Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

zilean "core items"

Creator: MrBucketz June 17, 2011 5:25pm
1 2 3 4
MrBucketz
<Member>
MrBucketz's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2011 5:25pm | Report
Hey guys,

just started playing zilean. Guides seem all over the place on him. I know he is kinda a ***** to play in pubs etc, but I want to give him a try. I'm wondering what a solid base of 3-4 core items would be on him. I have been playing around with building an early philo stone or two, then maybe soul shroud....but I dunno, real zilean newbie here.
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2011 5:34pm | Report
zil's a support champ, so you really gotta build by team. I like building mana manip first if my team has a lot of mana, otherwise i rush tear first. After that I go for a glacial shroud for the CDR or if you want more AP damage you can go for a morello's evil tome. Having max CDR on zil essentially means that none of his abilities have a cooldown, so I usually go that route, but you can also build him straight up AP if you want more damage on the bombs and more heal from the ult. I also recommend merc treads or sorc boots.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2011 5:52pm | Report
CDR is pretty important since your utility in fights is basically your ultimate. With enough CDR and your Rewind spam, you can basically have your ultimate up for every fight. Note though that Zilean does get quite mana intensive so as theBMB said, you'll probably want a lot of mana.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2011 9:20pm | Report
I like Off-tank Zilean. >.<
Defianc4
<Member>
Defianc4's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 18, 2011 12:00pm | Report
I use a combination of Tr4ce's old and new Zilean guides.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/zil-the-protector-75015
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/zil-the-protector-killer-13767

I usually go:

doran's ring
catalyst
boots
tear of the goddess
sorc shoes
negatron cloak
banshee's veil
3% mana=ability power rod
Deathfire Grasp
Guardian Angel
Rabadon's

While I think Tr4ce's old guide is no longer worthwhile since Zilean's ult got nerfed, his new guide is still a bit too weak for my tastes.

I deifnitely don't like Zilean being the packhorse for team items; it makes his ult rather underachieving.

Zilean really needs to be heavy on ap in order to do damage and ressurect champions with tons of health, and the deathfire grasp gives him a small amount of cdr in order to allow his abilties to be used slightly more often.

Banshee's veil and guardian angel have great synergy, making him a bulky caster who will not go down easily.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 18, 2011 6:57pm | Report
Catalyst the protector

I shun Tear of the Goddess because it gives you no health. The raw AP of Archangel's Staff isn't worth it either. I supplement my need for AP with Abyssal Mask and Rabadon's Deathcap which are far more functional.

Catalyst the protector gives you good regeneration, and solid extra health.
Rod of Ages is superior to Archangel's Staff on Zilean in my opinion, giving relatively similar mana and AP, with health that's good for surviving when you're learning.
You can also build a Banshee's Veil early game if you perceive that it'd be more useful. Catalyst offers these kinds of choices.

Ionian Boots of Lucidity combined with Soul Shroud give you the effective cooldown reduction to be the best Zilean you can be.

The thing you need to remember is that early game, you are mana-restrained. So you have to be very careful with how much you cast. Always give spaces in between bombs for your mana to regenerate to the cost.
Always have at least enough to do the Q+W+Q double bomb combo.

And no, Tear of the Goddess does not help early game for mana-costs, Catalyst + Mana manipulator is just as good. Tear of the Goddess is a late-game item compared to the two mentioned and restricted Zilean's item build early game.
Zilean shines best early to mid game where his Heightened Learning can offer good players a level advantage.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 18, 2011 6:58pm | Report
no advertising allowed

:<
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 9:44am | Report
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 11:55am | Report
Offtank? ********..
It's not a bad build though.
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." - Mike Rogers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 8th congressional district, 2013
I.e: Mike Rogers doesn't think it's rape unless the victim knows (s)he has been raped. Sounds legit.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 1:06pm | Report
Zil is a support champion but nobody mentions gold items on him?

I'd say you always want either 2 philosopher's stone's or 1 philo and 1 Heart of Gold

Mercury's Treads are almost always the best boots from him considering a split second longer on a stun could make you not be able to ult someone (and therefore not fulfill your role) Why people build swiftness boots on him will always confuse me, CDR boots are ok though. Even buying CDR boots first (since he doesn't have much farm and needs CDR) and selling them later for merc treads is a good idea as well, but I would never buy any other boots.

Since you need philo stones, and you need CDR, I would also consider Shurelya's Battlesong a core item on him. It will give you some nice survivability and support for your team as well.

The rest is situational. He needs CDR for his rewinds and he needs AP for his ult, and some survivability to not be insta-killed and therefore not be able to ult. Base your survival items on the other team, or your support items based on your team.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide