Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

PSA: stop building Nocturne full DPS!!one1

Creator: Flubadoo August 1, 2011 8:08pm
1 2 3
Flubadoo
<Member>
Flubadoo's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 8:08pm | Report
100% of Nocturnes I see build full glass cannon. I'm not sure about Mobafire and how you guys build him, but *******, everyone builds him like Ashe or something.

That's dumb.

With your kit you have tons of innate damage. With your ult, you can jump onto whoever you want on the enemy team. That means you can jump onto their Ashe. But when you do this full glass cannon Nocturd. he implodes and dies. Tanky DPS Nocturne basically allows you to capitalize upon that advantage and destroy that carry.

Core:

Wriggle's Lantern
Mercury Treads
HoG
Phage
Recurve Bow

Then you build a Randuin's Omen, Frozen Mallet, Wit's End, Atma's, and then sell your Wriggle's for a Atma's Impaler. Build those in the order that the game is going in. Of course, that's the ideal build vs. a balanced team, but it definitely can change up a bit.

You end up with 243 armor, 153~ MR, 3k HP, 201 AD, 42 onhit damage, 18% crit, and decent AS.

Every single game I just jump onto the carries sitting smugly at the back of their team, disregard everyone else, kill them, run out of the teamfight if I'm low, then come back to clean up. Even the hp you get from Phage and HoG midgame will make you quite tanky compared to others. In midgame if you just have a Frozen Mallet and Wriggle's as your only DPS items, you can still eat the enemy carries alive due to 55 AD and 40-80% AS from your skills.

DPS Nocturne has almost no advantages compared to Tanky DPS, since you sort of explode if you initiate with your ultimate, making it only useful for cleaning up or killstealing, which isn't where it shines. Yes, you do tons of damage at first glance, but you'll get focused or kited to hell making you actually deal less damage than Tanky DPS nocturne since he can survive to deal tons of damage.

Every time I see glass cannon nocturne I seriously cringe.

EDIT:

RESULTS!!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 4:57am | Report
I've been building Noc tanky like this from the start.

Randuin and Wit's End both seem meh to me. I'd replace them with Banshee's Veil (7.5AD from Atma) and Youmuu's Ghostblade. Ghostblade is CORE in such a build imo (just effin' perfect item).
And without selling Wriggles (unless I got enough for a Trinity Force).

His initiate with ult and Frozen Mallet is just godlike.
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:11am | Report
100% agree with you.

I always build Noc tanky. I've been experimenting with Frozen Mallet myself recently, but in my usual build I go with Youmuu's, BF Sword if I'm fed, then pure bulk.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 10:39am | Report
Nocturne is an assassin.

Maybe you just lack the forethought of an assassin. Your job is to gank lanes and to flank the enemy squishy during team fights AFTER the tank initiates.

Good Nocturnes will perform well without building tanky.
They'd only need the standard Banshee's Veil or Guardian Angel that any good build has.

Building full DPS is more viable if you have the skills to back in up.
OP, you're just building tanky because you lack playstyle to do that. It's like trying to solo with Soraka or AP carry with Maokai. It works... but it's not the best way to play that character.

edit:

I will however, note that Nocturne makes a good tank if you build pure tanky.
He can absorb some damage with Shroud of Darkness, initiates amazingly with Paranoia + Unspeakable Horror to CC a target and offers an appealing target that enemies will focus.

Same as how Tank Kennen works.
Mark of the Storm + Lightning Rush + Slicing Maelstrom lets you initiate + deal massive CC, while he naturally draws aggro with his squishy form.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 11:29am | Report
Tank Nocturne is very viable even in high elo.
DPS is still just as viable, just get what your team needs.
The moment a religious person unknowingly calls his own ways stupid: "And lol. I highly doubt you have magic powers. If you proved it I would believe you, but since you 'refuse to', I choose not to."
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 1:49pm | Report
DanDinh has been playing nocturne a lot, build a Wriggle's Lantern, Youmuu's Ghostblade, then an Aegis of the Legion. I think this is best to capitalize on nocturne's great ganks, then building more defense when teamfights roll around.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Flubadoo
<Member>
Flubadoo's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 1:54pm | Report
Searz wrote:

I've been building Noc tanky like this from the start.

Randuin and Wit's End both seem meh to me. I'd replace them with Banshee's Veil (7.5AD from Atma) and Youmuu's Ghostblade. Ghostblade is CORE in such a build imo (just effin' perfect item).
And without selling Wriggles (unless I got enough for a Trinity Force).

His initiate with ult and Frozen Mallet is just godlike.

imo, Wit's End is better than BV since you get the same MR, and you only lack the spell shield and 375 hp, which isn't that big of a deal once you already have 3k hp, and 40 AS and 42 onhit damage + 50 MR is just godly for 2000 gold.

Ghostblade is a pretty meh item since even with the active, it deals much less dps than the Black Cleaver. Nocturne already has a speed boost and slow from Frozen Mallet. More would just be unneccessary. CDR also isn't that essential on him.

Randuin's I almost always get because in games I play, the AD carries always seem to be pulling the load along with the tanky dps. It's AOE slow and AS reduction is also really strong.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 2:10pm | Report
You need to attack 4 times for Wit's End to give 50MR.
Ghostblade deals MORE DPS (with the active) and damage than TBC on Nocturne. Physical abilities brah.
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
Pwnzor1130
<Member>
Pwnzor1130's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2011 9:42pm | Report
I typically build Nocturne full DPS with 1 defensive item (pretty much a standard carry build with banshee's or GA if I really need it) most of the time because I can get away with it. Although I have been thinking of another build lately that ends up Randuin's Omen, Mercury's Treads, Trinity Force, Wit's End, Atma's Impaler, Youmuu's Ghostblade. Basically, a slightly modified version of my Irelia build. Would that work? I noticed some similarities between Irelia's kit and thought I could try building them similarly.

Thanks to The Nameless Bard and Vavena for the sigs!
Flubadoo
<Member>
Flubadoo's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2011 2:14pm | Report
I was watching Go4LoL yesterday and I've seen lots of Nocturne play.

H4ckerv2 (playing for TGM) kept initiating with almost no survivability items and always ended up just spellshielding and running away after doing so with almost no health, and barely hurting the carry, being useless for the rest of the fight and letting their GOD Singed carry the hell outta their team.

And while 15 armor pen helps on his two damage abilities (ult and Q), the extra AD from TBC helps more than 15 armor pen, and the passive on TBC would still make it deal much more damage over time anyways. Nocturne's damage mostly comes from his autoattacks, and his abilities don't deal that much damage, just have tons of utility and steroids. Even if you factored abilities into DPS, Ghostblade's 15 armor pen would not make enough of a difference to the damage of the abilities to increase DPS over TBC.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide