This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Jungle Shen: The Dark Horse Tank Jungler [UPDATED FOR 7.22]
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Threats & Synergies
Lee Sin is probably Shen's largest counter in the jungle. However, when you complete your jungle item and get a Blade of the Ruined King, your dueling potential skyrockets. Lee Sin will enjoy his early and mid game, but later on, his damage output drops significantly.
Great Sustain in the Jungle! (Comes from passive shield)
Great Ganks! (Just make sure you ping)
Amazing gank set ups with your, ultimate
Super hard to kill late game!
Super Hard to KS with early.
The tankier you get, the more damage you do.
Low Cooldowns with a little CDR (except the ult)
E costs a lot energy at level 1 (use it wisely)
Ult has a long cooldown
Once your E is used in a gank, it't up to your teammate to finish the kill
WARNING!!!! BIG ***** WARNING!! DO NOT IGNORE THIS MESSAGE!!!
After countless games of Shen, and extensive research, I have determined that when you play Shen, most of your teammates will develop a condition called I-Think-Shen-Ult-Is-On-A-10-Second-Cooldown-itis. This is a serious condition that if not properly treated, can lead to increased teammate toxicity, and potentially death of your LP. The only way to treat this condition is to rationalize then that mathematically, a 150 second cooldown is not a 10 second cooldown. In most of the cases I have studied, this reasoning will not work. If all else fails, and your teammate starts giving you a brain aneurysm, you must press the mute button. During this stage, they will wallow in their own toxicity, and then proceed to report your for Refusing to Communicate. And for a small donation of $420.69 a day, you can provide much needed funds for research and potential cures for I-Think-Shen-Ult-Is-On-A-10-Second-Cooldown-itis. Please, don't delay another minute. Pick up the phone and dial 1800-Lel-420-xD for more information on this horrible disease.
Second, your W can block monster auto attacks. Generally, you can only block one, however, if you W the split second before a monster auto-attack hits you, the W will last long enough to dodge 2 autos instead of one.
1.) You are squishy: Hunters machete doesn't make you the tankiest of champs at level 1.
2.) Ability Dilemma: Lets say you were to invade. You would have to start E in hopes that maybe you get a pick on an enemy. However, if you start E, you will have a miserable time clearing you camps since the only damage you will be doing to the monster will be your basic autos. It just isn't worth it.
3.) Clear speed: To be honest, Shen's clear speed is not the greatest at level one. This will allow a lot of time for the enemy jungler to move around the map and possible counter-jungle you as well.
1. Smite Enchantment - If you read the previous version of this guide, you may remember me choosing do go Devourer on this build. Unfortunately, Shen has no more meaningful on hit effects for Devourer to complement. So, it is only reasonable to go Cinderhulk now. Cinderhulk makes for insane scaling with your Passive, Shadow Dash, and Titanic Hydra.
2. Titanic Hydra - An absolute must with this build. The fact that you can deal damage based on your max health is any Shen player's wet dream! Rush this item as soon as possible
3. Boots - To be completely honest, choose the boots that best fit the context of the game. I know that Boots of Swiftness are all the hype, but do not forgot about the other boots. Mercury Treads are great for Shen, giving some MR along with Tenacity which is great for a mobile tank like Shen.
3. Dead Man's Plate - MORE ON HIT DAMAGE. Health, armor, flat damage, move speed, what else needs to be said? Always build unless the enemy team is all AP.
4. Wit's End - Oh yes. The forbidden Item. To be completely honest, the only reason I like this item on Shen is that it is the only tank item that grants attack speed. I feel that some attack speed is great in this build so as to get off all 3 of your Q empowered autos in a timely fashion, and to proc your Titanic Hydra more often.
5. Warmog's Armor - Do I need to explain?
6. Situation Item - This last item slot can include a few things. Items such as Spirit Visage, Randuin's Omen, Thornmail and Zz' Rot Portal (oh yes) can be used here. Use this last slot to adapt better to the needs of the game.