Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Lowish ELO : Garen too stronk?

Creator: drunken0elf February 9, 2013 6:27am
1 2 3 4 5
drunken0elf
<Member>
drunken0elf's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 9, 2013 6:27am | Report
No this is not a butthurt thread. I am concerned for lower elo people. In the beginning of S3 I got ranked into bronze 1, yesterday moved up to silver 5, and I need to say I destroyed my way to silver 5. Out of 10 games I lost 2 and thats because I was support (no, not cause I suck at support, just because I can't carry with Taric that well).

I haven't lost a lane with Garen yet. The increased price of armor and magic resistence items and lower prices on health buff the hell out of Garen. With his W passive you only need 1 mr and ar item. That's all. I include Ninja tabies and merc treads in there. I sit tight and farm and gradually ar*** my opponent the closer I am to level 6. Once level 6 reached, lane won maneuver is engaged, I wombo combo the enemies ***, recall, and come back to lane with boots level 2 and a giants belt. The game has officially just been won. None of the topers I've faced yet have been able to handle me after I bought my giants belt. I can easily fend ofa 2v1 lane when the jungler decideds to hop in. I simply q and run away. I'm so tanky that they can't kill me.

Funny thing is, I rock 0-30-0 masteries with Garen. You might say, well bronze 1, thats lowish skill level. I've played with my silver 1 friend and have faced silver 1 solo toppers and completely crushed them with Off-tank Garen. He needs a nerf on his passive or something. I'm 100% sure I can easily use Garen to carry myself to high rank Silver. He might not be so viable in Gold, but right now, in low elo play, he's way too powerful. I'm the living proof. 5 games in a row I have not died more then once and easily won.

Thanks to Amazing Monkey for the sig. Just like his name, he's amazing
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 9, 2013 9:50am | Report
This game is balanced onto diamond and competetive play. Come back if you are there.
He is gonna kill you!!!
DarkPercy
<Member>
DarkPercy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 9, 2013 12:10pm | Report
There are many champions that destroy in low elo, Garen isn't the only one.

DarkPercy wrote:

I can go play AP Olaf and go from Bronze I to Silver V.

I was joking lol. The point is anything is good if you know how to play.
Nighthawk:

quit flirting with my waifu

or i'll fight you

TO THE DEATH

Aseafy
<Member>
Aseafy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 9, 2013 9:40pm | Report
ches just saying that its easier to stomp with garen. and no, u wudnt stomp as hard with ap olaf :p.

I know hes not high elo but whatever man, its fine. He's not saying he's super high elo and hes the best player ever :p
In-depth guide to the Twisted Treeline - Whether you want to play competitively or for fun (:
Find the fun of ranked 3's by clicking here!

Thank you to The Nameless Bard for my signature!
CounterSnipe
<Member>
CounterSnipe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 10, 2013 1:03am | Report
The thing is you're not playing against people who know the match ups and lane control. People will just go on championselect.net, look up a counter, and play it without knowing why it's a counter.

For example, everyone thinks Kayle beats darius top lane because of her poke... But if you actually look at the numbers stat for stat, Darius has a severe advantage over Kayle and will win the match up. Trick? Pull when she uses Q. They have the same range. Most darius players just take the Q and the E shots and say gg. Same thing with Garen in low elo. People just take the spin and don't bother to attack him every 7 seconds to block his passive.

Once you start playing better players Garen will become less reliable and you will have to start to play champions with more utility in their kits than kits that have flat stats. Ie) Riven and Darius.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 10, 2013 1:06am | Report
A 2,5 seconds silence is a good utility tool. And lategame, Garen has a good tankyness to damage ratio, thanks to his OP Courage(which he needs to be viable) and Judgment scaling with crit.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 10, 2013 1:36am | Report

For example, everyone thinks Kayle beats darius top lane because of her poke... But if you actually look at the numbers stat for stat, Darius has a severe advantage over Kayle and will win the match up. Trick? Pull when she uses Q. They have the same range. Most darius players just take the Q and the E shots and say gg. Same thing with Garen in low elo. People just take the spin and don't bother to attack him every 7 seconds to block his passive.

I thought it was because Kayle has great gank reception while Darius has no escapes, Kayle's ult can completely nullify the damage of Darius' ult when they both hit 6 and blocks his reset in team fights and if Darius misses a pull in laning phase, he's a sitting duck for the next 24 seconds.
Thanks to Minho for the sig!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 10, 2013 1:40am | Report
@OP: I beat a pretty standard garen top (tanky with sunfire and stuff, not sure what you're building on him) with AP Xin Zhao on my smurf. He's really not super hard to deal with unless you get stuck with a weak top laner that he can beat. I think he's probably better than a lot of people think, but he's not top tier material at all. I don't think he needs any balance changes. If he did, I would expect a small buff, not nerfs.
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 10, 2013 2:55am | Report
Sunfire Aegis on Garen? Against which type of noobs do you play? Garen needs Black Cleaver, Randuin's Omen and Infinity Edge as core. And since his changes some patches ago, his lategame is scarier than his earlygame.
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 10, 2013 9:21am | Report
NicknameMy wrote:

Sunfire Aegis on Garen? Against which type of noobs do you play?

yup thats about the dumbest thing ive heard you say so far

and that's saying a lot
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide