Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

A question about Tankplank....

Creator: PsiGuard July 13, 2011 1:18am
1 2
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 1:18am | Report
So I recently bought Gangplank because I did quite well with him last time he was on rotation. I've been looking through the forums, and I hear a lot of people recommending an atmog's build, but neglecting a triforce or infinity edge.
My question is, why is "Tankplank" such a better choice than a simple DPS/crit build? I don't see many Tryndamere builds going atmogs for tanky offense (granted, Trynd has his OP ult).

The build I usually use goes something like this:
Doran's Shield
Boots
Avarice Blade
Sheen
B. F. Sword
Boots of Swiftness
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Trinity Force
Bloodthirster or Last Whisper (if they stack armor)

I know some of these items aren't always ideal (Last Whisper conflicts a bit with the flat arpen from Ghostblade), but I'm not really asking for a criticism of my build. I'm wondering what why a more offensive build like this is less effective than warmogs+atma's+veil. As a crit-monster, shouldn't Gangplank be aiming for as much damage potential as possible, harrassing with parrrley then springing in for the kill? Is he an offtank? Or are both of these builds equally viable and I'm imagining that no one else builds him glass dps?
Thanks to Nyoike for the sig!
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 8:17am | Report
He's not really an off-tank. According to League, he a carry. He does crazy damage and, he only really needs one defensive item.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Keels
<Editor>
Keels's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 10:50am | Report
Yeah, shoot for a Banshee's Veil. Really, tankplank is too much of a sacrifice of damage. Atmogs doesn't help with Parrrley, I don't think, because it doesn't increase your damage, it's just the stat is applied on your attacks, but not counted in your attack score.

Either that, or Atma's Impaler is the weirdest worded item in the game.

I think my build is a decent mix of versatility, survivability, and damage.

Phantom Dancer Infinity Edge Mobility Boots Bloodthirster Last Whisper Banshee's Veil

Gangplank is not an offtank. Build a decent amount of defense, but focusing on defense kinda makes you worthless. I really don't think "tankplank" is the better choice to dps/crit.

I don't care about my rep, but you can +rep if you want to.
Keels
<Editor>
Keels's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 10:54am | Report

I don't care about my rep, but you can +rep if you want to.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 12:04pm | Report

Fail

Quoted:
Atmogs doesn't help with Parrrley, I don't think, because it doesn't increase your damage, it's just the stat is applied on your attacks, but not counted in your attack score.

Bigger fail

PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 2:39pm | Report
As Searz so eloquently put, I'm pretty sure atmogs increases your attack damage value. The in-game stat on your champion changes, just like building an Archangel's Staff.

Also, I will never build a Manamune on Gangplank as I think it is a great big waste of money, since I rarely have any mana problems. Not a fan of Black Cleaver either since I play more bursty crit and less sustained DPS. Black Cleaver is better suited to a champion (or player) who relies more on autoattacks.

Searz, I think I've seen you recommend a tankier gangplank once before. Is there a good reason that this build is used?
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
RoIand#64773
<Member>
RoIand#64773's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 2:48pm | Report
As long as you can get a lotta farm going for you (using parley for dat extra gold) tankplank is really viable. Atmogs make you tanky, gives you attack, and crit chance to boot. After that I would probably get a BT or Triforce sometime and another item of your choice/
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 3:12pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Fail

Bigger fail

I was thinking the same thing when glancing through lol...

tanky plank is AWESOME...and he still carries

mercs

IE

TF

2 tanky items (SFC and BV)

atma

build Chandro told me and it seems to work wonders, in game and mathematically

think of it

you are survivable, especially with ur W cleanse

atma scales off AD from SFC and BV so you get +50 ish with that

(you don't need Warmog to warrant an atma's, lol)

proc from TF with parley, sooo sexy (plus its stats ofc)

mercs for ultimate CC reduce

and IE for crit chance, AD, and passive ofc

60%ish crit chance

use your E for more Ad

around 300 AD with E

crit parley with this build, over 1k damage if you E first

since you will get crit ofc, with IE passive, plus parley's damage, plus TF proc = win

nuff said.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 4:11pm | Report
No room for arpen in that build, but I'm sure I could take out banshee's veil or something if need be. I think I would still take warmogs over sunfire cape though, as I'm not always in the fray enough for the aura to be useful, plus I get armor from atma's. Not to mention Gangplank farms like a beast by midgame, so warmog's is quite easy to stack up.

What about attack speed though? Especially with his new stacking poison, this build doesn't seem to offer a lot of AS, just the Zeal from triforce.

Seems pretty good in theory. I might keep this build in reserve in case my team's lacking in CC or a tank or something. I still think I would opt for more crit and AS, but I'll definitely try out tankplank.
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2011 4:38pm | Report

2 tanky items (SFC and BV)

...and BIGGEST FAIL!

Nah, I just wanted to follow through on that :3
SFC works, but is suboptimal. You'll want Warmog or Ghostblade more.

PsiGuard wrote:

What about attack speed though?

AS marks are great for junglers. You'll also pretty much have enough from just TF and the Ghostblade active. It's 55% combined after all.

Quoted:
Searz, I think I've seen you recommend a tankier gangplank once before. Is there a good reason that this build is used?

He's melee. Sure Q, but it's not enough. Melee=needs bulk.
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide