Trundle Build Guide by abboz
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
+10% Attack Speed
+15-90 HP (lvls 1-18)
Threats & Synergies
you beat her in a 1 v 1. Dont let her push you into a wall. Her w is useless againt you. Ult her
Ult him and beat him down. Dont let him burst you if he is going that build by using ult early
Steal stats with ult. Dont fight him if you dont have ult
Be careful with her early game. just watch her abilities and fight her when she is ready. Make sure to dodge the outer edge of her knife. You can e and interupt her engage/escape
He is annoying in lane. In the jungle you can block his escapes and q him to reduce his aa dmg. Dodge his shrooms and use ult to outsustain.
Use your ult and stop his jump with your e
He beats you early game with his e dmg reduction and fear. Ww is also quick to come to a fight with his w. Be wary and be sure to use your e wisely to stop his engage or escape. Have r ready
Knock him up to stop his movement speed build up and build a lil health
You can kill him quite easily. His e can block your chomp but the cd is so slow it wont matter much. Fight in your w and use ult.
Her burst is scary. Dont let her get her charm off and be sure to keep vision on her
Counter jg her. Use ur e wisely. Dont get caught by her abils
He is scary. His burst makes him very strong rn. Be careful not to fight him when hes fed. Use your e to zone him and use ur r and q to steal his dmg and armor
His e negates your aa and turns into a stun. Pick your fights well and 2 v 1 him. E if he goes after your other teammate. Slow with q and steal his armor and you win
Watch for his burst. use your e to stop engage and escapes
Watch for his burst. Use your e to stop engage and escapes. Dont fight when he is procing his dmg.
She can kite you easily and can jump over your pillars. care
Dont fight when fed. Use your w and q and r. Go all out.
She has more cc and can jump over your wall. She cant kill you but it'll be hard for you to catch her.
Watch the burst. use your ult. Dont ult his clone and you win in a sustained fight
Careful with his burst. You use abils wisely. E his engage or escape and use your r
He beats you before you get your ult. After that you win. Dont let him get ahead
Avoid when his ult is up. You cant steal his tank stats with your ult cause he has none
Easy to kill if he is not fed. Watch out for is w execute and be sure to red smite him
two large area cc's with extra dmg and slows?! sign me up
his high level of burst with your e keeps the enemies in place to deal maximum dmg
his high level of cc with ur e will help you both land the damage you need to spike the enemies down
Ur e will slow the enemies for her ult and prevent them from zoning out
Champion Build Guide
[9.3] Big stick, Will Smash [Jungle]By abboz
|My username is Leechoffme and I play on the NA server and this is one of my first guides. I'll try to be in-depth and explain everything properly but if you have any questions please feel free to ask me or add me. Ive been playing Trundle ranked since 2014 and he's my go-to champ to carry, besides Volibear He's helped get me to plat and he can get you there as well! Trundle is a viable pick because of his carry potential through his vast amounts of cc and chasing power. It is very easy to get fed as him and late game he becomes a superb tank with a lot of split push, and 1 vs 1 potential. I have over 300,000 mastery points in him so I know his ins and outs pretty well. Enjoy :) ps I will update with every patch and please feel free to comment and vote; all that good stuff. Currently Trundle is standing fairly well and works very well in jg as well as in the top lane up to Diamond. I would most certainly recommend him to a new player trying to climb to gold because he is fairly simple to play up to that level.|
+ Strong early game
+ Strong Ganks
+ Great Utility
+ Super tanky/Tank Shredding through ult
|Trundle is super powerful early game and his Ult Subjugate means you can gank with less worries about dying. He also clears the jungle with high health remaining so it's easier to gank early after your first clear. don't be afraid to engage on most champs when you are level 1, 2, or 3.|
+ Easily kited
+ Low damage late game
+ Only has 1 long range cc with a lack of engage
|Trundle Can be kited, that's why this build really relies on you landing your e Pillar of Ice so you can slow them with your q Chomp|
kings tribute: // Whenever an enemy unit near Trundle dies, he heals for 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 % of their maximum health. The amount is increased at levels 5, 9, 12 and 15.
