This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Good Guy Zilean.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Many will argue the movement speed is unneeded, and more magic penetration should be built. Honestly that's what the Void Staff and Magic Pen Marks do on their own JUST FINE.
I've noticed with or without there's no real difference (even against tanks.) Zilean's AP Scaling allows him to deal insane burst, while pushing a lane. No need for extra magic pen, escaping and entering teamfights is a must for a Zilean player. That's why I capitalize on Movement Speed. Go in; go out, position well and you won't lose.
Out of my 5 games played with this build I've noticed maybe ONE or TWO problems.
1) You'll find yourself running out of mana very quickly before Athene's Holy Grail has been bought, luckily with proper mana management skills you won't have that big of an issue with it. The point in the "Improved Recall" mastery helps alot with this, allows you to get items fast, get back in your lane and maintain the Zilean "Rape" Train.
2) Though you get health buffs, he's not exactly unkillable before his ult. Keep in mind he's still a bit squishy, so maintain positioning at every second of the game. Beware of MIA's, keep your map awareness to a high, and position well and you should not have a problem.
Is this the perfect Zilean build? Not by a long shot, but it does work quite well for common players.
I've provided alternate item builds for you as well (in case if some things just aren't working out somehow.
- Great AP scaling, with great burst.
- Second wind! (Ultimate)
- Easy to manage while being new to Zilean.
- Not exactly the biggest bruiser
- May enter teamfights too early / quickly
- If knocked up / snared / stunned Zilean becomes near useless. His ult is a must in teamfights.
If there's an enemy champ nearby just keep plugging the foe with bombs until they recall, or die!
Also this isn't a Zilean Jungle build, though around 10-12 you could jungle Blue pretty easily if you get the opportunity.
Can also work well Duo Top, (2v1) due to AP burst and mobility (survivability too.)
The build provided basically works itself out.