't be used to it's fullest.

My friends keep insisting he's a Top Laner because he's labeled as a "Tank", but I still feel like Mid Lane is the best position for Galio because it allows you to build MR while receiving bonus AP from his Runic Skin, cutting your efforts in half.

EDIT: How do you feel about Tear of the Goddess on Galio? I tried it out against an AD lane and it worked wonders (I later upgraded it into Seraph's Embrace).
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 15, 2015 8:29am | Report
Galio is usually considered a mid laner for the reasons you gave. Of course, he can do decently top if he's up against an AP opponent like teemo, vlad or maokai.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 15, 2015 8:32am | Report
I've seen AP jungle Galio be viable too.
I know it's not part of the topic but still........

Basically MOBAFire.
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 18, 2015 12:35am | Report
generally better top, has a lot of bad matchups mid.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 18, 2015 2:50am | Report
Galio is a situational champion anyway that you pick to specificly counter enemies.
DBlakes30
<Member>
DBlakes30's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 18, 2015 8:11am | Report
I really like Galio as a champion but I think NicknameMy is right when it comes to him being situational. I think with the mid meta right now, having to play strong assassin or high dps mid laners, Galio just doesn't fit into it too well. He could be a really strong counter pick top lane into Vladimir, Rumble, and Ryze but he isn't someone you would first pick. I personally want to start seeing him support against the ap mages and the mixed damage adc's like Corki.
Main Jungle
Silver III
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 18, 2015 1:40pm | Report
Just to give an example, I did some random draft picks last week (didn't want to risk running into Yasuos YET) and picked Galio against every single LeBlanc I met. They couldn't kill me and roaming was litteraly impossible for them without suffering at least one casualty from my ultimate. Yes, I agree that Galio is a counter-pick, mainly because he sucks against AD laners (like that Yasuo I mentioned), but his damage is super-high against every single mid-laner and he does have assasination burst damage (moreover, his spells are all AoE, meaning that if you land your ult and Resolute Smite well, you can insta-kill 2 or even 3 targets). Granted, building Galio with a ton of AP isn't necessarily the best way (because it leaves you "squishy"), but that's why you have a tank on your team, right?

Also, no-one has answered my Tear of the Goddess proposal :/
NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2015 3:00am | Report
Tear of the Goddess sucks on him as he has no spamable spells to stack it. And why would you not go for Athene's Unholy Grail on Galio? Of course, the MR doesn't help vs AD Laners but for what Seeker's Armguard exist? All other occassions should be good with Bulwark's huge resistances anyway.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2015 6:39am | Report
What I have been doing SO FAR:

AD Mid: Seeker's Armguard > Morellonomicon (Athene's is pretty much useless unless they have a good source of magic damage)

AP Mid: Athene's Unholy Grail > rest of the stuff

Building Athene's vs an AD laner is a really bad idea. I think Morellonomicon is a far better option, right after getting Seeker's Armguard.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with you on Galio not having spam abilities to effectively stack Tear of the Goddess. Provided your jungler isn't a complete ar*e and you have access to Blue Buff, it is easy to stack it. But I'm going to have to play some more games to see the time it takes to stack vs how efficient it is...
NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2015 11:13am | Report
If the enemy team doesn't have a good source of magic damage, why you are playing Galio again? That is like playing Taric against Sivir + Morgana + Rumble + Nidalee + Orianna.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide