This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Shen - The Flippin Ninja!
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
I am going to do a build on Shen which I have been using for quite some time now. This is my first guide so far so take it easy on me, I would do my best to show you how to make Shen work.
Although, I do not know my way about guides, I do know my way with Shen so lets get started, shall we?
Why did we take what we took?
Greater Seal of Armor - It gives you armor which is vital for a tank in early and late game.
Greater mark of hybrid penetration - It will give you both magic and armor penetration, which is deadly.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist - The build which we are going to make gets us more armor then magic resist so to counter that we have Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist.
Greater Quintessence of Magic Resist - Again, we need more magic resist lol..
The above runes are the ones I go for, shen being a tank is good with them. However, if you want to try any other runes then go forward and tell me the effect, I will try it out as well!
- Sorcery - The cooldown reduction helps early game to hit minions oftener with your Vorpal Blade.
- Blast - The extra AP always helps with abilities such as Shadow Dash and Vorpal Blade.
- Weapon Expertise - You know how much Armor penetration helps, especially in early game when 8% means around 10 to 12 armor.
- Durability - This will give you around 125 hp at level 18, not a bad haul eh?
- Hardiness - we need all the armor we can get, this helps in early game especially.
- Resistance - we also need magic resist along with armor.
- Veteran's Scars - you just got 138 hp at level 18 due to this and Durability .
- This is a very important mastery, it will give you 15% reduction in
slows, which means the choice between life and death.
- Juggernaut - The extra 4% hp helps, we need all we can gather.
- Tenacious - This is gonna give u high tenacity reduction with your boots, Mercury's Treads.
- Block - This helps, sometimes it can help you get away with around 5 hp remaining, due to the fact that it blocked some incoming damage for you!
- Honor Guard - A very good overall stat, gives reduction in damage taken from all types of mediums.
This is how you will max out your abilities. I am going to give a short description of each of them
This is an awesome passive, it deals additional magic damage every 9th second and the 9 sec cooldown in reduced if you use your abilities such as Vorpal Blade. It also returns energy, so do not forget to use basic attacks in fights otherwise you will run out of energy.
This is your bread and butter, you farming tool, your harrassing tool and your last hitting tool. Make constant use of this as it lowers the CD of Ki Strike. It deals good around 250 magic damage to target when fully maxed!
This is your defense mechanism. Whenever oing in a fight, do NOT forget to activate W, it can mean the difference between a kill or you lying dead! This also reduces the CD of Ki Strike by 2 seconds which means already 3 seconds off the CD (if you hit with Vorpal Blade as well.
This is what shen is known for. This ability deals magic damage plus taunts the enemy it hits, making him attack you for 1.5 seconds. Apart from that, during those 1.5 seconds, the damage taken is reduced by 50%!! This ability can be used to save a team member, or tower dive a opponent, to search for invisible enemies like Teemo or Twitch, if cast it will make them attack you even when invisible, thus you will be able to see them. This ability has a lot of uses.
This is why Shen is called a support. This is your personal teleport which can be used to land anywhere where there is a allied champion. It can be cleverly used to tell your teammate to jump in a 1v1 fight and u can protect him and teleport to his location, giving you a kill or an assist. The health this ability provides is 850, with ability power we pick up its around 900 Health, cool right? Pity we cant cast it on ourselves.
- Amazing sustainability.
- Is great at ganking, can use Shadow Dash to taunt.
- Very much fun to play.
- Your teammates love you due to Stand United.
- Is good at harassing during early game with Vorpal Blade.
- No mana issue.
- Not high AD, does medium damage.
- Kill get ksed by team members often, your assists will always be high tho.
- Is not very hard to zone.
- Build is a little expensive.
Starting items should be like this:
with 3x > > > > >
Mid to Late game Items are like this:
> > > >
Why these items?
- Boots and Health Potion give you a good movement speed bonus and the health required to stay in lane for a long time to reach 1k gold asap.
- Mercury's Treads - are the best late game shoes which reduce the duration of CC which is very handy.
- Giant's Belt - gives you 380 more health which helps to give you a competitive advantage over your opponent, it builds into Sunfire Aegis.
- Chain Vest - gives 40 straight armor which is handy if your opponent is Ad. I only buy this because it also builds into Sunfire Aegis, you may skip buying this item if you think on your next trip back you will have 1650 gold to buy Sunfire Aegis.
- Sunfire Aegis - The ulimate tank item. This item gives you 450 health and 45 armor as well as an awesome passive. It deals 40 magic damage to nearby enemies PER second.
- Phage - Again, this item increases your health as well as give you somewhat of an slow which is although unreliable, is handy. This builds into Frozen Mallet so I buy it.
- Frozen Mallet - A very powerful item. This item will give you all the health you need (700 of it) with an epic passive, now your basic attacks slow your enemies so they cant get away!
- Recurve Bow - Gives you the required attack speed bonus for the time being after which you can build this item into Wit's End.
- Wit's End - Again a core item for our build. Gives + 40% attack speed with 25 magic resist which is ever handy. It also has an great passive, now your basic attacks deal 42 magic damage and increase your magic resist by 5 everytime you hit someone with your basic attack.
- Blade of the Ruined King - I take this item for AD and its lifesteal, this will enhance your damage output greatly combined with Wit's End and Sunfire Aegis.
- Randuin's Omen - This item is a very good defensive item for Shen as it gives 500 health as well as 70 armor and an amazing passive, whenever someone hits you with basic attack his movement and attack speed will be slowed! The active of this item can also be used to throw down chases or to catch someone, making you almost invincible!
There are a lot of items you can buy as well, but I don't recommend Warmog's Armor or Atma's Impaler. The health warmog will give you is compensated by Frozen Mallet and Randuin's Omen, making Warmog's Armor worthless. These two items also have a epic passive which Warmog's Armor lacks. As for Atma's Impaler I believe you can get much better items at the same cost or lower cost!
- Why take flash? That's very easily answered. Flash has a number of uses, it will help you get out of sticky situations or help u chase a running enemy. You can Flash your way nearer to the enemy and then hit him with Vorpal Blade to finish him off or Shadow Dash him and force him to attack you. As for running away, you can always flash for a tower dive or Flash through walls to enhance the distance between you and the chaser. Flash has great uses and its a must on nearly all champions.
- Ignite is a very handy tool which helps you finish off running enemies. If you see an enemy running with like 200 health, just ignite him and go away, the ignite will o the damage! This can be also used for enemies who are fond of tower diving, you dont need to chase enemies once they are ignited so their tower dive will fail.
Another optional summoner spell:
- Again, a very effective tool which gives you overall placement in map. you can teleport to your allied champion location and help him fight or provie cover to him. The reason I don't take Teleport is because we al;ready have a global Teleport from our great ulti, Stand United! However, there is still another way in which this can help, look below in hints and tips section for that.
- Always harrass a squishy champion like Fiora with your Vorpal Blade. She cant solo you, so once you get your Giant's Belt, jump in on her using Shadow Dash.
- Always keep your eye on the map, having map awareness is a priority, your ulti requries you to see when a teammate will need you the most.
- When chasing an enemy or running away, you can use Shadow Dash to pass through walls, just stand at the edge and shadow dash to the other end of wall.
- Before initiating a fight, always remember to activte Feint, it can mean the diffrence between life or death.
- Make use of your basic attacks!! Shen passive Ki Strike is an awesome passive and you need to do basic attacks if you want to hit your enemy with that!
- Sometimes, your teammate is found running away from a whole team gang, the only way to save him is your ulti, Stand United but we dont want to land in middle of 5v1 right? So if you use your ulti, it will teleport you to the target location, however there is one way you can avoid teleporting and give health as well, that's by using your ulti and Teleport to a nearby turret. This will both use your ulti and your summoner spell Teleport so choose it wisely.
- If you want to return to base, then make sure your lane is pushed to near oppoenent turret, if you think you dont have much health to do that, then call your jungler to hold your lane until you come back.
- In teamfights, you will be expected to initiate as you are the tank, do this by Shadow Dash.
- The items given in this build are not hard and fast, you can build shen situationally as well. For example, you can get a Abyssal Mask instead of Blade of the Ruined King. Abyssal Mask works magnificently with the passsive of Sunfire Aegis.
- Always remind you team that your ulti is up, so they can initiate a fight if you want even with you miles away.
- Always ward the bushes so you can see an enemy jungler coming at you and take the proper steps.
That's all I can think of for now, I will add more as I come across more tips.
This is the recommended way about how to build Shen. Feel free to try tour own experiments and come up with something new and inform me about it. I hope you rock the party with Shen after trying out my build, Feel free to ask any questions you may wish and please vote the guide up if you like it. This is my first guide so far so let's see how it goes. If you are really impressed, please + rep me. Thanks for reading my guide, even tho you would have skipped some parts I think :D.