Yorick Build Guide by BillCosbyBooty
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Bruiser Yorick 1v5
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Yorick with this build
|Nasus||No threat to you what so ever, just harass him with minions and trap him if he tries to run, should be an easy lane|
|Maokai||Another not much of a threat, can't really out damage you in any way, especially with merc treads.|
With patch 7.14 comes a little nit picking on Yorick. They gave a nerf to his early game, which greatly reduces effectiveness of scaling AD runes and Iceborn Gauntlet. We will now be starting Trinity Force and using flat AD runes. Also changed the boots from swiftness to Ninja Tabi do to effectiveness with Death's Dance.
Pros / Cons
+ Very strong early/mid game
+ Can 2v1 the jungler and laner with Eulogy of the Isles at level 6
+ Counters Darius
+ Very, Very strong splitpusher
+ Good farmer
+ Can be stronger vs multiple enemies with Death's Dance
+ Good CC with Dark Procession
- Low mobility
- Countered by range
- Somewhat difficult to learn
- Falls off hard late game
- Can be easily outplayed
- Useless without ghouls/ult mid/late game
Flash: I tend to only take Flash about 50% of the time. Really it's personal preference between flash and ignite, most of the time you would take Flash, but I like Ignite in general
Ignite: I really like Ignite on Yorick to easier best champions like Fiora or Darius who can heal quite a bit in the midst of a fight.
Teleport:Pretty much a must for most top lane champions. Allows you to get around the map easily, help teammates in tp plays, or just hold your lane or continue a split push.
|All in all a fantastic early game rush item for Yorick. Gives some ad, attack speed, etc... and even that nice phage passive. But you will be crushing your enemies with Last Rites when you finish this item, sending them far far away into the mist. This item is much better for Yorick rather than Iceborn Gauntlet now in patch 7.14 due to the ghoul damage ratio being nerfed early game.|
|This item works very well with the build we are using. Since Yorick heals from Last Rites and we have the healing from Death's Dance we will be getting so much more, plus magic resist from the Spirit Visage.|
|The boots are versatile. Check the notes on my cheat sheet and have fun with your choice of those. I recommend ninja tabi in most cases.|
|This is like THE core item to 1v5 with Yorick This is the unseen item that makes you a god. Your ghouls heal you. That's all there is to it. Ghouls deal INSANE damage mid game and healing 15% of that plus spirit visage makes you a monster.|
|Another ungodly item for Yorick. Gives movement speed bonus for hitting champions and allows you and your ghouls to shred their armor.|
|gives Yorick even more wave clear and a tremendous active with all of your bonus hp.|
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: Why not? Yorick could always use some extra damage from his ghouls right? Right. An alternative for people with less ip would be Quintessence of Attack Damage
- Greater Mark of Armor: Gotta have some resistances right? Only issue is these marks do cost quite a bit of IP, and there aren't really alternatives.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Health: Yorick can always use the extra 215 hp at level 18. Goes well with your Titanic Hydra too. As an Alternative you can use Seal of Armor or Seal of Health
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: If you have armor and health, gotta have some MR too. Alternative can simply be Glyph of Magic Resist
|These masteries ensure increased survival when fighting multiple enemies at once (which you may find yourself doing quite a bit with this strategy). You want to make sure you take Fearless and Legendary Guardian to increase survivability in such situations. Taking Grasp of the Undying allows you to not only deal a bit more damage with Last Rites, but also allows you to heal more from it, meaning you can take some abuse while farming but heal it back up easily. In cunning you just primarily want Assassin and Dangerous Game for the increased damage with no teammates around and survivability.|
- shepherd of souls: Yorick's ghoul raising passive we all know and love. Allows you to raise ghouls with 3 or more tombstones which are placed on the ground from last hitting with Last Rites or when every 12th minion dies around you.
- Last Rites (Q): This is the bread and butter of your kit. It's an auto attack reset with on hit effects such as Iceborn Gauntlet. You want to last hit minions with this as many times as possible in lane to get tombstones, and use it for the extra damage in fights.
- Dark Procession (W): this is a trapping ability sort of similar to a J4 ultimate. Only difference is this can be broken. We want to max this ability last to give it extra hit points and a much shorter cooldown. Use it to trap the opponent then send your minions in for some free damage, also a great move to peel for your team.
- Mourning Mist (E): This is a ranged skillshot spell that does %hp damage if hit. It has a cone-like hitbox and a fair range. If an enemy is hit with this spell, all mist walkers and the maiden will target the champion. This spell can no longer mark minions so no need to worry about that. Max this last, and use it to make your maiden target the back line in teamfights.
- Eulogy of the Isles (R): Has to be undoubtedly one of the strongest ultimates in the game. Makes you impossible to duel against from most top laners and can even help you 2v1 at level 6. When the maiden targets a champion, if you hit said champion, you do a base % of their hp. up to 10% at max rank. This alone is insane. Not to mention she raises mist walkers from things that die around here, and you can just leave her in a lane to split push by herself if you want (I don't recommend it but it does work if you are behind).
Yorick, in my opinion, can outclass Tryndamere in split pushing if done so well. You have the option to leave a maiden in any lane to push by its self with Eulogy of the Isles or you can stay in lane yourself and push at ridiculous speeds with your ghouls.