- Spirit Visage affects your passive's healing
- This can be used to bait people into inopportune fights for them.
chomp: // Trundle enhances his next basic attack, dealing 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 (+ 100 / 110 / 120 / 130 / 140 % of total AD) physical damage and slowing its target by 75% for 0.1 seconds.
This attack increases Trundle's attack damage by 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 for 5 seconds, with his opponent losing half of this amount for the same duration.
- does dmg to turrets
- resets aa
- Increases dmg for a small duration
- your main ability. Throwing on a chilling smite when you get in range will not disrupt it, and will help you catch your target with your Chomp
frozen domain: // Trundle coats a target 1000-radius location with ice for 8 seconds, gaining 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 % bonus movement speed, 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 % attack speed, and 25% increased healing and regeneration from all sources while he is on it.
- it gives movement speed, attack speed, and increased heal. Make sure you fight in this area! It is a huge part of his kit and it's high cooldown reflects how strong it is.
pillar of ice: // Trundle creates an icy pillar at a target location for 6 seconds, creating impassable terrain and slowing all enemy units by 15 / 25 / 35 / 45 / 55% around the pillar for 0.25 seconds. The slow duration is refreshed if enemies stay within the area around the pillar. Enemies caught in the center of the eruption are briefly knocked back.
- Your main ganking tool
- great for jungle to block passages and zone enemies
- max last
- is a knock up so it can interrupt enemies/proc teammates like yas that use knockups
- use it to stop champ escapes/engages such as dashes, dives, and jumps
subjugate: // Trundle drains 20 / 27.5 / 35 % (+ 2% per 100AP) of an enemy champion's max health as magic damage and 40% of their armor and magic resist, half immediately and half over 4 seconds. The armor and magic resist bonus/reduction lasts for 4 after it has been fully applied.
- this gives you a lot of health. Use it within you losing 10% of your health
- use it on an enemy tanky champion and on Frozen Domain for maximum effectiveness
I go w Frozen Domain 2nd because you need the flat rate movement speed boost to chase down champions. This ability also gives you much stronger clearing potential because of the attack speed boost. Dont forget about the increased healing while you are in the area as well!
I go e Pillar of Ice 3rd. This ability is what makes or breaks a great trundle. I will go more indepth in another chapter. This abilities is used to zone, interrupt, and knock-up enemy champions. The slow is very very important and is such a strong ability!
|skirmisher's saber - cinderhulk||This is the go to jungle item for you. You can use smite on champions and deal a little bonus true damage and it also reduces the damage that they deal to you by 20 percent. This increased ur dueling potentional. Using it doesn't slow you down which is prime which makes it good for escaping and chasing. The bonus health and passive damage to enemies around you from the cinder hulk enchantment really helps as well!.|
|This item is great because it gives you health, magic resist, and its 20% healing bonus affects your passive. this is the 3rd or 4th item you want depending on their comp after the Jg item, titantic hydra and boots|
|If the enemy team is 4 people with attack damage you need this item. It returns the damage you take and you get a ton of armor which is very very useful. It doesn't give much health which kind of sucks but you'll get health from cinder hulk, Dead Man's Plate and Spirit Visage. sometimes you want to build this before spirit visage if their ad is getting very fed. 4th or 5th item to build. Also includes grevious wounds which counters champs with high life steal. great vs a fed adc.|
|Honestly this last item is up to you. The reduce on critical strikes on you is very nice and if you're getting kited the attack speed slow helps too. the armor is good against attack damage champs and the activated component of it which slows enemies is good for escaping and sticking too your target but theres items for that like Frozen Heart Basically if you make it this far and you still need an item then get this but chances are you'll win before you need it. Make sure you buy your Elixir of Iron|
|This item, specifically Tiamat is your first back. This helps you clear jungle in almost twice the time. This helps when you're ahead and you want to stay ahead. It allows you to clear mobs fast because of the aoe dmg it supplies, and it increases even more because the health you get from it benefits your tanky nature. I rush this item after my jungle item.|
|I like using flash when I jungle with Trundle because you can use it to escape or chase over walls. you can Flash and then use your q Chomp and e Pillar of Ice and turn it into a combo and potentially a kill. It's better than Ghost because you get enough movement speed from my build and a well placed Pillar of Ice|
|Self explanatory. You need smite to jungle effectively.|
Press the Attack: This is your bread and butter. You want this because you can get 3 hits off fairly quickly. This also increases damage done to this champion by your teammates as well. This is better than conquerer in my opinion because late game transitions to team fights better, and because you are playing trundle in the jungle, you will always have at least 1 other champion on your side attacking the enemy when ganking.
Triumph: assists will now grant you bonus health back, and give you gold. NOT JUST KILLS. takedowns consist of assists as well. if you get 12% of your missing health back and you are low with a lot of hp, you can go back into the fray more quickly which can help turn a team fight.
Legend: Alacrity: The base attack speed bonus is huge as trundle needs it for early clears/late game 3 hit combos for Press the Attack
Coup de Grace: dealing more dmg to enemies with low health will make ur abilities that much stronger.
Waterwalking: Increased combat potential in the river will help you contest scuttler, dragon, and baron when facing the enemy jungler and their team.
Celerity: increased movement speed, and movement speed bonuses, are highly important for a jungler. You need the movement speed to get close to the enemy. Because of trundle's lack of engage-cc you need all the move speed you can get in order to e then q the champion. Celerity will help you gain the movement speed you need to engage on a champion, rotate, and/or escape a dangerous situation
Bot: Red->Wolves->Scuttler->Blue->Gank or gromp.
The first gank can set the pace for the rest of the game so it is very important you do it well. When I enter the game I get my first items and I rush bot lane or wherever my adc is starting. What I do is start on the side my bot is so I can get a good leash. You don't need a leash but it really helps keep your health and clear ability up so you can provide a good early gank. That means I start Blue when I'm on top team and Red when I'm on bottom team. I do not smite the first camp. I clear 3 or 4 mobs then go for the first gank. What I do is I clear Red/Blue then move to wolves, then do scuttler, then blue or red (whichever is left) in 8.12+ you need 4 camps to hit level 3 but you can still gank while you are level 2. your level 2 fighting potential is fairly high. I don't do the opposite blue or red second because it's more likely that they will go uncontested. Red gives u a nice burn/slow and blue will make sure you have enough mana to use your abilities while ganking. again, You do not smite during your leash. Save it for your later clear (your third one preferably) After I do my first wave clear I look at bot and mid and top to see which looks easier to come in on. Is the mid/bot/top lane pushing far in already and/or have low health? If they aren't that pushed in you can get the other rift scuttler to kill time and see if anything changes. By this time you should have more than 80% of your health. You want to have one point in all your skills as well. Make sure you don't stop farming in the jungle! Your w Frozen Domain is the second skill you want because it allows to to farm more quickly and move faster which will help a lot early game! You max Q then W then E (Q>W>E).
You may be wondering when is the best time to sell your potion. I don't upgrade my potion after buying it usually because I feel that it takes up too much space and money in the long run and I usually sell it once I need that little bit of money to get an item I want. That usually happens to me around the 20 minute mark of the game but it can happen at the 30 minute mark if I just don't need any extra money at the time. Basically sell the Refillable Potion when your strapped for cash and don't want to wait for a big item or when you need to make room for other items. the refillable potion sells for 60 gold.
I'm going to give you everything you need to know about his Pillar of Ice. And thus, the only thing we are going to discuss in this section is that beautiful and large pillar. As Trundle's Pillar of Ice is his signature strength, it also has many various uses. And knowing how to use that spell is what makes or breaks Trundle players.
This is the hardest spell to use in his kit, and is indeed the most effective. Use it correctly and you're good to go. You'll maximize your chances of winning, and counter jungle with ease. Mess it up, and yeah.. it will be fine, but you'll play him using less than half of what he can really do, thus not the full potential of the Troll King. Yeah sure, you'll be a rock in the face of the enemy team, with your Subjugate and passive. But remember that you are capable of so much more than that.
You are a troll, who can trap enemies. Forcing them to use there Flash or 1v1 you. Your Pillar of Ice can block completely 23 passages in the jungle. That's a lot, yes I know. And the idea of playing Trundle while totally ignoring this is just absurd.
- The pillar grants sight within 600-range.
- The pillar cannot be placed inside impassable terrain. Attempting to do so will cause the pillar to spawn in the nearest available spot of accessible terrain, similar to wards and pets suchs as Caitlyn's Yordle Snap Trap
- Pillar Of Ice deals 1 damage for it to trigger in-combat effects such as drawing tower aggro and cancelling the effects of out-of-combat abilities such as Strut & Perseverance
- Pillar of Ice may not be is big enough to block off passages in the jungle. Trundle can make the enemy champions stop and just accept their destiny.. But be careful, if they have Flash you'll be the one trapped in the other side of the pillar, be wise young master troll.
A good tactic to keep people on Frozen Domain by placing Pillar of Ice infront if them, which can push them backwards if placed correctly. Allowing you to hit them a couple more times (if out of the jungle), or completely trapping them forcing them to 1v1 you.
- Pillar of Ice can move any player if placed close to him. It can now cancel any channeling spell that requires to stand still like Nether Grasp, Teleport, Infinite Duress, Death Lotus or even recall
- Pillar of Ice has a large sight radius and is very effective to check the brush and slow any potential sneaky gankers.
- Pillar of Ice can be used defensively or offensively near towers. Defensively, underneath your own tower, place the pillar slightly away from your tower when it is being attacked. The enemy will have to brave the slow, a Chomp, and possible tower shot (if they retaliate), just to hit your tower. Offensively, underneath an enemy tower, place the pillar next to their tower when attacking it and they will have trouble chasing you away without being slowed. Be careful when using this under an enemy tower, because it draws turret aggro when an enemy champion touches it.
- Dropping Trundle's Pillar of Ice to separate the enemy team offers some of the best counter initiation as well as initiation in the game. If you find an enemy out of position, a well-placed Pillar of Ice can block off his or her escape, if somehow that enemy doesn't have Flash]] as well as keeping enemy reinforcements from entering the battle. Understanding when to use Pillar of Ice]] for either purpose is important. Pillar of Ice can block reinforcements from entering battle for a while, giving your team a little 5 on 1 quiet time with the initiator alone. Combining this tactic with Trundle's Subjugate can quickly dispatch an enemy, making the teamfight anything but a 5v5.
- Creating new impassable terrain over a champion (whether it is a friendly of enemy player) forcibly knocks him out of any dash animation. This means that, if timed correctly, it can block enemy champions trying to escape (like Tristana's Rocket Jump, Jax's Leap Strike...)or enemy initiations, even unstoppable ultimates (like Malphite's Unstoppable Force, Vi's Assault and Battery or Nocturne's Paranoia) It's extremely hard, but not impossible. It can even save allies, by blocking their path, as they are displaced by enemy abilities like Blitzcrank's Rocket Grab.
- Anivia's Crystallize and Jarvan IV's Cataclysm can provide the same effect, albeit much harder, due to the terrain's smaller area of displacement, or manner in which it is applied.
Please for the love of everything on this earth, NEVER EVER put AoE spells on smartcast.. It's just dumb, specially while playing Trundle. You need to know exactly where your putting your ice pillars. And thus smartcast will not help in anyway or form.
- Green : Fairly easy to block the path, no practice needed. (Chance of succes : 99%)
- Yellow : Can be a bit tricky as you won't block it completely every single time, but you'll do fine in most of it. (Chance of Success : 60%)
- Red & Black : These are just very hard to successfully summon your Pillar of Ice in and trap the enemy(ies). And that's why you need to go train and make sure you learn the EXACT placement of the pillar. These spots need training, and even after that you won't be able to block the enemies every single time. (Chance of Success : 05%)
The boots below are your main choices.
|Mercury's Treads||your go to boots. These boots are best when you are facing a team with a lot of hard cc (very common in this meta). This means you are facing a team with a nautilus sup, morg mid, jinx bot, elise jg, and some one top. The mass amount of stuns this team has means you want as much help getting out of their cc as quickly as possible. These boots will help you do that and give you some magic resist to boot.|
|Ninja Tabi||These boots are best when you are facing some one like a fed master yi, who relies a lot on basic attacks. Basically when you are facing adc's. I use these boots fairly often, they are definitely useful in many situations. These are merc treads are your bread and butter|
The other boots are not viable on trundle. you don't need the attack speed boost really (maybe if your going dmg trundle?), or the magic penn.
This will be a list of easy things that can help improve your Trundle experience and help you better understand him.
- His passive and r Subjugate is benefitted from spirit visage.
- Your q Chomp slows enemies as well as takes their attack damage away.
- Chomp resets your aa, and does bonus damage to towers.
- Frozen Domain give you a lot of movement speed and attack speed so make sure you fight on it. Be sure to save it because the Cool down on it is quite long.
- Your passive can be useful when ganking so if minions die near you, you can gain a lot of health back
- You can smite champs to get a kill or use it as a slow.
- You can e Pillar of Ice before you slow them with your q Chomp if you're having trouble reaching the enemy.
- You can interrupt the enemy, or block pathways with your e Pillar of Ice. It can make ore break a fight so be sure to use it effectively
- Your r Subjugate can be used to kill enemies because of the damage over time tick. It also steals Armor and Magic Resist so use it on the tankiest champion in team fights. Or when you are 1 v 1-ing.
- Your e Pillar of Ice can be used to interrupt jumps, escapes, etc...
- You are a very strong troll running down your enemies, thats pretty cool and scary to face. You have great split pushing potential with your w Frozen Domain, and you melt towers with your q Chomp. You also can 1 v 1 super easily with your r Subjugate
If some one comes to stop you, and you have Subjugate up, be sure to punish them. You should be split pushing near the closest objective that is spawning. If you are top, there should be baron coming up soon or you must have Teleport. If you are bot, then there should be a dragon spawning soon or you must have Teleport This will allow you to get to objectives quickly besides tower.
If you teammates are doing their job they will stall under tower. It is then up to you to take the pressure off them and have the enemy send 1 or 2 champions to go after you. After they go after you, your team should engage on the remaining enemies to kill them. You should run if you feel you can't kill the enemies that are coming to kill you. You must watch the minimap closely and have vision otherwise your split push will just be another way to feed the enemy team.
If your teammates are doing their job they will stall under tower. It is then up to you to take the pressure off them and have the enemy send 1 or 2 champions to go after you. After they go after you, your team should engage on the remaining enemies to kill them. You should run if you feel you can't kill the enemies that are coming to kill you. You must watch the minimap closely and have vision otherwise your split push will just be another way to feed the enemy team.
-Updated for 9.2, No changes
-Updated for 9.1, celerity buffed from 8 to 10%
-Updated for 8.24b, Price increase to tiamat. No change to build
-Updated for 8.24, No changes
-Updated for 8.23, Runes not changed but reasoning why did
-Updated for 8.22, Trundle q is buffed babyyy! base dmg increase and ratio
-updated for 8.21, no changes
-updated for 8.20, 6 more sections added (runes, icy pillar, split pushing, skill sequence, skill info, match ups)
-Updated for 8.19, guide created