Early game Yorick has the option to either create a ton of lane pressure or play passive as he pleases. Try to always have 3-4 tombstones at ready for your Shepherd of Souls ghouls and be ready to fight them if they all in your early. I will have another mini-guide on picking fights soon. Try to play safe pre level 6, and just farm it out. When you have enough gold for sheen, back when necessary or at a given chance and buy that for a power spike, then look to fight. Most of the time, if you have level 6 and the enemy jungle does not you can 2v1 for a free double kill. Continue to farm like this until mid game.
By now you should have Iceborn Gauntlet and maybe a couple extra items if fed. Make sure to urge your jungle to help you take rift herald, as the new updates make it incredibly strong for pushing. If you won your lane, you should have had the enemy outer turret destroyed or nearly destroyed by now, so proceed to the second or just help your team/rotate bot lane until team fight time arrives.
Late mid game and early late game is when Yorick is at his absolute peak. You should have about half your build AT LEAST with Iceborn Gauntlet, Spirit Visage, and Death's Dance, hopefully with The Black Cleaver as well. If you haven't used rift herald, be sure to use it because now is your push period. If you are ahead, most likely you can fight multiple enemies at once and open up mid and or bot lane for your team. If you are behind, farm safe for a bit, and help your team in fights and try to catch up, because if you don't, you will need to be carried. If ahead, push, push, push some more and fight if you think you can win.
Yorick has the potential to be a very strong duelist and team fighter depending on the given situation. Of course he can out dueled by champions like Fiora or Riven just because of the sheer strength they bring with them for one on one fights. But remember, most of the time Yorick can 2v1 and win around level 6, so if you get ganked, you don't have to back off just yet.
In the early game you have 2 options. Either pressure hard, then trap and all in, or wait for an all in from the opponent, trap, and kill. For match ups such as Darius or Garen you want to pressure, then trap and all in. A simple way to pressure is last hit minions with Last Rites, then raise the ghouls, trap them with Dark Procession, then use Mourning Mist to send the ghouls at them. As for other matchups such as Renekton or Jax, wait for them to engage and bait their gap closer, then fight. If you want you can step up for a Last Rites and walk away. It's pretty much the same for an all in. At level 6 you need to take Eulogy of the Isles and any opposing laner who isn't at least 2 levels ahead of you and fed would be mental to walk up and try to fight you. For this, you must wait for the opponent to engage, after they do, Dark Procession, and fight. Works the same way for ganks, and always use bushes as a way to hide the summon of your maiden and trap the enemies outside. Remember, you never want to sit there and auto attack them, kite around them and let the ghouls do the damage while using Last Rites as you have a long auto animation that can be punishing.
During your early pushing phase you don't really want to fight unless you have your first damage item. In case you do get forced into a fight, just summon maiden and try to scare them into a disengage at first, but if they don't peel with Dark Procession and Mourning Mist and run. If they still don't leave you alone the maiden and the ghouls should be eating at them, so engage if they were attacked by your minions and try to go for a kill. Really you just want to be safe after early game until you get your Death's Dance.
Now is the time. A new champion of the rift rises. With his handy Death's Dance and The Black Cleaver combo he is unstoppable. Fight them, fight them all. Let no man stand in your way of taking the next turret. Kill them all, distract them all, create a global presence that strikes fear into the hearts of the enemy team. Fight them all, no matter how many they bring, target the mid laner and the ad carry of course. Use Mourning Mist to make your maiden target the squishy champions and subject them to their Last Rites. Show them the power of tank meta and how people deserve to be 100 to 0 in 2 seconds.
Really you only want to teamfight if you aren't ahead, otherwise you can turtle in the top lane and ruin the enemy teams lives. Although, fighting with the team is necessary if they are losing the fights hard and do not have any other tanks on the team. Protect your carries with Dark Procession to keep the assassins off of them, then burst your way through the enemies front lines and try to trap their carries. A rank five Dark Procession should be on a low cooldown with the 40% cdr that comes with the build. Remember to always use Eulogy of the Isles and try to have ghouls to fight, you are practically useless without one of the two.
So guys, that's about it. My guide to Bruiser split push Yorick, hope you enjoyed and learned something new! If you have any questions you can feel free to ask me, I'll try to get back to you.
|Leave a Downvote if you deem necessary and please tell me why so I can fix any issues in the future.||Leave an upvote and help ya boi out so I can build some much needed confidence for myself. (Remember, you can still upvote and blast me in the comments if you want)|
That's it guys! Thanks again and happy shepherding souls!
*Note* HUGE shoutout to Lasoor, I may have stolen a couple ideas from his guide. He is a very talented guide creator and made a fantastic guide for Yorick in the current meta.
Plans for this guide
Hey guys, me again. Just wanted to make a little chapter about my future plans for this guide. I am going to:
- Update Monthly I will be updating this guide monthly to keep current on new patches so everyone can enjoy up to date Yorick gameplay
- Update Immediately I will hot fix this guide in the event that Riot releases a patch that directly affects a top lane matchup or any buffs/nerfs Yorick may have etc...
- Add videos/highlights of my own gameplay to show that I am not just making anything up. I just need to record some and I'll get right on it.
- fix any mistakes that I may have made, as well as accept feedback from discussion and do my best to help with that
- UPDATE I am currently working on editing some videos to post on youtube of some Yorick plays for a montage. I am starting a youtube channel called YorickMoriMain, and I will link some videos to this guide.